Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

hkiersey

Jul 18, 2007, 10:58 AM

Post #1 of 12 (7947 views)

Shortcut

Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta???

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've heard there is a Home Depot being built in PV. I've just bought a fixer upper home and desperately need a home depot here. A few people said the Home Depot will be built north of the Airport on 200. There is a big construction site that Looks sort of like it might be a Home Depot. Then I read on Skyscraper.com posted in 3/2006 that the Home Depot or presumably a home depot will be built where the Liverpool mall is being built next to Wallmart and Sams. I'd love that because my house is behind there. I'd looove that.

But then again other people say.. NO there is no home depot being built here. Does anyone really know?

Desperately seeking a good hardware store..... to find items for remodeling is like a scavenger hunt.
"You are where you should be, doing what you should be doing, otherwise you'd be somewhere else, doing something else."

Rolly

Jul 18, 2007, 11:32 AM

Post #2 of 12 (7945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hkiersey] Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta???

You can find Home Depot stores in Mexico here: http://corporate.homedepot.com/wps/portal/THD_Mexico

The site does not show when it was last updated, and, apparently, does not list stores under construction. Nothing listed for PV.

Rolly Pirate

Camille

Jul 20, 2007, 9:36 PM

Post #3 of 12 (7905 views)

Shortcut

It is a persistent rumor here.....and there is certainly a Home Depot market! Also we dream of a Costco, and a grocery store (hopefully a Soriana or Superama) north of Bucerias, on 200, so we don't have to go into congested PV. I have begun emailing and telephoning retailers I want to see up here, north of PV. Please add your voice.....

hkiersey

Jul 21, 2007, 9:18 AM

Post #4 of 12 (7887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta???

I know what you mean, the traffic to cross between Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta is crazy. They have some very interesting intersections... like where you can turn to go to Ixtapa.

Speaking of that, I pray that once they get this PV - Ixtapa - Guadalahara 2-4 lane highway finished the prices will start going down around here. Because it will be a little bit easier to get stuff here.

My husband and I drove the highway, which is currently being modified, about a month ago. It saved about 1-2 hours to Guadalahara and is free. But there are a few areas where we got worried the first time we came through there.

What happened was that you start out on this nice highway, with very low traffic. In fact the traffic was so low that I started thinking ....does this even go through?.... then the road got a little narrower, and then it turned into gravel... and I'm like.... hmmm OK, we just wasted a bunch of time going this way... but then you get passed this new bridge and it looks new again... It looks like they are planning a lot of 3 lane passing areas through the mountains for the semi's and slow vehicles... then you keep going on it and and suddenly you run into this town.. Darnit I just can't remember the name... Anyway, you've passed the previous gravel area looks like everything is ok, then suddenly you are smack in the middle of a town with cobble stone again.... I was thinking ok, now we are really screwed.

Then you follow the signs that say guadalahara in the town (did I spell that wrong?) and happen to go in several different directions, (thats a whole other subject) and if you just keep going you end up on a highway again. And... you get to Guadalahara faster then the other way up toward tepic. But that is just my long drawn out opinion.. Sorry I babble sometimes...

Thanks for the reply and I will definitely start contacting retailers I'd like to see.
"You are where you should be, doing what you should be doing, otherwise you'd be somewhere else, doing something else."

RickS

Jul 22, 2007, 11:08 AM

Post #5 of 12 (7856 views)

Shortcut

Re: Alternative Road to Guadalajara from PV

The road you are referring to goes through Mascota and then Ameca, past Tala and finally connecting with highway 15 just west of Guadalajara. I have driven it fairly recently (but not as recently as you). While it is shorter as the crow flies than taking the toll road up around close to Tepic, I doubt rank and file folks will want to take it if time, not money, is their limiting factor.

Yes, they are improving it especially from Ixtapa to Mascota, parts of which were dirt and barely passable without 4WD just 3 short years ago (and the first rainy season after paving that part, the summer rains washed out major portions in the mountains due to shoddy roadbed engineering). And they now have a major bridge over a steep canyon than one used to have to switch-back down into/out of, fording the river on a paved roadbed that was impassable during rains.

That route, BTW, takes one close to San Sebastian del Oeste, a hamlet that is not to be missed IMHO. And we liked the clean town of Mascota and its surrounds, including a drop-dead beautiful lake (very) high into mountains above Mascota on an equally beautiful but sometimes one-lane narrow cobblestone road. And of course, the town of Talpa de Allende is on that road and shouldn't be missed for a true Mexican experience.

The rest of the 2-lane road towards Ameca is OK but can be slow going through little towns, and especially when one gets behind big trucks carrying sugarcane or other commerce. There is about 100 miles of this and I doubt this road will 'ever' be widened enough to sustain good highway speeds. (do a "Search Post" function for further discussions about this route).

I am not saying any of this to refute your comments about it being an alternative route.... and free. It is just that some folks might think it is a breeze and may be taken-aback by the route. For me, 'tho, it will be my route-of-choice one because it is free and two because I like to drive the 'scenic' routes; but not because I expect it to be much faster, if any, going that route.

hkiersey

Jul 22, 2007, 5:45 PM

Post #6 of 12 (7841 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Alternative Road to Guadalajara from PV

Well, after reading your post it makes me think that the one time I came in via 200 from Guadalahara and then through guayobitos was an off day because we kept getting stuck between these double trailer beer trucks that could only go 10 miles per hour and there would be no possible way to pass them and they wouldn't pull over. So that is why I thought this other route was much better. It does take a long time but when we compared how long it took to get to PV the first time from Morelia it saved us about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Plus like $40 or something.... Anyway, like I was trying to say maybe our first experience was skewed by those beer trucks....

Have you driven it recently... I'm not sure what these are but there are lots of areas that are carved out of the mountains that look as if they are planning on making some 3 lane areas.. Plus there are lots of signs that say there are 3 lanes... but as of the 2 times I've driven it there were very few 3 lanes spots.

I too like the scenic route. I was born and raised in Portland Oregon and driving through there reminds me of some of the Mount hood drives I've taken... the red earth and pine trees.

donemry

Jul 25, 2007, 6:12 AM

Post #7 of 12 (7805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hkiersey] Alternative Road to Guadalajara from PV

I have made the trip from PV to GDL, via Compestella, etc. many times. So Monday we tried the route through Mascota.

First suggestion, the rainy season is not a good time for this route. Lots of rocks, mud and debris in many places on the new road to Mascota, no problems on the other side to GDL. The road was passable, but I would estimate we lost about a half hour due to debris.

There are many places to pass on this route, so I would think that trucks would not be a big issue, unlike the route from Las Varas to Compestella and some of the other sections.

However, allowing for all the differences, I would estimate that the Mascota route is about a half hour longer for the best of conditions.

sioux4noff

Jul 25, 2007, 9:21 PM

Post #8 of 12 (7781 views)

Shortcut

The Home Depot is being built at the Las Juntas turn-off.
A Mega store is having the ground work down in front of the Flamingos Residential Development just south of Bucerias.
Both will be very popular, I'm sure.

1chilehead

Jul 26, 2007, 11:11 PM

Post #9 of 12 (7755 views)

Shortcut

I hear they are building it just north of Manzanillo, where I am intending to move. Even more horrifying, they are building a WalMart there. Oh the humanity. My Mexicana friend teased me everytime we passed the huge metal hulking frame. It's official, Hell in a Handbasket. Is nothing sacred?

hkiersey

Jul 27, 2007, 8:52 AM

Post #10 of 12 (7739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1chilehead] Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta???

I know with all the "Losing Margaritaville" talk, that a lot of people are probably against these large super stores.... I really don't know the cons of them being here. I personally think it is great, I am a city girl and I like the idea of these big malls and stores where you can get what ever you need.

Where is Manzanillo?

Papirex

Jul 27, 2007, 9:51 AM

Post #11 of 12 (7736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1chilehead] Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta???

After a person has lived in México a few years they will thank their lucky stars when they live close to a Wal-Mart or home Depot, Costco, Sam’s Club, Superama, Mega, Commercial Mexicana, Soriana, Liverpool, etc.

Before the first Wal-Mart was built in Cuatla, which is almost a part of Cuernavaca, I had to go to México City to buy a network cable with RJ45 connectors to connect my new router to my computer. There is, and was, Office Max, Office Depot, and many little hole in the wall computer stores here. They did not, and do not, sell cables for computers, they like to just sell the high value items.

Both of the Wal Marts here sell many cables and parts for computer use. As we added computers to our home network, I was able to buy more network cables at Wal-Mart without needing to make a special trip to México City for a $9 Dollar cable.

We have a Wal-mart, a Home Depot and an ACE Hardware store here in Cuernavaca now. Before the Home Depot store was built here, I had to go to México City to find a good variety of power tools and building supplies at the old Home Mart store before Home Depot bought that chain and converted them all to Home Depots.

We, and all of our Mexican friends and acquaintances feel we are very lucky to have those big box stores here now. They are not a curse; they are a blessing.

Of course, here and elsewhere you can go to a dozen of the little locally owned stores with their limited inventory and high prices and probably not find what you are looking for.

Incidentally, Wal-Mart employees in México have far better jobs and working conditions than many employees at other businesses in México do. Wal-Mart does not charge a fee for using their parking lot, not all stores here have their own parking lot, the big box stores all do.

Time will change your mind.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Jul 27, 2007, 9:54 AM)

1chilehead

Jul 27, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #12 of 12 (7719 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta???

Yes, I know what you say is true. And I hope they will pay their people better than the going rate. I just see what WalMart has done to alot of places here and hope they will be better for Mexico.

Kiersey: Manzanillo is between Pto Vallarta and Alcapulco, about 160 miles south of PV. It's heavenly!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4