Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum

esperanza

Aug 4, 2007, 10:03 AM

Post #1 of 25 (24874 views)

Shortcut

Strange Characters (accents, not humans)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Estimado amigo Jerezano, por alguna razón se ven todos los acentos de las palabras en tus apuntes en una manera muy rara. No se ven normal, sino como estes: común for común and jardín por jardín. Parecen así en todos tus 'posts'. Algo anda mal, pero no sé que cosa. Lo puedes checar?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Aug 4, 2007, 4:37 PM)

thfarrell

Aug 4, 2007, 10:49 AM

Post #2 of 25 (24863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] derivation of "glorieta"

Hi...

Thanks, Jerezano, for the info.

Esperanza: there are two very common "view settings" for text on the internet (aka "character encoding"). One is usually called "Western" and the other "Unicode".

Most browsers allow you to go back and forth between the two with a menu selection, and/or to select a default choice with a preference setting.

For example, on a Windows computer running Internet Explorer 7, goto the Page menu, choose Encoding, then pick either Western European or Unicode, and you'll see the odd characters appear/disappear.

On a Mac running Firefox, you can do the same thing with the View/Character Encoding menu.

These selections just tell your browser how to interpret the text part of all the web-page-instructions sent to your computer over the internet - how combine the various images, pieces of text, instructions about text size and color, etc, etc, into the pages we wind up seeing on the computer screen.

Tom
---
"Beauty is in the i of the Beholder"
(Julia Mandelbrot)

esperanza

Aug 4, 2007, 10:59 AM

Post #3 of 25 (24863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thfarrell] derivation of "glorieta"

Tom, I run XP with Firefox. Jerezano's posts are the only ones that always show up like this for me. I did exactly what you suggested, but the results weren't as I'd hoped. HIS posts were corrected, but mine showed up with a strange character where the accents should have been: the character was a black diamond with a question mark in it.

Now what? This happens occasionally with other posters, too.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Aug 4, 2007, 11:02 AM)

jerezano

Aug 4, 2007, 12:03 PM

Post #4 of 25 (24854 views)

Shortcut

Hola Esperanza,

Gracias por tu amable notificación. No entiendo qué está pasando pero he notado que no es sólo yo.

Jennifer Rose en el foro general tiene el mismo problema. He notado otros.

Thanks for your amiable notice. I don't know what is happening. I notice in the General Forum the same problem with both my postings and those of Jennifer Rose as well as others who have the habit of putting accents on their vowels.

This was not so in the past. I have notified David of the problem. Tony Burton has also been notified, but for some reason his postings with accents seem to be working fine.

All I know is that my computer is using the international keyboard, all my postings before I post them to the board are shown with the correct accents, but when they get posted have been distorted.

The only solution I can follow is just quit using accents. Which is hard to do since I have used them now for 18 years.

Thanks again for the notice. Have you tried posting to the other forums with accents? Perhaps you too, are having trouble.

Adiós. jerezano. Now here the ó is shown correctly. But in the post it probably will be distorted. Now here is the ó using alt+0243 ó which is also shown correctly. Let's see what happens to the post.

thfarrell

Aug 4, 2007, 12:04 PM

Post #5 of 25 (24853 views)

Shortcut

Hi Esperanza...

Yes, the "this page works but now that one doesn't" problem is annoying.

Sadly, you probably can't solve it and will just have to keep switching back and forth.

It comes from a complex set of linked items.

Perhaps the most basic is poor webpage design.

For example, every web page should start out with some info that tells the user's browser how to display the page. An example on one of these might be:

content="text/html; charset=utf-8"

which tells your browser that the page it is currently downloading and setting up to show to you should be displayed with text that is "8 bit Unicode" (utf-8).

If you goto www.google.com and then select View / Page Source, you'll see a "meta" statement at the beginning that has this info. If you go to View / Page Source while viewing this page (here at MexConnect), you will not see any such info.

If this info is missing (as it is in the pages created by the program that runs this mexconnected website), then the software that runs the website, together with the browser on your computer, will just have to make their own "best guess" at what to do. And being just computer programs written by some poor geeks chained up in basements somewhere, they're not very smart... :-)

Still worse is that the software gets written to deal with the web the way it exists at a certain point in time, and just a few years later, all sorts of things will be different.

Knowing how to change the view settings, so as to be able to read the text, is about as good as one can do at this point, I'm afraid.

Tom
---
"Beauty is in the i of the Beholder"
(Julia Mandelbrot)

jerezano

Aug 4, 2007, 12:19 PM

Post #6 of 25 (24851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thfarrell] derivation of "glorieta"

Hello thfarrell,

Interesting. I went to my Firefox view encoding page and discovered that my "auto detect" is listed as off, instead of being on. However, I cannot find out how to change it to "on". Do you know how? I would guess with it on I wouldn't have to worry about changing pages.

But if the web pages here on mexconnect.com do not have the coding information, then I guess the auto detect would not work anyway.

My last posting above about the problem, showed on my display using Firefox that every accent was in place. My Explorer 7 shows them correctly as well.

Adiós. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Aug 4, 2007, 12:29 PM)

esperanza

Aug 4, 2007, 12:25 PM

Post #7 of 25 (24849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] derivation of "glorieta"

None of these problems happened prior to the fairly recent 'upgrade' in MexConnect's software. Jerezano is right: many posts in which the poster uses accents end up with the bizarre letters OR with the black diamond configuration rather than with the correct accents.

It seems to me that software used to power a website that's dedicated to Mexico should be able to handle Mexico's written language. Silly me.

Rolly

Aug 4, 2007, 12:50 PM

Post #8 of 25 (24845 views)

Shortcut

Your alt+0243 = ó and the easier alt+162 = ó both show correctly using IE7 if my browser encoding is set to Western European. Neither work correctly if it is set to other encodings.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Aug 4, 2007, 12:55 PM)

esperanza

Aug 4, 2007, 12:55 PM

Post #9 of 25 (24837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] derivation of "glorieta"

Neither shows correctly on my screen.

Rolly

Aug 4, 2007, 12:57 PM

Post #10 of 25 (24834 views)

Shortcut

How is your encoding set?

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Aug 4, 2007, 2:49 PM

Post #11 of 25 (24823 views)

Shortcut

I have it set to Western, but when I change it to Unicode it's still wrong--not wrong the same way, but still wrong. Scroll up to see my earlier post about changing back and forth, Rolly.

I was just talking with another Mexconnect-er about this. That person sees Jerezano's posts the same way I do, and she uses IE7 set to Western. When she changes to Unicode, it's still wrong, but in the way I described in my earlier post.

If someone can figure this out, I'd be very grateful.

jerezano

Aug 4, 2007, 5:55 PM

Post #12 of 25 (24808 views)

Shortcut

HELLO,

And so would I. If I set my encoding on the browser to Western European, which is where my Internet Explorer is set, then everything appears OK when I type it, but who knows how it will show on the posting. I agree with Esperanza that none of this was happening before the new mexconnect update. Go look at some of Jennifer Rose's postings. You will see the same problem. Or at least, I am seeing that problem. Here are the vowels set at Western encoding. áéíóú and they all appear OK here and should be OK on the post. Let's see what happens on the Post. Adiós. jerezano.

Rolly

Aug 4, 2007, 5:59 PM

Post #13 of 25 (24806 views)

Shortcut

The test vowels look fine to me, but your sig line does not.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Aug 4, 2007, 6:24 PM

Post #14 of 25 (24803 views)

Shortcut

Now your sig line looks fine.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Aug 4, 2007, 6:34 PM

Post #15 of 25 (24801 views)

Shortcut

Hello Rolly and others,

Both my Internet Explorer 7 and my Firefox are set to Western European (Windows) encoding. I think my Firefox was on Unicode. I have gone to my profile and changed it using the Western (Windows) encoding. So, let's hope that everything is OK from here on.

To all especially tfarrel, I asked about turning auto detect on in Firefox (using XP Pro) since I can't find out how to do it. Does anybody know? Somebody mentioned they were using Firefox with XP. Firefox is my favorite but if I have to I will use IE 7.

Adiós. jerezano. Here the ó appears perfect but what happens on the post?

jerezano

Aug 4, 2007, 6:37 PM

Post #16 of 25 (24800 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

My last post looked OK to me using Firefox áéíóú Whow! jerezano

Rolly

Aug 4, 2007, 7:10 PM

Post #17 of 25 (24796 views)

Shortcut

Welcome, Happy Camper!

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Aug 4, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #18 of 25 (24795 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Frustration! Now at 9:10 PM nothing in my previous post looks OK. Adiós. jerezano

Rolly

Aug 4, 2007, 7:21 PM

Post #19 of 25 (24789 views)

Shortcut

It looks bad on my screen, too. Computer gods strike again.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Aug 4, 2007, 7:23 PM

Post #20 of 25 (24788 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

What a relief. Everything I am now posting looks OK to me using Firefox on Windows Xp and encoding of Western European (Windows). But now I notice another thing. My last post was at 9:10 PM Central time, but in the box on the left the date given was 7:10 PM. My time zone is Central and I assume that Guadalajara and Lake Chapala are also on Central time. Is that time stamp a problem of mexconnect.com? Our web pages are in California are they not? That would be Pacific Time and 2 hours earlier than here in Central. Could it be that they are stamping receipt times using Pacific Time instead of Central Time? If so, can't they change it?

Adiós. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Aug 4, 2007, 7:25 PM)

Rolly

Aug 4, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #21 of 25 (24780 views)

Shortcut

Sorry Amigo, your sig line is still screwed up on my screen.

Rolly Pirate

jerezano

Aug 5, 2007, 5:39 AM

Post #22 of 25 (24767 views)

Shortcut

Hello Rolly,

How is the signature now. I had changed it in my profile but forgot that the e mail signature is a different one. I have now changed it too.

Adiós. jerezano

Rolly

Aug 5, 2007, 7:06 AM

Post #23 of 25 (24759 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, still not OK on my screen.

Rolly Pirate

Don

Aug 5, 2007, 8:44 AM

Post #24 of 25 (24751 views)

Shortcut

It works fine on my screen now. Before, it didn't work.

I might add that I have Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Vista. My encoding is set for Auto Select. As I go from website to website the encoding also changes from Unicode to Western European(Windows) to Western European (ESO) plus there are many more setting it can automatically change to, but also always stays on Auto Select. For this website it goes to Western European (Windows).

(This post was edited by Don on Aug 5, 2007, 8:56 AM)

Rolly

Aug 5, 2007, 8:48 AM

Post #25 of 25 (24749 views)

Shortcut

Well, now it is working for me. What the hell?

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4