Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

geri

Aug 21, 2007, 4:57 AM

Post #1 of 8 (2864 views)

Shortcut

DEAN

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey, you guys out there in Quintano Roo, please check in and give us an on-the-ground report when you can. Thinking of you and wishing you a high and dry spot.

I'm in USA glued to TV hurricane news. Amazing storm!!!

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Aug 21, 2007, 5:13 AM

Post #2 of 8 (2860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] DEAN

I am in the hotel zone of Cancun. Lots of wind and especially strog gusts. Not much rain. Let's keep the folks down south in our thoughts and prayers.

I have heard that there is a lot of flooding in downtown Cancun but that happens everytime it rains. I expect to go to work when the wind dies down and will report more as soon as I can get out. Thanks to all for the good thoughts!!

geri

Aug 21, 2007, 5:18 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jim in Cancun] DEAN

According to early morning reports on TV, it seems as if the Mexicans were well-prepared for Dean, but we won't know for sure for several hours. I bet there will be lots of flooding/landslides in the poor mountainous regions as Dean travels on through, if he continues as projected. Sad! Thanks for your report, Jim. Keep us posted.

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Aug 21, 2007, 6:32 AM

Post #4 of 8 (2850 views)

Shortcut

Trying for the third time to post. Not sure what happens except internet comes and goes I guess. Wind is dying down finally but gusts have been strong most of the early morning.

Preparations were great--exaggerated if anything but better safe than sorry. I hope to get out soon and will post later.

raferguson

Aug 21, 2007, 2:09 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2808 views)

Shortcut

The government reports that they know of no deaths. They plan to open all the "vias of comunication" in 24 hours.

Of course, the reports tend to come in slowly from the more devastated areas, but the press coverage indicated that the military and civil authorities were working very hard before the hurricane to get people out of low lying areas and out of houses made of wood and tin.

"En conferencia de prensa, Francisco Ramírez Acuña, secretario de Gobernación, informó que “no tenemos ningún reporte de pérdida de vidas humanas” en las tres entidades afectadas. " From El Universal, 3 PM Tuesday.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

geri

Aug 21, 2007, 2:56 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] DEAN

that's amazing! Pero, gracias a dios!!!

hopalog

Aug 23, 2007, 7:32 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2724 views)

Shortcut

You can check our blog; we evacuated to Cancun (Costco/Mega parking lot, Jim) and spent the night in the trailer there. Lots of rain but only isolated strong gusts, otherwise it was simply windy. Came back down to PaaMul (15km south of Playa del Carmen) and I'm really glad we left. 20ft waves and ocean made it's way to the palapas on the other side of the road from us. No damage anywhere but the beachfront palapas have a LOT of cleanup to do. We were robbed in Cancun but all 4 kids are happy and healthy and we're so lucky we didn't evacuate to Chetumal (our first choice and destination on Sunday). We are now looking to see what we can do for the folks in Chetumal and Bakalar etc.

I was ASTOUNDED by Mexico's intelligence and expertness in response and preparation for the cane. Police, military, food, kitchens, earthmovers, all in place BEFORE it hit. 150 trucks from CFE sent to Chetumal the morning after. Simply and AMAZING presence. The US could really take a huge lesson from Mexico.

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

geri

Aug 23, 2007, 8:08 AM

Post #8 of 8 (2713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] DEAN

I'm so glad to get your firsthand report. From what I've been watching on CNN (I'm in the States at the moment) it sounded as if Mexico was preparing to keep people as safe as possible and to help them with aftermath. Of course, U.S. reporters aren't making any comparisons or giving Mexico any credit. At least not the ones I've listened to.

When Rich and Paulina struck the Oaxacan coast within a couple weeks of each other in October (1997 or 98) the palapas on the beaches looked like squashed mushrooms.They didn't rip apart, but the supports that held them up were washed away, and the roofs just sat on the beach. Is that what it's like in Yucatan right now? There was much havoc (loss of homes and life) in the mountains due to mudsides. I fear for the mountainous people on the Gulf side of Oaxaca and Veracruz.

I was in a flash storm in PV once when mud came down the hills. It was inches deep on the streets and the Mexicans had it cleaned up within hours. It looked like weeks worth of work to me! The barrier islands in Florida got hard hit by Charlie (?) a couple years ago. My girlfriend who lived there emailed me about a week or 10 days later that Mexicans came in and cleaned it up.

Geri, back in Oaxaca soon

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4