Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lindawick

Mar 1, 2007, 6:58 PM

Post #26 of 29 (5753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] sealing saltillo tiles

Can't Post | Private Reply
Thanks Septiembre and Cynthia7 as well. Yes, I AM in Mexico, and I must not be talking to the ones (here)who KNOW! Your recipe of motor oil is very appealing to me, but my partner hears the word WAX and freaks out that this will mean frequent maintenance; more and more wax applications taking us WAY back to "waxy buildup", yellowing, and work! One person here swears that if you simply have the saltillo mopped every day with Fabuloso, there will be a natural coating build up that has lustre, etc. We are resistant to such a rigorous approach , yet don't want the dust of leaving it untreated. Maybe the Downy or motor oil will win out. I will try a sample tile tomorrow.
One guy here tells of an Impregnador de Concreto (which is pricey) sold at Home Depot. Ingredients are not listed, but it does claim to have a silicone base but needs to be re-applied within three years. Anyone know of this stuff? I still want a natural treatment. Our Mexican crew seems to say that the old timers used NOTHING and made out okay, but we are seeing lots of dust in homes that try this. Anyone tried the Selador?
And anyone with firsthand Downy trials?

Waterlily

Mar 2, 2007, 7:27 PM

Post #27 of 29 (5730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] sealing saltillo tiles

We just applied Behr Wet-Look Sealer to the saltillo tiles on our portico and our interior patio. It looks great, just like we hosed off the tiles. We'll see how well it lasts.

jkoster

Jul 15, 2007, 4:19 PM

Post #28 of 29 (5677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterlily] sealing saltillo tiles

Our kids have saltillo tile on both floors of their small Nayarit hotel. The tile has been sealed for more than two years with lots of traffic and is holding up well. I applied much of the sealer and it is either epoxy or polyurethane and available from both Prisa and Comex. It comes with a hardener that must be mixed with the resin and applied within a few hours. We used two coats 24 hours apart. The first coat all soaked in and sealed the tile and the second coat hardened the surface and gave it a low gloss, rustic finish. They wash it with pinol and water and dry mop it with a small amount of oil. They've been quite satisfied with it but it aint cheap.

uzanfabrice

Jan 11, 2011, 4:14 PM

Post #29 of 29 (4288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] sealing saltillo tiles

Hello
Thank you for the TIPs... now is it Kerozen fuel or kerozen oil that I need? I am still confused.
Please help
Thanks
Fabrice

[duplicate posts deleted by TB]

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jan 11, 2011, 4:24 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4