Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

David Orr

Oct 13, 2001, 6:47 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1201 views)

Shortcut

Road Condition Mex 180 & 175

Can't Post |
Looking for current condition of 180 border to 175 and 175 to Oxaca.

Bob in Iowa

Oct 13, 2001, 11:03 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1201 views)

Shortcut

Road Condition Mex 180 & 175

Can't Post |
     From 180 south towards Oaxaca City, the road is pretty level and straight to Valle Nacional. You will go through Tuxtepec - the Hotel Hacienda is nice and right on the main road in town. Going on to Valle Nacional, there is another very basic but pleasant hotel in town for about $15 double. If you ask, the owner will give you a shot of tequila from behind the counter, poured from a plastic jug. The taco place catty-corner is excellent, and the beer is cold.
As you go on towards Oaxaca, the road begins a sharp assent into the forest. This part of the road sucks, at least as of a year and a half ago when I was last on it, but I doubt that it has changed. It is deeply potholed from huge, overloaded logging trucks. It takes some effort to find enough good surface to drive on, but we have made it in sedans, mini vans, etc. Re. the logging, to their credit, they seem to be doing a good job of selective cutting, leaving the forest looking undisturbed. Don't know if you are interested, but you will go through a variety of forest types, and finally end up in spectacular cloud forest, complete with tree ferns, bromiliads (sp?) etc. The trip down is better. As you go down, you will come to a nice little restaurant on the left (across from a campground as I recall) - it will be the first of two about a mile apart.
I would give it a go - the forest, one of the largest continuous tracts of cloud forest remaining in Mexico, is worth the trip. <p>: Looking for current condition of 180 border to 175 and 175 to Oxaca.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4