Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bloviator

Jun 4, 2007, 10:51 AM

Post #1 of 10 (1934 views)

Shortcut

Internet Connection?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is there any option for internet Lakeside other than Infinitum? Our service goes out for several days at a time each week lately. The Telmex people assure me that they will get if fixed, but never do. Evidently the problem is one of just a few people in Ajijic.

Gringal

Jun 4, 2007, 11:55 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1919 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Internet Connection?

We have Telecable. It's working fine and when you call for service, they do come out. We haven't had many outages such as you described. So far, so good.

johanson

Jun 4, 2007, 2:20 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1900 views)

Shortcut

There is a Company called "Cyber-Cable" that provides cable internet in the Lake Chapala area. It is owned by TeleCable. To see their rates go to

http://www.cybercable.net.mx/...ambrico/cha_ala.html

The rates seem quite reasonable for Mexico. sadly the web-page only shows the download speeds, not the upload speeds. Also, I hope that the internet goes down less often than my Telecable TV signals do. (Remember, they use the same cable)

The same staff that used to only sell you cable TV all of a sudden have become internet experts as well. When I was last there about a month ago asking questions, the very nice staff seemed enthusiastic but could could not answer simple questions like "what is the upload speed?"

It will be interesting to see how well they do. Competition is a good thing.

RickS

Jun 6, 2007, 11:50 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1835 views)

Shortcut

Dick, have you not considered wireless with Lagunanet? There is an upfront cost but .....

johanson

Jun 6, 2007, 5:33 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Internet Connection?

In answer to the original question. There are four, yes four land based ISPs lakeside near Ajijic. The first on the scene was Lagunanet, next came Prodigy, then Mexico Wireless and finally Cybercable, Not all are available everywhere lakeside. Not all work well everywhere lakeside.

Both my Lagunanet and Prodigy Infinitum connections work well. At least they did 3 weeks ago before I came North. Do I need two ISPs? No. But then again I don't need the four satellite TV providers I have either or my cable TV.

The one I usually use is Lagunanet, because it has a much faster upload speed. And besides they were the first ISP lakeside. NO I do not have any ownership interest in Lagunanet, although I DO volunteer to give tech advice there some mornings when I'm lakeside

(This post was edited by johanson on Jun 6, 2007, 7:44 PM)

bournemouth

Jun 6, 2007, 6:36 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Internet Connection?

Pete - does Lagunanet go as far out as Vista del Lago?

jsandrock

Jun 6, 2007, 6:52 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1795 views)

Shortcut

Well, I can second the bit about the Telmex DSL going out rather often -- but our whole PHONE was out for two days this week -- it just came back today. We've lost internet for at least a day twice in the past two weeks. But when it's working it seems to be just fine! Maybe they WILL fix it one of these days...hope springs eternal.

jsandrock

johanson

Jun 6, 2007, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Internet Connection?

Lagunanet dialup sure does, but broadband WIFI only covers from the western edge of Chapala, and Westward through through 95% of the populations centers like San Antonio, Ajijic, San Juan Cosala to and including most of Jocotepec.

bournemouth

Jun 6, 2007, 8:02 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Internet Connection?

Thanks Pete.

gbatrucks

Jun 21, 2007, 4:19 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1641 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Internet Connection?

In Jocotepec, my wireless service was constantly unable to keep connected,& Skype calls were horrible. Since I switched to Infintium, my service has been connected 100% Not once has it failed to connect & my Skype calls to Europe are loud & clear. I wonder if the problems might be in the lines in your particular area?
"The trouble with life is there's no background music."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4