Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Bethie

Feb 5, 2008, 4:10 AM

Post #51 of 54 (6017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [colibri1] Crime

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have read these posts regarding crime, violence, etc., and still have not and will not change my mind about moving to Monterrey next fall. I read the papers here in Baltimore Maryland and there is crime everywhere. I do not go to North Avenue at midnight looking for a pub for a drink, I do not go out at night here alone to use an ATM machine. Common sense must guide your actions here as anywhere in the world. I will not let fear keep me from meeting and living with my new family. Yes, it is alwasy good to know what is happening in your state and neighborhood, no matter where you live, but you can not dwell on the negative. Negativity breeds horrible things like hatred, depression, and these will manifest physical sickness in yourself. Life is to LIVE, not hide behind walls in fear. My biggest fear is whether my neighbor will have a blind rooster that crows at 3:00 a.m. instead of 5:00 a.m., or if I will be able to find Miller Lite.
Bethie

Judy in Ags

Feb 5, 2008, 9:58 AM

Post #52 of 54 (5994 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] Crime

When we were getting ready to move to Mexico (almost five years ago now), we were so amused at all our friends and acquaintances who threw the crime argument at us. Our response was, "Are you kidding? We live in ________County where there is a drive-by shooting several times a month, and we should be afraid to move to Mexico?"

We noticed among those who knew we were moving down here there was usually one of two responses--either "Oh, that is so neat!" or "Are you crazy?!" Some of those who thought we were crazy have kind of changed their minds, especially if they watch the weather reports where they live and compare them to where we live. The crime reports should also invoke a positive response to our living here.

alex .

Feb 8, 2008, 7:44 AM

Post #53 of 54 (5927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] I don't concern myself about "stuff"

I think there are two kinds of crime to think about. Notice I said 'think about', not 'be scared about' or 'worried about'. Property and personal. I can always get more stuff. I had a car window broken out for a thermos of coffee and some stale fig newtons (my favorite breakfast I might add). So what, $127 USD later I had a new window. I had the tow dolly stolen off the back of the motorhome. Big deal, when I need another I'll get one. I had an old Nissan stolen, so what, I think I had seven cars at that time. I don't care about my money either, I'll make more. I don't care about jail, I would get out someday. Now personal safety is another issue, thats a one way trip, I can't come back from the grave. So I will continue to be ready for the bad guy's arrival, he will come one day, and he will have made a serious mistake. One can choose not to be ready and hope for the best, not my problem. Oh, I'm presently in Phoenix AZ, my thoughts are the same.
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Feb 8, 2008, 7:48 AM)

colibri1

Feb 9, 2008, 5:21 AM

Post #54 of 54 (5879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bethie] Crime

Oops, I must have been in my cups when I mistakenly clicked "reply" to Ferguson's post. I heartily agree with all you've said! Except for the part about Miller lite. Try Victoria.
Marianne
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4