Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Julie

Oct 21, 2001, 3:01 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3977 views)

Shortcut

RVing to Bucerias

Can't Post |
Driving a large RV to Bucerias from MN, crossing through Laredo. Anyone familiar with the road conditions? Would it be better to go through Nogales? First time!

David Eidell

Oct 21, 2001, 9:21 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3974 views)

Shortcut

RVing to Bucerias

Can't Post |
The interior route is shorter, but it does have its ups and downs as far as grades go. The coastal route is mostly multi-lane toll roads and they are easier to navigate. I would err on the side of caution and take Mex 15D from Nogales and test the waters so to speak before committing to more demanding driving.<p>After Mazatlan, you may wish to use the San Blas "new road" to Las Varas instead of going through Tepic. From Las Varas it is a steady and predictable two hours to Bucerias.<p>
Saludos,<p>
David

sermextr

Oct 22, 2001, 1:57 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3974 views)

Shortcut

RVing to Bucerias

Can't Post |
Excuse me if you already know this, but there is an excellent and essential guidebook for campgrounds in Mexico, called Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping, by Church and Church. This year's edition is even better than the earlier one and is updated. The authors' web site is at http://www.rollinghomes.com<p>David Eidell's suggestion that the coastal highway from Nogales is easier driving is certainly valid because driving in the interior with a big RV isn't fun.<p>Also, I think Laredo is the worst place to cross because the customs office is hard to find and the office is badly organized. I've always thought it was a training center because none of the clerks know anything. If you want to go through there, the Church book has good instructions.<p>If you take the coastal route, be aware that the toll road (Cuota) from Culiacan to Mazatlan is famously expensive, even though the free road (Libre) is quite adequate. Almost no one uses the toll road, so there even have been some robberies on it.<p>Even with the guidebook, if you decide to go through the interior you should get a good highway atlas, which you probably have to buy on the internet. Taking the coastal route, a good map probably would be adequate, although the atlas naturally would be better.<p>Buen viaje.<p>: Driving a large RV to Bucerias from MN, crossing through Laredo. Anyone familiar with the road conditions? Would it be better to go through Nogales? First time!<p>

John

Oct 30, 2001, 12:24 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3973 views)

Shortcut

Culiacan to Mazatlan

Can't Post |
I have bought Church's Guide but I would like to know exactly what the toll is from Culiacan to Mazatlan for a two axle RV. Please, does anyone know? Thanks

sandy

Nov 2, 2001, 4:55 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3974 views)

Shortcut

Culiacan to Mazatlan

Can't Post |
: I have bought Church's Guide but I would like to know exactly what the toll is from Culiacan to Mazatlan for a two axle RV. Please, does anyone know? Thanks
We have a truck (Not dual wheels) and a fifth wheel trailer. It cost us 160 Pesos and 140 pesos on the Mazatlan to Culiacan toll road on March 13, 2001. It has probably gone up since then as the tolls on all the roads going down were cheaper in January than coming back in March!<p>We only went on the toll road as we were in a hurry to get back home. Going down in January we took the libre road and it was just fine, more traffic but if you're not in a hurry it's an easy way to save yourself some pesos and a more interesting route as you go through some little towns. It took about an hour longer to go the libre.

John

Nov 3, 2001, 3:36 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3973 views)

Shortcut

Culiacan to Mazatlan

Can't Post |
Thanks for the info. You've given me a good idea of the tradeoff between the two routes.

David Eidell

Nov 7, 2001, 1:53 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3973 views)

Shortcut

Maxipista Has Three Toll Booths Between Culiacan and Mazatlan

Can't Post |
The fee for a two-axle motorhome is exactly double that for a passenger automobile. Last winter the fee for a car per section was nine dollars -- no doubt the fee has been increased since February. The fee for a trailer towing RV, a total of five axles was twenty three dollars per section.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

Madison

Dec 19, 2001, 4:11 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3975 views)

Shortcut

RVing to Bucerias

Can't Post |
The Guide to Camping in Mexico is great! Also, the greatest map is
GUIA ROJI ISBN 970-621-180-2 or email: ventas@guiaroji.com.mx<p>: The interior route is shorter, but it does have its ups and downs as far as grades go. The coastal route is mostly multi-lane toll roads and they are easier to navigate. I would err on the side of caution and take Mex 15D from Nogales and test the waters so to speak before committing to more demanding driving.<p>: After Mazatlan, you may wish to use the San Blas "new road" to Las Varas instead of going through Tepic. From Las Varas it is a steady and predictable two hours to Bucerias.<p>:
: Saludos,<p>:
: David<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4