Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

dreamaines

Jun 5, 2007, 4:45 AM

Post #1 of 9 (11098 views)

Shortcut

Tonala Glass Blowers

Can't Post | Private Reply
Buenos Dias.

Does anyone know if there is a particular area (or street) in Tonala that specializes in larger glass blown objects. Such as, lamp shades and large vases. I made my way to Tonala from Ajijic just fine, but couldn't find anything but small glass items. I've searched the forums and tried Googling, but no luck.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Barb

Camille

Jun 5, 2007, 12:51 PM

Post #2 of 9 (11075 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dreamaines] Tonala Glass Blowers

The best glassblowers in Tonala, in my opinion, are the Suarez family, who own a large factory, Antigua Santiago, at Avenida Tonala no. 341. They produce evrything you can think of... from glassware to huge platters to blown glass fruit to stunning lamps. I was there four years ago, sure there was a special treasure waiting for me, but I couldn't see it. Then just as we were leaving, I looked up and saw a glorious orange lampshade hanging from the ceiling. I asked to see other shades, and was told, No, Senora, this is our only one, we don't make lamps......But I had to have it, and in a few minutes it came down and rode all the way to the beach in my lap. I guarded it with my life all through house construction, and now it hangs in my apricot living room.
The next time I went to Tonala, the factory had a few floor lamps, then wall sconces, then table lamps, and finally shades in all shapes and sizes! I'm adding a second floor now, and have already made one buying trip for that project.
Their shipping is efficient and reasonable, and they replaced one shade which broke in transit. And they make lovely wine glasses!
I envy you the thrill of walking in there for the first time!

dreamaines

Jun 5, 2007, 3:00 PM

Post #3 of 9 (11065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Tonala Glass Blowers

Muchas Gracias, Camille.

I will go back to Tonala ASAP with the address in hand.

Barb

Waterlily

Jun 6, 2007, 12:43 PM

Post #4 of 9 (11040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dreamaines] Tonala Glass Blowers

That's our favorite place too. I had sconces made for 4 wrought iron chandelier, 2 dozen sconces, and the cost was $84.00. We had our things shipped and they arrived in 1 week - all intact.

runklesg

Nov 21, 2007, 5:49 AM

Post #5 of 9 (10899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterlily] Tonala Glass Blowers

A friend and I are going to the Tonola Craft Market and on to Tlaquepaque next Thursday. Any special shops or restaurants we should look for? Any recommendations are welcome.

Waterlily

Nov 21, 2007, 8:33 AM

Post #6 of 9 (10882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [runklesg] Tonala Glass Blowers

We stay at Quinta Don Jose in Tlaquepaque in one of the rooms at the back. Too noisy at the front. You will need reservations. The owners speak English and the staff is terrific. Great breakfasts on the patio also. Only 2 blocks from the main shopping plaza.
Have at least one dinner at Rio San Pedro- it's very good with a lot of different options. Not standard Mexican. On the plaza I love the chilies en nogada at El Patio. This place can be hit or miss. We have always hit it, but some of my friends have missed. Down the plaza from El Patio is another restaurant on the same side of the plaza that has very good Mexican food also. Both these restaurants have had 10-12 piece woman mariachi groups and they have been excellent.
Maria's of Guadalara is on the plaza in Tlaquepaque. Not as wide a selection as the store in Ixtapa, but nice cotton clothing.
Tonala is a walking experience. Wear good shoes and take off. Try to remember where you parked the car. Some of the nicer shops are of the main street. It's a real bazaar if you go on market day.

runklesg

Nov 21, 2007, 8:52 AM

Post #7 of 9 (10878 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterlily] Tonala Glass Blowers

Thank you Waterlily. I'm looking forward to the trip. We are taking the bus from Tepic and will only stay for the day.

esperanza

Nov 21, 2007, 11:45 AM

Post #8 of 9 (10867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [runklesg] Tonala Glass Blowers

Holy smokes, you're planning to travel from Tepic AND shopping Tonalá and Tlaquepaque in one swell foop...and then heading back to Tepic?

More power to you...Tonalá alone is more than most folks can do in a single Thursday! It's so crowded--especially this close to Christmas--that you're lucky to be able to walk in the market aisles.

I'd pick one or the other, if it were me.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Waterlily

Nov 21, 2007, 12:19 PM

Post #9 of 9 (10864 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Tonala Glass Blowers

I agree with Cristina. Way too much for one day.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4