Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Guavagto

Aug 30, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #1 of 25 (20781 views)

Shortcut

My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi I am Norma and I live in San Miguel de Allende.I am a regular on the Thorn Tree and on Rolly's advice signed up here.

My husband and I have lived in Mexico for 6 years with FM3s. We have purchased cars/trucks in Texas. When we crossed to pick up the cars we canceled the old car permit. We came back with the car/truck and got a new FM3 sticker. No problem.

We purchased a new truck last week and arrived at the border in Nuevo Laredo with dealer plates, bill of sale/invoice showing 100 percent ownership of the car and an application for title.

We ended up with only a FMT sticker. They were extremly interested in the end date of our FM3s. They tied the sticker to the end of the FM3 Jan 9th of next year. We plan on crossing into Texas around December 21 and can have the sticker removed before Jan 9th. We can only apply for a new FM3 on the Dec. 9th and it will take 2 weeks to get it back. Big mistake having an ending date in Jan. since we always travel during this period. When traveling before we would obtain a letter saying we had applied for a new FM3 and used this to travel with.....

We will return to Nuevo Laredo about Jan 16th. No FM3 unless we have it FedExed to Texas.

Was this because we did not have a the title and registration or is there a new rule that only allows you to obtain an FM3 sticker linked to the end date of your FM3. It was the only line giving out car permits.

How did I screw up?

Is there a new rule requiring the FM3 sticker be renewed each year?

Rolly

Aug 30, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #2 of 25 (20763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guavagto] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

No, Norma, you did not screw up, nor do you need to do anything. Your car permit is good so long as your FM3 is good. The expiration date only means the permit is no good after that date unless you have renewed your FM3. Look here to see the law, which you should copy and carry with you in the car: http://rollybrook.com/article_106.htm

Rolly Pirate

sioux4noff

Aug 30, 2007, 7:48 PM

Post #3 of 25 (20760 views)

Shortcut

That is exactly how our new car permit was processed. Rolly is correct (as always), the expiry date of your car permit will be the expiry date of your current FM3. We only got about 2 months on the car permit, but knew it was tied to the FM3 renewal so weren't worried. There is no difference in the car permits, as far as I know, with an FMT or FM2 or 3. The permit is good as long as your immigration status is good.
You mention "dealer plates." Like the paper kind? How will you get your permanent plates?
We bought a new car in Texas in July, and received our permanent plates the day after we paid for the car. We received the application for title and invoice as well. I copied the part off the Banjercito website showing accptable proof of ownership since we didn't have a real title yet. I'm glad I did that, it seemed to help the clerk at the Colombia office.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Aug 30, 2007, 7:49 PM)

Guavagto

Aug 31, 2007, 7:53 PM

Post #4 of 25 (20679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

Well I am feeling much better about the car permits.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

We had thought we would simply have the plates mailed to our Laredo mail address where the car is registered. Our mail service would bring them to SMA. Sometimes we have problems with the service (rarely) and a second plan would be to send them to my daughter's address in Austin and have her bring them down in Oct. We have untill Tuesday to decide and phone the dealer.

We have solved some of our car issues by keeping liability insurance on the truck in Texas. We use our Laredo address for that also.

We have switched to OIG insurance for Mexico because they have a local representative we really trust plus offices in the US. I was able to change the Mexican insurance by calling the office in California.

I am still worring about taking the sticker off in Dec. and trying to get another one without a new FM3 in Jan. Maybe copies of my husbands FM3 plus the letter of processing from Migration would work.

Norma

Georgia

Sep 1, 2007, 7:47 AM

Post #5 of 25 (20643 views)

Shortcut

We go back and forth to Texas regularly and never have our sticker removed. Yes, I know there is a risk if the car is demolished or stolen. In that case, we would simply buy a car in Mexico, and be done with it. If your FM-3 is still being processed you can get a letter authorizing your departure and return and stating the dates which should suffice for returning. Frankly, I've never had the border folks check my car sticker, although I know most of them by now any way.

nlnic

Sep 1, 2007, 3:04 PM

Post #6 of 25 (20604 views)

Shortcut

I was getting ready to post a couple of questions and they kind of relate here, so...
My husband got his FM3 on Thursday, I got the permit ordered at the Banjercito site today and noticed that there isn't a separate option for FM3 status when you get the permit online, only for "Tourist" and "Mexican national". So it does appear, at least, that there is NOT a difference in car sticker for tourist or FM3. My hope is that we don't get to the border and have a problem. I know we have to have his FM3 stamped when we cross but figured getting the permit for the car online would eliminate at least one line to stand in. Please let me know what else must be done.
My other question is that the Banjercito site, when asking for the type of vehicle, states that the load limit is 3 1/2 tons not including the weight of the vehicle. Since we plan on doing the menaje de casa ourselves in Feb or Mar, and had planned on driving our F250 flatbed down pulling a large gooseneck trailer with household stuff inside, how will that work. I really feel we'll have more than 7000# and even though I'll be bringing the F250 and empty trailer back to CO, will I be able to permit it for the drive down with the trailer of "stuff"? Any info will help...thanks,
Nancy
Con mi corazon en Mexico!

bournemouth

Sep 1, 2007, 3:11 PM

Post #7 of 25 (20602 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nlnic] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

Nancy I can't help you with the weight and size of vehicle question - but you are fine with the vehicle permit. The permit remains good as long as the FM3 is in effect, and that includes the renewal periods. You have nothing to worry about on that score.

With luck, someone else will chime in on the size of the vehicle etc. Good luck on the trip down.

Rolly

Sep 1, 2007, 6:24 PM

Post #8 of 25 (20578 views)

Shortcut

You are fine with a Ford F250 pickup. It is rated at 3/4 ton which is a lot less than the 3.5 ton limit. The trailer and its load don't count. It is not how much you are caring; it's the manufacturer's rating that counts.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Sep 1, 2007, 9:21 PM

Post #9 of 25 (20556 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

Hello Nancy,

You mention that your husband has an FM3. You now have me wondering about yourself. Are you a Mexican citizen? If not you too will need an immigration document of some kind. So far as I know--and somebody will correct me if I am wrong--the FM3 covers only one person although the money requirement for your husband is that for the two of you. So do you too, have an FM3? Are you planning to get an FMT (tourist)? Or have you forgotten something in your other worries? Or am I completely wrong and the FM3 can be issued for a pair?

Adiós. jerezano

Bloviator

Sep 2, 2007, 7:04 AM

Post #10 of 25 (20530 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

Good advice we received before coming here was to have one person get an FM3 and use that to import our goods. The other entered on an FMT and then later converted it to an FM3, allowing us to bring in more goods. We didn't have a lot on the second trip, but it was helpful.

nlnic

Sep 2, 2007, 1:45 PM

Post #11 of 25 (20491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

That's exactly what we're doing. My husband just got FM3, I'll go in on FMT, he will convert to FM3 - Work when we get to Bucerias and starts work there. As soon as I go for a doctor visit (and hopefully not a surgery too) I fly back to CO to work here in my business and try to finish our house. If all goes well with his job, etc. and I find someone to work my business and our house sells (that's a lot, but "anything's possible") I'll get FM3 too. This way, you got it, we can do 2 menaje's, since we're moving it ourselves. Also plan on eventually moving a couple of horses down, all with the F250....thanks Rolly, I knew you would know, the wording just threw me on the Banjercito site.
I will try to post often and let everyone know how it all goes...I know that has helped me over the years to read the experiences of all the folks that have gone before. We've been trying to make this move for many years, now it's all coming together...
Nancy
Con mi corazon en Mexico!

jl1

Oct 27, 2007, 3:12 PM

Post #12 of 25 (20363 views)

Shortcut

Hi--This is an interesting thread for me because my wife and I are moving to Sayulita, Nayarit in Aug. 08. Couple of questions...does anyone know if it is possible to rent a small truck or cargo trailer in U.S. and return it after a couple weeks? Also, "banjercito cite" has been mentioned a few times here. What is that? Thanks...Jack L.

Rolly

Oct 27, 2007, 4:20 PM

Post #13 of 25 (20352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

You cannot bring a U-Haul into Mexico, but you might be able to find some pickup and trailer you could rent. With the proper paperwork, you could drive it into Mexico.

Banjercito is a bank owned by the army. This bank is where you pay the fee for a vehicle permit. They have a website where you can order your permit in advance. Look here: http://rollybrook.com/vehicle_permits.htm

You may find some of the other articles on my website useful in planning your move. Start with this one: http://rollybrook.com/...o_move_to_mexico.htm

Rolly Pirate

jl1

Oct 28, 2007, 2:04 PM

Post #14 of 25 (20316 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the reply, Rolly. I've been following the forum for about a month now and have found a wealth of info. I think renting a trailer would also work, as I will be purchasing an suv. Sayulita, as you may know has only a few cobblestone roads in the center of the village. All other roads are heavily rutted dirt and often very steep. I'm also considering purchasing a Haulmark type cargo trailer with the hope/intention of selling it when we get there. Most of what we are bringing is art, lamps and other small stuff. No furniture or large things. I digress. Do you know of any companies that rent cargo trailers that can go sob? Thanks...Jack Lieberum, Berkeley, Ca.

Rolly

Oct 28, 2007, 2:10 PM

Post #15 of 25 (20313 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
...purchasing a Haulmark type cargo trailer with the hope/intention of selling it when we get there.

That is not allowed. You must take it out when your vehicle leaves. The trailer will be listed on you vehicle permit.

Rolly Pirate

jl1

Oct 28, 2007, 2:32 PM

Post #16 of 25 (20304 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, Rolly...I just read your article on moving to mex, etc. Very helpful. We may just go the mover route. We did a similar move to Ibiza, Spain in 1971. Everything got there ok. Sayulita is just so far off the beaten path. There are no warehouses or such to ship to. We'll work it out. Thanks again....Jack

sioux4noff

Oct 30, 2007, 10:52 PM

Post #17 of 25 (20226 views)

Shortcut

Sayulita is just so far off the beaten path.

Sayulita is pretty darn close to the beaten path. It is only about a 45 miute drive from the Puerto Vallarta airport. True, no warehouses to ship to, not sure if you could even find that in Vallarta.

bournemouth

Oct 31, 2007, 7:15 AM

Post #18 of 25 (20209 views)

Shortcut

If you go the mover route, the Mexican mover will undoubtedly have somewhere to store your goods. However, why do you need a storage spot - are you waiting to buy a place or rent a place? If so, why not have the goods stored in the US and then moved down when you are ready to receive them.

jl1

Oct 31, 2007, 5:47 PM

Post #19 of 25 (20175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] My First Posting: FM3 Problems With Cars

We are in the process of building and the basic construction should be done this Spring (Mexican time). I am not looking for a storage place as such, just speculating where I could pick up my goods, probably in P.V. Nothing larger than a pickup or small flatbed can negotiate the road to my property. In addition, we are not selling our house in Berkeley and plan on purchasing most of the furnishings for the new place locally. What we are bringing down is mostly art, sculpture, stained glass panels and lamps, and the like. We also have an antique Tibetan painted door and other Asian sculpture. I'm not sure I want to entrust a shipper with these objects which, although not super valuable, have a special value to us. This why I am leaning toward hauling a small cargo trailer. What I might do is purchase and register a cargo trailer and drive it back nob in a year or so after the move and sell in the U.S. Any suggestions or comments on that? I really do appreciate the feedback.

sioux4noff

Oct 31, 2007, 11:09 PM

Post #20 of 25 (20150 views)

Shortcut

Any suggestions or comments on that?

I know several people who moved their goods down by trailer to the Puerto Vallarta area. The mountainous part after Guadalajara or Tepic depending on your route, is a very tough drive with a trailer. That, added to higher tolls, several stops by authorities, additional gas for pulling a trailer, slower going in general, have made those people wish they had found a different option.

jl1

Nov 1, 2007, 1:18 PM

Post #21 of 25 (20115 views)

Shortcut

That makes sense. I've done that drive down from Tepic in a car, stuck behind a very slow moving truck. My concern right now is the fragility of the items we are contemplating bringing down with us. I too, have heard stories about traffic stops, etc. I think we'll just have to deal with that as it occurs. The good news is that I haven't purchased a vehicle or trailer yet, so my options are still open. Thanks for the input.

bournemouth

Nov 1, 2007, 2:44 PM

Post #22 of 25 (20100 views)

Shortcut

Movers are well used in Mexico to having to off load on to smaller vehicles in order to get stuff to a property. It might work for you.

jl1

Nov 2, 2007, 4:42 PM

Post #23 of 25 (20057 views)

Shortcut

Thanks everyone for the input. I've decided to buy a cargo trailer and bring it back over the border whenever and sell it for whatever. I do have another question: My wife and I are wondering if we can get fm3's for our daughter and husband, who will be spending part of every year with us. They are in the music/film business and can work anywhere. Anybody?

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Nov 2, 2007, 5:31 PM

Post #24 of 25 (20053 views)

Shortcut

Your daughter and husband will have to get their own FM3s with all of the same rules & conditions applying to each.
Of course they may not be able to work in Mexico being non Mexican citizens, and/or be willing to work for Mexican wages..
Getting older and still not down here.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Nov 2, 2007, 5:36 PM)

tonyburton / Moderator

Nov 2, 2007, 5:44 PM

Post #25 of 25 (20047 views)

Shortcut

Unless they are your dependents, they have to apply/qualify for their own FM3s.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4