Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

MexBob01

Jun 26, 2007, 6:00 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1273 views)

Shortcut

Guadalajara to San Miguel de Allende

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi All, can someone tell me the best road(s) to take from Guadalajara to SMA? I am leaving from Mazatlan this Friday and will take 15 through Tepic to Guad but not sure which is the best route to take leaving out of Guad to SMA. Thanks.

RickS

Jun 27, 2007, 10:54 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MexBob01] Guadalajara to San Miguel de Allende

Well, you don't really have much of a choice... go out east of Guadalajara NE on the toll road (80?)towards San Juan de los Lagos (100 miles). Shortly after passing Lagos, connect with another toll (45?) and skirt Leon to Silao (another 60 mi) where you do have a choice: 1] turn NE towards Guanajuato City continuing on to Dolores Hidalgo and then to SMA (another 75), mostly 2-lane; or 2] continue south from Silao on the toll (45?) to just north of Celaya and then up to SMA (100 mi).

bournemouth

Jun 27, 2007, 11:03 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Guadalajara to San Miguel de Allende

There is another small variant on Rick's route. We always take the minor road to San Miguel from Guanajuato - it's not a bad road and I think a little quicker than going over the mountain and down to Dolores Hidalgo and then on to San Miguel. Leaving Guanjuato it would be the road to Juventino Rosas, but you branch off for SMA after a few kilometers.

jerezano

Jun 27, 2007, 11:40 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1233 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Guadalajara to San Miguel de Allende

Hello,
Search these posts for your Guadalajara to San Miguel de Allende route. Some time back there was a rather long thread on this. Our friend Bubba posted a short cut route which does NOT take the quota to Lagos de Moreno which goes North and then goes back south to Celaya etc. The short cut cuts off a goodly number of kilometers and is free, and at the time of the posts (about 6 months or more back) the roads were in excellent condition. If you have a Guia Roji you will see the big differnece.

Hey, I found the post Here it is:

>>>The drive to La Piedad from the airport [NB: Guadalajara's airport] along Autopista 15 toward Mexico City through Guadalajara is not at all complicated You don´t even enter the city but turn right [NB: if coming from Chapala] south of town in a relatively uncongested area. You do not want to head toward San Juan de Los Lagos or Lagos De Marino at all. Even though you can get to San Miguel from there by going through Guanajuato, this is a huge mistake. The roads up there are country roads and will add considerable time to your journey. [NB: I don't know what he means by this last sentence].

>>>Remember this:

>>>Highway 15 from Guadalajara to the La Piedad turnoff is an excellent freeway and nearly deserted.
The road from La Piedad to Irapuato is excellent and almost all new four lane high speed highway.
The freeway from Irapuato ( which you totally bypass unless you wish to stop there) to Celaya is an excellent toll road. Do not even think of going on the free road.
From Celaya to San Miguel is a cakewalk although the road is not that great. It is straight and easily driven. <<<

Have a good trip. Adiós. jerezano.

(This post was edited by jerezano on Jun 27, 2007, 12:01 PM)

MexBob01

Jun 27, 2007, 8:29 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Guadalajara to San Miguel de Allende

Thanks to all for your input. Good information. Gracias.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4