Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

mlnew

Aug 15, 2007, 6:55 PM

Post #1 of 12 (8392 views)

Shortcut

Colima, Colima advise Help?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Help Colima Area?
Hello, My name is Mike I've read a lot of the forum material past and present. I like the format and decided to make my first post. My wife and I are in the process of making the move to Mexico. Maria, my wife is a Mexican Citizen and has found a home in the outskirts of Colima that she really wants to retire to.
I'm all for that, we have driven the through Colima every year for going on twenty from the linea en San Luis Rio Colorado, hasta su Pueblo of Villa Victoria Michoacan.
My only questions are, Is Colima far enough off of the tourist route? I know that alot of Tourists are in Manzanillo (experienced that).
She is looking at a place called and excuse my spelling (Guaysimas) which I've passed many times but never stopped. I believe it to be to the south and east of Colima en la camino a Michoacan.
We are not heading there until December to check it out but my second question is there anyone one on these forums living in Colima? or close to it?
To be totally honest every year has been a blur the goal has always been to visits, Tio;s,Tia's, mi compadre, Bodas y Babtisos ecetera ecetera. I had thought and we were going to purchase in Michoacan until recently so would like to be a bit more informed about Colima, Any information would be greatly valued, Thank you for you time and responces. Gracias para su tiempo y sus respuestas.

Mike, Miguel New
MIKE

"Commitment is what transforms promise into reality" A. Lincoln

(This post was edited by mlnew on Aug 15, 2007, 7:43 PM)

Don

Aug 15, 2007, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 12 (8382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mlnew] Colima, Colima advise Help?

I live about 1 hour south of Colima, Colima in the state of Jalisco. I have family and friends living in Colima, Colima. I find the town very clean and easy to drive in when visiting. They have great shopping and I prefer to shop there instead of Guadalajara, which is 1 hour north of my town. They also have many good restuarants. I have never run into many tourist in the town, but they do get some. Most foreigners I see in that area are students from Canada and the U.S. Colima, Colima has excellent access to the beachs. The only reason I don't live in Colima, Colima is the heat and humidity, which sometimes is worse that the ocean areas. I haven't heard of the town you call (Guaysimas).

sparks

Aug 16, 2007, 9:26 AM

Post #3 of 12 (8356 views)

Shortcut

Guasimas looks east of town at the end of the road. The airport is on that side of the highway but further north. Pretty country but like Don said, hot in the summer

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

mlnew

Aug 16, 2007, 9:55 AM

Post #4 of 12 (8350 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Colima, Colima advise Help?

Thanks to Don & Sparks for your input.
I'm hopefull that the weather won't be a whole lot different than here in Central California, my better half assures me that its nicer in Colima. It's just Colima has never been our end destination so, Trying to get as informed as possible. I've never spent a night in Colima and our trips there have been flying in and driving out or driving through.
Heat in itself dosen't bug me alot, We have a small house in San Luis Rio Colorada, Sonora, close to (Yuma, Az) Have had that for a number of years and love our fraccinamento dearly well the people there anyway.
I've also never noticed in Colima lots of turisum, from other websites it seems to be a destination for Mexicans to relocate to and as Don mentioned students, good University located in Colima.
I really appreciate the input and if anyone else out there has info, please contribute.

Mike
MIKE

sparks

Aug 16, 2007, 12:35 PM

Post #5 of 12 (8334 views)

Shortcut

Don Porter has a nice section on Colima from 2001. Good reading while you wait for input here.
http://www.donporter.net/Colima/indexColima.htm

My Blog from trips there
http://sparks-colima.blogspot.com/

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by Rolly on Aug 16, 2007, 12:47 PM)

jerezano

Aug 16, 2007, 4:20 PM

Post #6 of 12 (8318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Colima, Colima advise Help?

Hello Mike,

The town's proper name is Las Guásimas, Colima. It is located at Lat 19* N 22' O". Its Longitude is 104* 4'60" Its altitude is 2693 feet or 820 meters. Population within a 7 mile radius is 4,824. I assume that is the 2000 census.

It is not shown on the Guia Roji on either the early section of Mex 110 or the later sections of Colima 4 the secondary highway to Villa Victoria, Michoacan. It is not shown in Atlas Porrúra either. And I think the longitude information is incorrect as that 104* + would put it way West of Colima instead of south east, as I read Guia roji.

You might find it on a Google internet map.

As for Colima itself, a quiet tranquil city with three universities of which the University of Colima has an excellent reputation. I am familiar with the UofC but not the other two. So you will find a large population of college kids with their usual parandas. Other than the climate which requires air conditioning, and a propensity not to be scared by 10 inch centipedes and large roaches, Colima is one of my favorite cities. I would suspect because of the climate a problem with alacranes but probably the small one to two inch size with no serious consequences as a result of the stings. But you should seek medical attention. Lots of cultural activity because of the population and the Universities. Good shopping. It is farther to Guadalarara than the one hour which I probably misread on one of the earlier posts. But it is autopista almost the whole distance. Colima and the Colima coast area suffered a rather severe earthquake about 4 years back. I had some friends who were eating in a restaurant in Colima at the time and had part of the plaster ceiling fall on them. No damage. I was in Melaque at the time and remember that the earthquake seemed to last forever although it was only about a minute plus. There were several deaths in the area, I believe less than ten but I could remember wrong. Colima itself is not considered a tourist destination but it is on the Guadalajara to Manzanillo route. And at the coast North on the Costa Alegre are Barra de Navidad, Melaque, La Manzanilla, etc, all or which boom with tourists in the winter. Some of whom do, of course, visit Colima.The beaches nearest to Colima tend to be rather overcrowded, dirty, and chintzy on weekends. But I may be picky.

If your wife likes the location, go for it, but don't buy yet. Check it out for a year or so and then decide.

Good luck to you, and come back and talk to us if you have any more questions.

Adios. jerezano

mlnew

Aug 16, 2007, 5:07 PM

Post #7 of 12 (8311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Colima, Colima advise Help?

Thanks for more information, Las Gauisimas is on a Map that I found on a internet download its not far East of Colima and in looking at it it would appear that one has to take a road south before heading east so could be directly east of Colima, definetly on the way to Villa Victoria, Michoacan though. Spent alot of Decembers in Villa Victoria, plenty of alacranes and centipedes there!! Jerezano, thank you for the correct spelling, I believe that is a Tree (Guaisimas) has some fruit on it, I'm almost sure.
I also want to hold off on buying but Maria, the better half and I have been looking for years mainly in Michoacan but also in other areas and did result in a purchase along the border in San Luis RC, Sonora which we totally have enjoyed but we really want something deeper in Mexico so its probably about time to take the next step.
Colima is for sure about 2.5 hours south of Guadalajara, (like I drive) it is autopista, however from Cd Guzman to Colima the libre is far more interesting of a drive.

Any information about Colima from anyone that lives there or maybe Comala please feel free to chime in.
MIKE

bournemouth

Aug 16, 2007, 5:24 PM

Post #8 of 12 (8309 views)

Shortcut

Mike - you might try asking over on this board - there are not a lot of posts there but someone might come out of the woodwork to help you:

http://www.tomzap.com/ph5/index.php

(This post was edited by Rolly on Aug 16, 2007, 7:58 PM)

mlnew

Aug 16, 2007, 5:40 PM

Post #9 of 12 (8308 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Colima, Colima advise Help?

Thank you, will check it out.
MIKE

halfmexi

Nov 21, 2007, 2:07 PM

Post #10 of 12 (8120 views)

Shortcut

Hola Mike,
We are in Colima city, about 10 blocks from the town center. We are kinda new here(3 months) but, it seems like we have lived nowhere else before this in Mexico. I have lived in Cabo San Lucas, Queretaro, Mexico City and now here in Colima. A very unique and somewhat bizarre state - if you have lived in Mexico for awhile you may understand. Colima seems like her own country instead of a state in Mexico.

We are far away from the Manzanillo touristas, so far I have seen a few Europeans and only 2 other Americans. If you are coming in December that is supposed to be a pretty good time, we are supposed to get some more storms but it won't be cold - never is. (everybody is already warning us about May, June and July the hottest months here - 100+ temps and humidity!)

Everything moves kinda slow down here, finding quality services has been difficult (unqualified veternarian, no good dentists or so we have been told... currently looking for a mechanic, been told forget it???), so far not one person has given us the right directions to anywhere yet, but they really want to help.

Locally we have alot of good malls, the restaurant food is semi-blah, there is alot of good sushi, people here are obsessed with good cookies and home delivered meals. (in Queretaro they were obsessed with cakes and carne!) We also have McDonald's, Burger King, Applebees if you need that type of thing. SAM's Club, City Club, Office Depot and Blockbuster are also here.

Colima has alot to offer, we spent 2 weeks house hunting during the last hurricane storm, got back, packed and within 6 weeks we were discovering a whole new Mexico. The only other city I have visited in Mexico that I can say kinda compares too it is Aguascalientes - clean, intelligent, culture and the arts and a government that seems to care (really).

I may move about in the next couple of years, but I don't think I will ever leave Colima, after 10 years in Mexico I am finally home.

Bienvenidos!

BIL

VOTE MAYAN ...For A New Tomorrow!

roni_smith

Nov 28, 2007, 7:35 PM

Post #11 of 12 (8047 views)

Shortcut

Re: [halfmexi] Colima, Colima advise Help?

Thanks for writing this report of Colima, Colima.

Let me encourage you to post occasional updates on how you find life in Colima.

Ron
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Don

Nov 28, 2007, 8:27 PM

Post #12 of 12 (8040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [halfmexi] Colima, Colima advise Help?

halfmexi:

An excellent dentist in Colima, Colima is Dr. Juan Paz Garcia, Office: (312) 311-5777 Cellular: (312) 319-5722. Dr Paz does implants, facial surgery and general tooth repair. Keeps up-to-date on new procedures. Reasonable.

His office is very close to Sorianas and City Club. Not far from his office is a shop he directed me to that rebuilt my transmission. Excellent job and the owner spoke a little English. Dr. Paz also directed me to an excellent eye doctor where I get my glasses. He is located close to Sam's Club.

Dr. Paz can direct you to many places. Before his daughters went away to college, they use to have exchange students live with them from Canada. I feel he is an excellent dentist and I fully trust him. I also have to add that my wife is his aunt. Tell him we sent you.

Even though we live in Jalisco, we do most our shopping in Colima, Colima instead of Guadalajara.

(This post was edited by Don on Nov 28, 2007, 8:40 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4