Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

NJ2VER

Jul 5, 2007, 7:39 PM

Post #1 of 3 (4456 views)

Shortcut

Earthquake

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just got news that there was an earthquake felt in San Andreas Tuxtla. a 6.5? Was it centered south in Chiapas? Any else have news on this?

Rolly

Jul 5, 2007, 7:49 PM

Post #2 of 3 (4450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Earthquake

The AP reports:

TUXTLA GUTIERREZ, Mexico — A strong earthquake shook parts of southern Mexico on Thursday night, sending thousands of area residents fleeing from buildings into the streets.

Officials said there were no immediate reports of injury or damage.

The magnitude-6.1 earthquake hit Chiapas state at 8:09 p.m. local time, said the U.S. Geological Survey, which monitors quakes worldwide.

Thousands of people in the Chiapas state capital Tuxtla Gutierrez ran out of homes and buildings as the ground trembled and windows rattled. Electricity for much of the city was also cut off for several minutes.

Rolly Pirate

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jul 7, 2007, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Earthquake

¡Hola, amigos costeños!
I was at my studio preparing a presentation for my Rotary Club, and the wife of our new president was here with me, when she said "¿Oyes, esta temblando?"(Is it shaking?) and I answered I didn't feel a thing. But thinking about it, what I had felt was like I was a little woozy. Fortunately it has only shaken here about a dozen times slightly in 35 years. In 1973, when I was in Canada waiting for my canadian immigration papers in order to come to Mexico to marry my jalapeña novia(now wife for 34 years!!!), there was a big quake, and lots of damage. The other was in Puebla several years ago, and of course "the big one" in 1985 which leveled a lot of Mexico City.
Bueno, amigos, ya me voy porque mis nietos estan aqui.
¡Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4