Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

esperanza

Jul 15, 2007, 10:51 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3940 views)

Shortcut

Mural Article 7-15-2007 Re Foreigners in Jalisco

Can't Post | Private Reply
The lead article in today's Mural (July 15, 2007) is about the foreign population in Mexico. According to the Mural, the greatest number of foreigners (59,715) lives in the state of Baja California, followed by the foreign population of Jalisco (56,065). The state of Chihuahua is third, with a foreign population of 44,436.

In Jalisco, the foreign population breaks down as follows:
  • Estados Unidos...................22,927
  • Colombia.............................3,383
  • Canadá...............................3,272
  • Cuba..................................2,233
  • España...............................2,020
  • Perú...................................1,967
  • Argentina............................1,602
  • Francia...............................1,572
  • Alemania.............................1,390
  • Corea del Sur.......................1,246
The foreign population in Jalisco has its origins in 132 different countries, including those listed above. The total population of Jalisco is 6,519,000.

All population figures are courtesy of INM, the Mexican national immigration office, and INEGI, the Mexican national census office.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jaybear

Jul 16, 2007, 5:48 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mural Article 7-15-2007 Re Foreigners in Jalisco

Esperanza,

These are interesting figures, and thank you for sharing them. I would love to get your thoughts (and other people's) on the following:

Do you think these figures are based on the number of FM3's, FM2's, or what? Would the figs. include expats who have been accepted for citizenship in Mexico?

Do you find it curious that the number of Canadian vs. US citizens in Jalisco is so low? Could this be because the govt. is not counting snowbirds; that is, are they excluding those who travel back and forth? Do you think the Guadalajara population make-up differs from that at Lakeside, and if so, is this due to a large number of US expats posted to Mexico by corporations?

jerezano

Jul 16, 2007, 1:45 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Mural Article 7-15-2007 Re Foreigners in Jalisco

Hello jaybear,

I don't know where the INM figures come from but must surely be based on the FM3 and FM2 figures. Aren't these the only control documents excluding the FMT and visas of one type or another which are temporary permits only. That means any nationalized foreign citizens would not be included since those figures would come from the Interior Department (Relaciones?). Were their figures included? I don't know.

The INEGI figures would be based on the last census (we foreigners had to indicate our nationality as I recall) and that census was back in 2000.

Now any updates of those two figures would be from those two agencies and what they could be based on would be determined on the inner workings of those two agencies as to how they make estimates. For example INEGI made a housing survey a couple of years back (2005?)and yes, the nationality of the householder (whether rental or owned) had to be indicated. What about Mexican owners with a foreign spouse? These figures might be included in the report. Again, that I don't know.

The interesting question then is how those two sources compared figures to make sure they weren't duplicating reported statistics. There obviously would be discrepancies because of missed people on the census, or inclusion of nationalized citizens on the housing survey (if those figures were compared), or people who were reported on the census but are undocumented, or other people who were picked up by the housing survey who were either temporary or undocumented if those figures were included. A statistician's nightmare which computers could possibly resolve with the right programing.

So, as most figures of this type, they are only approximate, may in any case be obsolete by some years, have a large margin of error, but are the only documented figures available. As most statisticians would say, something tangible is better than nothing.

What surprised me really were two things. One the large number of foreign residents in Baja California but then I remembered that industrially Tijuana is the forward thrusting center for foreign investment. The second is that the population from Columbia in Jalisco is larger than the Canadian population. One gets the impression from the Lake Chapala area that there is a goodly number of Canadians resident. But that many? And can't we distinguish Columbians from Mexicans? Where are the Canadians and the Columbians? Interesting.

Adiós. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Jul 16, 2007, 2:03 PM)

Camille

Jul 16, 2007, 8:45 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Mural Article 7-15-2007 Re Foreigners in Jalisco

These figures seem awfully low to me....the SF Chronicle says 20,000 US residents move to Mexico each MONTH, and I swear 15,000 of them were in Sam's in PV today...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4