Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Alan

Oct 11, 2001, 1:10 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2542 views)

Shortcut

train travel into Mexico

Can't Post |
I read somewhere that nearly all trains in Mexico are no longer running.... does this mean that the train line from Mexicali, which "Lonely Planet" tells us supports two trains a day going south to Guadalajara, is no more? With a couple of days to spare over New Year in Mexicali, we had hoped to take a train as far as Puerto Penasco (at least) and maybe Caborca, and stay overnight. Is either a possibility? If not, does anyone have any interesting alternative suggestions? Thanks for your help! (Family from Australia.)

Bob

Oct 12, 2001, 1:24 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2542 views)

Shortcut

train travel into Mexico

Can't Post |
: I read somewhere that nearly all trains in Mexico are no longer running.... does this mean that the train line from Mexicali, which "Lonely Planet" tells us supports two trains a day going south to Guadalajara, is no more? With a couple of days to spare over New Year in Mexicali, we had hoped to take a train as far as Puerto Penasco (at least) and maybe Caborca, and stay overnight. Is either a possibility? If not, does anyone have any interesting alternative suggestions? Thanks for your help! (Family from Australia.)<p>There are four lines in service at this moment.
None of which are near the border. The copper
canyon run is the nearest. The others are
Guadalajara - weekend tourist run to Tequila.
Two other short runs. One near Mexico and other
to the south.<p>I remember with nostalgia the Mexicali to
Caborca run. I traveled this several times.
I had a roomete and there was a dining car.<p>Now we have progress!<p>

Jose Alvarez

Dec 13, 2001, 7:47 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2542 views)

Shortcut

train travel into Mexico

Can't Post |
: : I read somewhere that nearly all trains in Mexico are no longer running.... does this mean that the train line from Mexicali, which "Lonely Planet" tells us supports two trains a day going south to Guadalajara, is no more? With a couple of days to spare over New Year in Mexicali, we had hoped to take a train as far as Puerto Penasco (at least) and maybe Caborca, and stay overnight. Is either a possibility? If not, does anyone have any interesting alternative suggestions? Thanks for your help! (Family from Australia.)<p>: There are four lines in service at this moment.
: None of which are near the border. The copper
: canyon run is the nearest. The others are
: Guadalajara - weekend tourist run to Tequila.
: Two other short runs. One near Mexico and other
: to the south.<p>: I remember with nostalgia the Mexicali to
: Caborca run. I traveled this several times.
: I had a roomete and there was a dining car.<p>: Now we have progress!<p>So the final awnser is NO, there are no trains that you can take from the US Border to Guadalajara??<p><p>

T Ashley

Jan 11, 2002, 12:24 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2541 views)

Shortcut

train travel into Mexico

Can't Post |
Can I take a train from Texas to Mexico city?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4