Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Johnnye

Aug 9, 2007, 4:58 AM

Post #1 of 5 (943 views)

Shortcut

Semana Santa 2008 crowded, expensive?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good Morning Foreros,
What are our chances of finding reasonably uncrowded surroundings in Mexico during Semana Santa? Or for that matter, of getting a room?
I've been warned to make reservations far ahead, and to be prepared for high tourist season prices. A small group of retirees and students at a community college in West Texas go to Creel, in the state of Chuhuahua every year at spring break, and this year, I just realized, it falls on 15 March, which is Palm Sunday.
I'd appreciate any discussion of your experiences, both pro and con.
We're not opposed to higher prices as much as we are to the potential crowd-exhaustion.!
Thanks!

jerezano

Aug 9, 2007, 1:23 PM

Post #2 of 5 (918 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Johnnye] Semana Santa 2008 crowded, expensive?

Hello Johnnye,

Semana Santa. Semana Santa. Holy Week. Navidad. Christmas.

Here in Zacatecas it is hard to say which is the most popular vacation time: Semana Santa or Navidad.

But in the small town where I live the hotels during Holy Week are overflowing. All hotels, good, bad, indifferent, makeshift, and all the homes as well. One of the holidays where everybody comes back to the "tierra natal", "tierra chica" or home country. On the other hand if you want to spend a really quiet week you go to Mexico City or other large metropolis. The whole city will be yours.

I know nothing about Creel but I believe the available lodging is limited, so yes, I would make reservations early. But then perhaps Creel never has had people being born there either. Why don't you e mail the hotels there and ask?

Adiós. jerezano

raferguson

Aug 9, 2007, 1:30 PM

Post #3 of 5 (917 views)

Shortcut

We have traveled during the holiday seasons (Christmas and Easter) numerous times in Mexico. The main advice that I would have would be to reserve rooms in advance.

One advantage is the opportunity to see passion plays and other special events, especially on Good Friday (Friday before Easter). I don't remember special events on Palm Sunday in Mexico, but be sure to ask.

I don't remember having any special problems during that time. Of course, everybody leaves the big city at the start of the holiday, and returns at the end, so traffic jams around Mexico City are predictable, especially on the road to Acapulco. But I would not expect Creel to be mobbed.

You may pay more for rooms during that time, but again that is a reason to book early, to lock in a reasonable price.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Ed and Fran

Aug 9, 2007, 5:55 PM

Post #4 of 5 (901 views)

Shortcut

I've been warned to make reservations far ahead, and to be prepared for high tourist season prices. A small group of retirees and students at a community college in West Texas go to Creel, in the state of Chuhuahua every year at spring break, and this year, I just realized, it falls on 15 March, which is Palm Sunday.

We went to Chihuahua, Basaseachi (remember our exchange of PM's), Creel and El Fuerte (plus misc stops enroute), and rode the Copper Canyon train, during the two weeks of Semana Santa this year. Most of our reservations were made within 2-3 weeks of the trip. We had no problems getting reservations during that period, with one exception. In fact, the second week of the vacation period we found places, and the train, to be only maybe 1/2-2/3 full. Prices were pretty much what we found on www.zonaturistica.com (which we usually use as our rough guide to hotels down here). No elevated prices that we found, at least at the places we stayed.

Coming from Basaseachi to get the train, we had wanted to spend one night in Creel during the middle of the first week to make catching the train simpler. Several hotels in our price range were booked for those days, so we stayed just north of Creel in San Juanito, at some great cabins. We had no problem making reservations in Creel for when we came back up the hill from El Fuerte & Cerocahui (middle of the second week of the vacation period.)

Just our experience, your mileage may vary.

Best regards

Ed & Fran

(This post was edited by Ed and Fran on Aug 9, 2007, 5:56 PM)

Johnnye

Aug 10, 2007, 4:13 AM

Post #5 of 5 (882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Semana Santa 2008 crowded, expensive?

°Agradecimientos a todos!
I'm forwarding your links. I've never yet thrown a question to you that wasn't returned with helpful answers--and most of the time, a little humor.
Thanks again--we'll travel better prepared.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4