Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

michaelmoore

Jun 7, 2007, 6:55 PM

Post #1 of 10 (3183 views)

Shortcut

Need advice PV to La Paz

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi everyone, My wife and I want to travel from Illinois to La Paz. There is a reasonably priced charter from St Louis to Puerto Vallarta but that leaves us with the problem of getting to Mazatlan and then to La Paz. I am having difficulty finding the best way for both the land leg and the ferry trip. Does anyone have experience in this? I realize this is probably more difficult than other ways but airline prices are skyrocketing as you all know. Thanks to all and God bless. BTW, I have enjoyed reading posts here and hope to get to know some of you. My wife has a cousin in Ajijic too, by the way. Stop in at Villa de Angel and say hi to Angelique for us. Thanks, Michael

Bloviator

Jun 7, 2007, 6:59 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [michaelmoore] Need advice PV to La Paz

The ferry is an overnight and costs about $200. I've always wanted to take that trip, but it is too costly and time consuming. I know there is still a ferry from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia, but am not sure there is still one from Maz to La Paz.

Could you take Southwest (probably the cheapest) or another airline to San Diego and a bus to La Paz from TJ? That would be a lot quicker, cheaper, and more convenient if such bus service is available.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jun 7, 2007, 7:03 PM)

dhkomisar

Jun 7, 2007, 8:09 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3172 views)

Shortcut

We flew last year from Tucson, to Hermasillo, then on to La Paz (via Loreto) on Aero Litoral, I think its the commuter airline of AeroMexico.

Here is a link to the Guaymas-Santa Rosalia ferry: http://www.ferrysantarosalia.com/

We also have had friends take the ferry from the Los Mochis/Topolobampo area to La Paz and its supposed to be a good way to go, its about 10 hours overnight. Here is a link to some info: http://www.loscabosguide.com/bajaferries/index.html

Also, here's a link to a blog discussing the various ferries and pricing.

Deborah

dhkomisar

Jun 7, 2007, 8:10 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3171 views)

Shortcut

the blog on baja ferries

http://bajaferries.blogspot.com/

dhkomisar

Jun 7, 2007, 8:23 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3167 views)

Shortcut

One more thought, we've flown to Cabo San Lucas and driven to LaPaz, its not that far, and you could probably find inexpensive flights that way. I'm thinking there may also be a bus from Cabo to La Paz too.

Deborah

thriftqueen

Jun 7, 2007, 9:01 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3162 views)

Shortcut

Here's another link to the Baja Ferries info:

http://www.bajasundog.com/bajaferries.html

MazDee

Jun 7, 2007, 9:30 PM

Post #7 of 10 (3159 views)

Shortcut

You can bus (about 5/6 hours?) from PV to Maz, and there is a ferry 3 times a wk to LaPaz. But, it is a long trip and unless you want to spend the night in chairs, you will want a stateroom. That is rather expensive. I haven't made the trip yet, but plan to do it because I like boat rides! I understand the ferries now are very nice, but definitely not cheap. PM me if you want rates and I will try to find them. The websites are not always accurate.

Bloviator

Jun 10, 2007, 8:10 AM

Post #8 of 10 (3123 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by dlyman6500 | Private Reply

michaelmoore

Jun 17, 2007, 12:38 PM

Post #9 of 10 (3081 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dhkomisar] Need advice PV to La Paz

Thank you Deborah. This is the route we are going to wind up taking. We finally quit searching for flights to LAP and looked instead for ones to SJD. We found one that was perfect for us (through FunJet Charter). All we have to do now is drive or take the bus to La Paz. Thank you all so much for your help!! We will be staying at the Hotel Perla. I have hope that it is a good stay.

dhkomisar

Jun 17, 2007, 3:06 PM

Post #10 of 10 (3071 views)

Shortcut

We stayed at the Perla last year, its a charming older hotel, wonderful location right along the malecon, you can walk to everything! Have a wonderful trip, we're going again in October to scuba dive.

Deborah

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4