Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

margojean

Jun 30, 2007, 5:03 PM

Post #1 of 23 (13311 views)

Shortcut

lost the vonage connection

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have lost my Vonage connection. The Telephone modem (WRT 54 GP2) has all the required lights on but fails to produce a voice connection or even give a line signal. I have tried the usual unpluggings and reconnections without changing the situation. Any ideas?
margojean

Rolly

Jun 30, 2007, 5:55 PM

Post #2 of 23 (13294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [margojean] lost the vonage connection

I have no idea what your problem is, but I recently had the phone company replace my failed DSL modem which still had its lights on. I had a similar problem with a wireless router that quit working with its lights still on. So, I guess the lights can lie.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jun 30, 2007, 5:56 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Jun 30, 2007, 6:34 PM

Post #3 of 23 (13286 views)

Shortcut

I presume that living where you do, that you have either Lagunanet WiFi or Prodigy Infinitum. You have tried recycling your phone adaptor. And I presume you left it un-plugged for a sufficient time. Not 2 or 3 seconds but for a minute or so. I bet you have also checked the wiring between components.

If I were you I would do it all again. I'm here in Seattle. So I am going by memory here. But my Linksys phone adaptor has two places I can plug in my standard phone line, only one of which works. If I plug into the wrong one I get nothing. Try the other plug receptacle.

If all of that fails you could try one other thing that probably wont help, that's to recycle the router you have your adaptor plugged into. Good luck and let us know what you find out is wrong.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 30, 2007, 6:35 PM)

Papirex

Jun 30, 2007, 7:50 PM

Post #4 of 23 (13274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] lost the vonage connection

Pete, it has nothing to do with Margojeanís problem, but my Motorola phone adapter furnished to me by Vonage has a second phone jack on it too. It is not functional unless I want to pay them for a second phone (or fax?) line. I havenít done that, so it doesnít work either.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

johanson / Moderator

Jun 30, 2007, 7:55 PM

Post #5 of 23 (13271 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] lost the vonage connection

Hey Rex, I didn't know that. Thanks. FUI I don't use Vonage, I use www.IconnectHere.com and I am paying as little as I can, about $16 per month. That explains why only one of the two RJ 11 plugs is active.

Again, thanks for the info

johanson / Moderator

Jun 30, 2007, 9:14 PM

Post #6 of 23 (13260 views)

Shortcut

Just an added thought, maybe all she needed to do was recycle the unit but when recycling she accidently changed where she plugged in her telephone to the adaptor. And maybe she accidently plugged her telephone line into the extra and dead second receptacle. I know that I have done that before.

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 30, 2007, 11:21 PM)

margojean

Jul 1, 2007, 6:30 AM

Post #7 of 23 (13246 views)

Shortcut

I believe there is a Linksys site where router settings can be checked and changed, if one knows what one is doing. Perhaps someone knows the address of that site. Alternatively, is there someone around Ajijic who can help.
margojean

Papirex

Jul 1, 2007, 7:00 AM

Post #8 of 23 (13242 views)

Shortcut

Margojean, I have my phone adapter connected directly to my cable modem, and my router is connected to the phone adapter, which is the way Vonage instructions showed to do it, although the router can be connected directly to the modem, and the phone adapter can be connected to the router the way yours is too.

As a test, I would suggest that you disconnect your router, and then connect the phone adapter directly to your modem to see if you then get your Vonage service back. If you do, then you will know that the problem is with the router, and not the phone adapter.

A router is not necessary for Vonage to work. I use a wireless router because we have two desktop computers connected with cables, and I use my wireless laptop throughout the house.

I do not use Infinitim, but if you are using that service, they have been widely reported to be blocking the use of VOIP phone services in some areas. There may possibly be nothing wrong with your router.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

bournemouth

Jul 1, 2007, 8:14 AM

Post #9 of 23 (13231 views)

Shortcut

I live in the same area and Vonage is working fine so I think it is a problem within Margojean's system - sadly. The feeling of being out of touch is a very uncomfortable one.

Jerry@Ajijic

Jul 1, 2007, 10:21 AM

Post #10 of 23 (13220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] lost the vonage connection

We had Vonage problems for about 2 weeks just like we had for a while last year. The internet worked fine most of the time but no Vonage. The whole system is now working fine. I think maybe there are only a limited number of "good" line available so they just have decided to just let us "take turns".

taltman711

Jul 1, 2007, 11:26 AM

Post #11 of 23 (13209 views)

Shortcut

Use the troubleshooting part of the online manual.http://www.vonage.com/...T54GP2_UserGuide.pdf
If you want the address of your WRT and check things, it is
http://192.168.15.1. I wold not change any of these settings, however, unless you are very familiar with routers. You are not connected to another router, are you??

Tim

margojean

Jul 1, 2007, 6:31 PM

Post #12 of 23 (13186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [taltman711] lost the vonage connection

We are back in business. A very talented friend came by and finally discovered a short circuit behind the TV that had done us in. Caused by the cat. End of problem
margojean

Papirex

Jul 1, 2007, 10:10 PM

Post #13 of 23 (13170 views)

Shortcut

Dang! Every one of us forgot to remind you to be sure to reboot the cat!!
(I thought about doing it, but I didnít want to sound too technical.)

Rex

johanson / Moderator

Jul 1, 2007, 10:44 PM

Post #14 of 23 (13164 views)

Shortcut

"My bad" As the younger generations says. I used the following term "recycling your phone adaptor" instead of rebooting when making suggestions above.

Judy in Ags

Jul 10, 2007, 4:03 PM

Post #15 of 23 (13110 views)

Shortcut

Hi Pete,

Well, I thought I was the only one in Mexico still using IConnectHere. I get 1000 minutes per month to USA and Canada for $11.95 and checking today (I hate that one has to add up all the minutes, instead of getting a monthly sum) and in the last 4 months have averaged 346 minutes a month. I might be able to get by on 400 a month, but hate to cut it that close. I also have a SkypeIn USA number for 30-some dollars a year so folks can call me with their free long-distance minutes.

I can't really justify paying an additional $13 a month to Vonage. The one advantage would be having a phone that would ring even when the computer is off or hybernating. Anyone have any thoughts on that, except maybe that I sound cheap? It's just that all those little monthly costs add up.

bournemouth

Jul 10, 2007, 4:12 PM

Post #16 of 23 (13108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] lost the vonage connection

Judy - we all do what makes us comfortable. For me it was having phones all over the house (maybe you can do that with skype, I don't know) and bringing our old home number with us on Vonage. It makes keeping up with friends who may not be computer literate easier and our continued transactions with businesses NOB have been seamless because our phone number has not changed.

I do not use that many minutes per month and have 500 with Vonage for 14.99 per month. I don't think we have ever gone over. Vonage to Vonage is always free and we have lots of friends in other places who are on Vonage too, so calls to them do not count against the 500 minutes.

Bloviator

Jul 11, 2007, 5:45 AM

Post #17 of 23 (13086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] lost the vonage connection

I live in the same general area. Our Infinitum kept going out every week-end for a long time. I checked with Telmex and they told me that there was a problem in our neighborhood and to use the tried and true Mexican repair method - just wait. I did so and every Monday or Tuesday it would come back on. Last Thursday, the system decided to take a long 4th of July week-end and went out early. I waited, assuming it would start up again, but did check with Telmex and Mexico City Infinitum as usual.

It did not start up again, but Telmex sent a technician and discovered that our modem was shot and replaced it. Now everything is good.

I take back everything I've ever said about Telmex. They are wonderful and I hope Carlos Slim becomes the richest person in the world (Oh, that's right, he already is).

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jul 11, 2007, 5:50 AM)

johanson / Moderator

Jul 11, 2007, 3:12 PM

Post #18 of 23 (13067 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] lost the vonage connection

Yes Judy, it was Esperanza who recommended www.IconnectHere.com to me. I have had very good luck with it.

johanson / Moderator

Jul 14, 2007, 10:30 AM

Post #19 of 23 (13017 views)

Shortcut

Somehow this forum got locked and then unlocked. And no one seems to know why. Oh well. It's no big deal, but I sure wish I knew how it happened. Smile

Brian

Jul 15, 2007, 10:02 AM

Post #20 of 23 (12991 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Somehow this forum got locked and then unlocked. And no one seems to know why. Oh well. It's no big deal, but I sure wish I knew how it happened. Smile

Well, I'm glad I could get back in. Here is a nifty device that could be the next Vonage/Skype Killer:

http://www.magicjack.com/site/index.html

Brian

Rolly

Jul 15, 2007, 10:27 AM

Post #21 of 23 (12985 views)

Shortcut

I saw that it was locked and wondered why. There didn't seem to be any clear reason. I started to unlock it, but decided not to play in another guy's sandbox.

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Jul 15, 2007, 11:41 AM

Post #22 of 23 (12976 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Well, I didn't lock it, but I unlocked it when you asked.

johanson / Moderator

Jul 15, 2007, 12:07 PM

Post #23 of 23 (12972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] lost the vonage connection

Thanks for the input. It was all very confusing, not upsetting to me. I know that it would only have been locked if something were wrong, and I couldn't figure out what it was that was wrong.

I guess it was the computer gremlin again Smile

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4