Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Celticson

Jul 12, 2007, 1:06 PM

Post #1 of 54 (14272 views)

Shortcut

Crime

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are new to getting excited about moving to Mexico, renting and later purchasing; however, we keep getting negative feedback from friends/relatives about crime, vis-a-vie, Tejuana. Can someone help us with responses to remarks such as these? I am sure that there is more chance of crime in Kalispell, Montana. Please advise.

Celticson
Celticson

Rolly

Jul 12, 2007, 2:25 PM

Post #2 of 54 (14244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Celticson] Crime

Why do you mention Tijuana? Are you planning the move there?

If all you know about crime in Mexico is what the news media reports, you will have a very distorted view of the country -- like your friends/relatives are exhibiting. Yes, TJ has a high crime rate -- most of it drug gangs battling each other, and drunken US sailors getting into trouble on weekends. If you are not into drugs and stay out of the club areas on weekends, you'll probably never have a problem.

Most parts of Mexico are quite safe. Parts of some cities may be a lot like parts of many cities in the USA. I feel much safer in my home in Lerdo than I did in my "safe" neighborhood in Los Angeles.

Rolly Pirate

Celticson

Jul 12, 2007, 2:45 PM

Post #3 of 54 (14240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Crime

We are not into drugs or crime. I am a retired police officer. I have been to Tijuanna once, and it was used as an example of the high crime in Mexico--that's why I mentioned it. I have no intention on going to TJ! I was looking for an intelligent and cogent response to give to those who do not know, and I for one, about the wonderful people who do live in Mexico. Candidly may I say, I found your post to be a little curt and not helpful to newbies looking to come to stay and live in Mexico.
Celticson

Don Moore

Jul 12, 2007, 2:49 PM

Post #4 of 54 (14240 views)

Shortcut

Hey, I was about to get on you about your comment about Kalispell, then I found that you are from Montana. Kalispell no doubt has more crime than Rexford, but I'd guess less than many or most places in Mexico.

I spent many years in Montana. We have more murders in Memphis in a given week than there in the state of Montana in a year. I'd love to be back in Somers, but I have to earn a living.
Don Moore

Don Moore

Jul 12, 2007, 2:51 PM

Post #5 of 54 (14238 views)

Shortcut

Relax,

Rolly has a long history on this forum of being very helpful to all comers. And he is probably the least curt or offensive or smart-assed individual who ever posted on MexConnect.
Don Moore

Celticson

Jul 12, 2007, 2:55 PM

Post #6 of 54 (14237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Crime

I have been to the Somers area. Right now, I live two miles from the Canadian border. The housing market is NILL. We want out very badly but we are unable to sell the house. I assume you are living in Memphis, which also I am familiar with it as I lived in Jackson, MS for a few years. Do you vacation in Mexico and have you lived there?
Celticson

Don Moore

Jul 12, 2007, 3:04 PM

Post #7 of 54 (14230 views)

Shortcut

I have not lived in Mexico, but I have quite a number of friends who do. I have travelled to all parts of the country for many years, beginning back in 1966. I speak Spanish well, but not fluently, so travel there is pretty easy for me. For about a decade now, I have kept up very closely with folks who are retired there and have been on these forums for about three years, I think.

I do truly love both Montana and Mexico and an ideal life for me would be to spend about six months a year in each. Right now, I am not spending much time in either. I have a lot of family responsibilities here in Memphis. I could afford to retire to Mexico now, but can not really leave here right now. Memphis is a lot cheaper than Montana, and I doubt if I could have a very good life style there without working. AND, you know the employment situation there, or lack thereof.

As to crime. From all I have heard, there is little risk to life and limb most anywhere in Mexico if you keep out of the bars and away from drug-related situations. There is a lot of petty crime all over the country, from what I have heard and have read here. You can't get much safer than in Montana, though, except for the woods in hunting season.

Just explore some of the back posts here and realize that there is quite a bit of playful smart-ass joshing, but most folks here really try to be helpful. Sometimes what we think is an insult is just the result of dashing off a response quickly without carefully examining the possible interpretations.

Best to you,
Don Moore

Celticson

Jul 12, 2007, 3:13 PM

Post #8 of 54 (14222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Moore] Crime

Thank you!!
Celticson

Don Moore

Jul 12, 2007, 3:20 PM

Post #9 of 54 (14217 views)

Shortcut

You are most welcome. I'm sure you will hear from others, but I think my generalities will hold up. If you have not already done so, VISIT ROLLY's SITE. IT IS FULL OF GREAT INFORMATION ABOUT MEXICO. Just put the crime question on the shelf. It is not a big issue, really.
Don Moore

Gringal

Jul 12, 2007, 3:26 PM

Post #10 of 54 (14213 views)

Shortcut

When Mexico was first mentioned around my family, they started recounting tales of bandidos and slaughtered gringos dating all the way back to Pancho Villa. Most likely, they just want to keep you nearby.

Is there a particular area in Mexico that you are considering? This forum includes people from all over Mexico who will give you the plusses (and sometimes even the minuses) of their own areas. The weather in Mexico varies widely from one place to another and is a huge factor in making a decision. since you have to live with it 24/7/360 unless you maintain a second home elsewhere.

For instance, the beaches are great, but the weather can be almost unbearably hot and humid at times. The high desert plains are beautiful and have a more temperate climate, but for some people, the altitude is a health problem. If you speak fluent Spanish, there are many options open to you that would be difficult for the non-bilingual person.

Let us know what you want, and you will probably get many responses. There is also a very good "search" function available.

By the way, one of the most valuable resources is our own Rolly at www.rollybrook.com. He answers many questions about moving to Mexico. All the details where devils dwell.

Welcome to an exciting adventure.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jul 12, 2007, 3:27 PM)

thriftqueen

Jul 12, 2007, 5:06 PM

Post #11 of 54 (14190 views)

Shortcut

When you get those crime stories, ask the person reporting on it - How many times they have been to Mexico and where they got their information from? One has to remember the news magazine type reports on TV draw their viewers by sensationalizing their stories. It seems they particularly love to do danger stories about Mexico.

One is as safe in Mexico, or maybe safer than most places in the USA. One needs to keep their head up and be aware in Mexico same as one would in the USA. Many of the sensational stories that your informants love to quote concern the visitor who comes to Mexico and throws all caution out the window.

We live in Alamos, Sonora which is a small historic city. We feel comfortable to live in a total Mexican neighborhood and feel perfectly safe to walk anywhere in the town at what ever hour.

Happy retirement to you.

Jerry@Ajijic

Jul 12, 2007, 8:45 PM

Post #12 of 54 (14139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thriftqueen] Crime

We are from central Florida and we feel many times safer here than we did in Florida and we lived in a small town. As for Rolly, I guess when you mentioned Tijuana for a comparison it shows you are not too familiar with Mexico. You must certainly not be thinking of moving here. It is like saying the US is expensive "like San Francisco". It think for such a unreasonable question his answer was quite mild.

Goody2shs

Jul 12, 2007, 9:51 PM

Post #13 of 54 (14134 views)

Shortcut

Dear Celticson: now you are talking to a real scaredycat, me. And I wish I were a better writer to really be able to express to you how safe and warm I felt during our first visit to Mexico two years ago. And trust me, after all the horrible reports I read from the government and the news from time to time, I was almost terrified when it came time to leave for our trip. I even went so far as to buy a personal alarm in case someone should rob or assault us. That's how brainwashed I was after reading all those warnings from everybody. We went to Ajijic, Guadalajara, and then drove a car to Manzanillo and stayed at a resort just North of there. But everywhere we went, we were surrounded by wonderfully friendly people and just loved going out walking at night through the cobblestone streets, mingled with the folks on the plaza, watched the children play, and sat with other friendly people in restaurants and generally meeting people everywhere. To make things even more comforting for us, a very generous member of this forum was very kind to meet us at our hotel in Guadalajara and brought us to Ajijic and gave us the grand tour of everything. It was more than what we could have asked for and he and his lovely wife further reassured us of how nice life could be in Mexico. I can't describe the warm fuzzies we felt all over because in Denver something like that is almost unthinkable. The same thing happened last year when we visited Mazatlan. I kept telling my husband like a broken record over and over: can you imagine how nice it is here, I feel safer than I have ever felt anywhere, I wonder what all those people are talking about about how dangerous Mexico is. Of courese, common sense tells you that if you want to stay away from trouble, you don't go where it is most likely to be. Therefore, prudence and a watchful eye is of course a good thing anywhere in this world, but this scared person is now cured of that feeling, I love it there and plan to live there very soon. Wishing to a wonderful trip, enjoy and have fun.

Celticson

Jul 12, 2007, 10:37 PM

Post #14 of 54 (14130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Crime

I don't understand the curtness of you and Rolly. All I did was mention that people challenge US about the crime in Mexico, as if we WERE going to TJ. I asked for help and advice, and I get disrespect and ridiculed. Sheesh, if I every get to Mexico, I hope I don't have neighbors like you and the other Dude. "What man who asked for a piece of bread, would be given a stone"? I'll know better than to ask for help again on these forums.
Celticson

Celticson

Jul 12, 2007, 10:39 PM

Post #15 of 54 (14128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Goody2shs] Crime

Thank you very much for your kindness and help with my question. You helped a great deal and shall use your post to show to those who question our decision to live in Mexico one day. : )
Celticson

drmike

Jul 13, 2007, 7:26 AM

Post #16 of 54 (14096 views)

Shortcut

Methinks Celticson should stay in Montana!
Dr. Mike

http://www.smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

There are hundreds of paths up the mountain,
all leading in the same direction,
so it doesn't matter which path you take.
The only one wasting time is the one
who runs around and around the mountain,
telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.

Hindu teaching

Rolly

Jul 13, 2007, 7:46 AM

Post #17 of 54 (14088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Crime

Yes, Mike, with such tender sensibilities he's in for a rough ride when he has to deal with the bureaucrats in the government, the phone company, the power company, etc. Mexico is not for everyone.

Rolly Pirate

belgique

Jul 14, 2007, 5:06 AM

Post #18 of 54 (13986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drmike] Crime

Had that thought too...I don't think that there has ever been a recorded incident of someone being offended by Rolly. If Bubba was here it would have really been interesting.

Goody2shs

Jul 14, 2007, 10:13 AM

Post #19 of 54 (13942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] Crime

Totally agree on that comment, Rolly is the best. His message just may have come across the wrong way on that particular day. I have never known anyone who goes out of his way more than Rolly in trying to help people with information. Just creating the extensive website he has, must have taken up an enormous amount of time, and all to help others. But Bubba, now, that would have been a complete other story.

Gringal

Jul 14, 2007, 10:17 AM

Post #20 of 54 (13940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] Crime

Maybe the guy is thin-skinned right now after having his friends and relatives give him a hard time.

We've seen Rolly's numerous posts over the years and know how generous and kind-spirited he is. I didn't see anything the least offensive in this one, either.

As far as the crime rate is concerned, it's largely a matter of perception. When you've just been robbed, it seems high.

raferguson

Jul 14, 2007, 8:56 PM

Post #21 of 54 (13885 views)

Shortcut

The simplest answer is that crime rates vary from locale to locale. Compare Washington DC to rural Montana. Similarly, compare Mexico City to Zacatecas. Any crime rate is an average of some kind.

On the other hand, there is some evidence that crime in Mexico is more likely to be violent than in the USA. For example, the Mexican homicide rate is double the US homicide rate. Car theft in Mexico is much more likely to involve carjacking than in the USA.

But I would just say to my friends that some parts of Mexico do have high crime rates, as do some parts of the USA, but that you do not plan to move to a high crime area in Mexico.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

robbers

Jul 15, 2007, 2:20 PM

Post #22 of 54 (13824 views)

Shortcut

Non-Personal Crime (homes & cars)

On my three visits to Cuernavaca, have noticed that many freestanding homes (even in gated communities) have fences around them. And in one gated community that I know well, most cars are also locked behind the gates. This particular community is occupied predominantly by somewhat upper-class Mexicans...and the several who I've asked "why the concern" to don't seem to have a credible answer.

In fact, when I ask about the specific crime events over the years that they've lived there, they cite a couple examples of things like a car being broken into and the CD player stolen, but these seem like extremely isolated events. Also, most of these people live there year-round so it's not like they're worried about squatters.

Can't quite figure this out, seems incongruent. Any thoughts?

raferguson

Jul 15, 2007, 2:53 PM

Post #23 of 54 (13819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robbers] Non-Personal Crime (homes & cars)

I have one survey that says that 44% of thefts in Cuernavaca are committed with violence or threats of violence.

In general, when there is an incongruity between what people say and what they do, it is best to ignore what they say and look instead at what they do.

If people say that they are not worried about crime, but have a high fence around their house, I suggest that the high fence speaks volumes.

I think that people are more worried about their personal safety, rather than somebody stealing the CD player out of their car.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

robbers

Jul 15, 2007, 3:38 PM

Post #24 of 54 (13813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Non-Personal Crime (homes & cars)

Raferguson, thanks for taking time to reply. Would be curious to know if the survey distinguished between robbery (personal) and burglary (home)? If the figure pertains more to robbery, could be attributable to "express kidnappings" (snatching people off the street and making them withdraw money from an ATM under the threat of personal injury from say a gun, knife, or unfiltered water).

Even if this doesn't explain the figure you mentioned, none of the three or four homeowners in that community cited any cases of personal violence. Though maybe there isn't any because of the fences, huh?

Jerry@Ajijic

Jul 15, 2007, 9:07 PM

Post #25 of 54 (13775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robbers] Non-Personal Crime (homes & cars)

We have lived in Ajijic for over 10 years and in that time I only know of two home robberies "with violence" here at lakeside.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4