Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Georgia

Apr 29, 2007, 8:06 AM

Post #1 of 19 (5789 views)

Shortcut

A quick question about banda music

Can't Post | Private Reply
Are they truly all playing the same song at the same time? Or do they each just play whatever piece of music they want all at the same time? Inquiring minds need to know.

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on May 17, 2007, 7:58 PM)

BrentB

May 17, 2007, 6:15 PM

Post #2 of 19 (5422 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] A quick question about banda music

in the "traditional Banda", each instrument is playing the same song, but in a different key, hence what sounds like cacophony. The new electronic banda music, all the rage with the younger Mexicans is only played in 2 keys. I hate Banda music, gimme Ranchero or norteña.

brent

Georgia

May 17, 2007, 7:26 PM

Post #3 of 19 (5409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BrentB] A quick question about banda music

So,I really can hear after all. This explains everything. Thank you.

Marlene

May 17, 2007, 10:30 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5383 views)

Shortcut

Ha! Visit Sinaloa sometime (but bring earplugs). :-)

pana

May 18, 2007, 1:42 PM

Post #5 of 19 (5310 views)

Shortcut

Georgia.....Banda music is not played in different keys at the same time....no one would stand for that. Either BrentB has his tongue deep in his cheek or he just thinks that's the way it sounds. For a more academic look at what's going on in Banda, check out the detailed explanation in Wikipedia. It's basically German polka/mariachi music on steroids, often not played very well in tune, with the tuba or Sousaphone, usually a lowly background instrument, assuming a prominent role. No, I wouldn't want to hear it all the time, but give me Banda over Death Metal anytime.

Pana

Georgia

May 18, 2007, 4:08 PM

Post #6 of 19 (5283 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pana] A quick question about banda music

But his is the only logical explanation for our village's banda music. You've gotta hear it to understand. Outstanding. The dogs howl.

Gringal

May 18, 2007, 4:29 PM

Post #7 of 19 (5276 views)

Shortcut

"give me Banda over Death Metal anytime. "

What a choice! They had this music going on the SMA Sunday Jardin bandstand sometimes. Clears the crowd right out.

DavidMcL

May 18, 2007, 6:02 PM

Post #8 of 19 (5249 views)

Shortcut

Last February in Chapala there was a corrida during which they held a horse dance contest.
Attached is a quick-time movie of one of the dancing horses - which had the type of band you are talking about providing the music.
I hope it works!
BTW. The horses were truely magnificent and worked their hearts out to show their steps and stay inside the square for the full five minutes of "dance time".

David

http://www.mexconnected.com/realaudio/PICT0040.MOV

(When you click on the link, it should open a new window for the QuickTime movie - and take a couple of minutes to download the 10 mb file. Enjoy!)
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on May 18, 2007, 6:05 PM)

BrentB

May 18, 2007, 6:18 PM

Post #9 of 19 (5244 views)

Shortcut

Pana,

How dare you accuse me of "tomando el pelo de Georgiana"? I forgot to add that the different keys are random, and once in awhile the whole band plays a song in the same key. This happens mostly when they and the audience have had too much to drink. Hey maybe it only sounds like they are in the same key.

Banda (traditional) is actually the father of metal music, please note that all instruments are metal.
I hate both types of music, both drive listeners to violence.

brent

pana

May 18, 2007, 10:47 PM

Post #10 of 19 (5208 views)

Shortcut

BrentB.....I gotta admit that the banda heard in the Quicktime video clip submitted by David McL would give an aspirin a headache, but they are all playing in the key of B flat. However, some of the banda members (namely the trombones) are having a terrible time playing the PITCHES of the notes associated with the KEY of B flat. That may be due to the fact that they are amateurs or possibly drunk, or both.....a lethal combination. Hey, I've heard mariachis that played and sang so well it would bring tears to your eyes, but mariachis can also make you cry because they sound so bad. I heard a 30 piece banda at a wedding in Monterrey that was terrific......they were sort of a cosmopolitan banda.........they even played New York!, New York! Now that was torture, but everything else they played was great for a Mexican wedding, and they were all in the same key.

Banda is the father of Metal?.....now you're "tomando mi pelo".

Pana

MazDee

May 19, 2007, 12:48 AM

Post #11 of 19 (5201 views)

Shortcut

I happen to love Banda Sinaloense, as long as I am far enough away. That much brass can be ear-splitting. My friend Marlene apparently doesn't like them but I do! A really cool thing happened in Maz a year or two ago. The Sinaloa symphony played a concert in the street with "our own" Banda El Recodo, which is very famous all over Latin America and in the States. I thought it was marvelous. The street (Olas Altas, on the seafront) was blocked and filled with chairs, and many people sat and stood on the sea wall. I sat in a restaurant practically in front of the bandstand (Puerto Viejo). The banda and the symphony were all on the bandstand together and sort of alternated, but sometimes played together. While the banda was playing and the symph wasn't, some of the musicians in their black formal outfits got up and started dancing at the sides of the bandstand. I have never seen the conductor, Gordon Campbell, more energized! He was kind of jumping up and down as he conducted. A thousand or more people probably heard their very first symphony orchestra. They came because Banda El Recodo is legendary here, and to hear and see them free was a treat, indeed. If you want to hear what banda is SUPPOSED to sound like, go to the originals, Banda El Recodo. I am sure you can find them on the internet. And if you don't like it, well fine! Poo to you too! Dee

pana

May 19, 2007, 12:16 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5152 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] A quick question about banda music

MazDee......There's a lot of Banda El Recodo on YouTube.....even a clip of them playing in Germany. I have a couple of their CD's. I love these guys!

Pana

BrentB

May 19, 2007, 1:17 PM

Post #13 of 19 (5146 views)

Shortcut

Georgia,

Could your village be Chapala? Don't move to Ixta, the banda there aspires to make it to the "big leagues" in Chapala. Then there are some in Oxa.

brent

Georgia

May 19, 2007, 6:15 PM

Post #14 of 19 (5110 views)

Shortcut

Nope ... not Chapala, the Joco banda group. Just amazing. Sometimes they play at the Malecon and we hear them all the way to our house in El Chante.

TlxcalaClaudia

May 27, 2007, 12:31 PM

Post #15 of 19 (5005 views)

Shortcut

I LOVE Banda music....but now am suspicious of some of it after learning about Narco Corridas??? Did I spell that right? Anyhoo...I want to actually understand the words now, seems a bit of the "rap" language exists in some banda. A form of expression, yes I know...but not what I want the kiddies to pick up. As for the sound? I like it.

Claudine

Oscar2

May 28, 2007, 8:39 AM

Post #16 of 19 (4956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TlxcalaClaudia] A quick question about banda music

Having read about Banda music on this thread and really not familiar with it, except for having heard a download, I coincidently parked next to this young Mexican fellow who pulled up in a pick-up with Banda shattering his widows …..

I looked over at him from my passenger seat adjacent to his truck as he shut down his engine and when he opened his door the volume of the ear crushing Banda music stopped and left a stillness in the air which almost seemed surreal. ;-)

With a braced smile, I asked the young mustached, T-shirt pickup driver, what kind of music was that and he said, “Es música de los Norco’s.” And I said, (even though it sounded like Mexican rap, isn’t that Banda music?

He replied, “se pero siempre es música de los corridos de los Narco’s.” I pressed on and said, it sounds like Rancheras and you can dance like the Merengue to it. He said, no se.

trpt2345

May 28, 2007, 9:06 PM

Post #17 of 19 (4917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] A quick question about banda music

Banda music is proof that bad music is possible anywhere, anytime, even in cultures with rich traditions of good music. Give me son jarocho, or those cumbias from Columbia, even regaton (sp?). Banda music is worse than marching band music.

Michael McLaughlin

Oscar2

May 29, 2007, 5:10 PM

Post #18 of 19 (4876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [trpt2345] A quick question about banda music

Michael, I don’t know if the ratcheting of my age is edging in on me but with time things kind of change. Don’t get me wrong because I do enjoy a good “get down” kind of Ranchera, as I also like hot stepping to a Salsa and an occasional Merengue type music. However, as of late, something Latin and new has hit the market place which many and I, are enjoying to its fullest.

The Latin Italian singer is world renown in every corner of this globe for his operatic talents in line with Pavarote and others but this time he out did himself in a wonderful way.

He is that blind from birth operatic singer Andrea Bocelli who just recently stepped out of the box and into a musical venture which has thrilled millions, including yours truly. It’s a music video which mesmerizes plus and additional CD of just his music for easy listening or while on the road driving.

Anyway, I liked it tremendously maybe others feel the same.

Oopps, my wife called out that the baby back ribs were ready for dinner and I plum forgot to mention the most important – the name of his new entry:

Under The Desert Sky

It includes such romantic Latin classics as:

Amapola
Besame Mucho
Somos Novios (It’s Impossible)
September Moon
The Prayer (Excellent)
Momentos

These are just to name a few I’m sure you’ll find enjoyable.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on May 29, 2007, 5:42 PM)

trpt2345

May 29, 2007, 7:32 PM

Post #19 of 19 (4858 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] A quick question about banda music

Hey, Oscar, I know about Bocelli but you can't really take into account anything I say because when it comes to music I am a professional, I do make my living at it, so I have all these weird opinions based on some esoteric stuff that I don't want to bore people with. But suffice it to say I hate banda music. You have to hate something and for me it may as well be that. One of my favorite things in the world is Cuban music, all of it from the traditional stuff to timba and beyond. Second: Brazilian music. The difference between Cuban music and Brazilian: Cuban music is aggressive, it hits you over the head. Brazilian music is cool, so-cool-I-wear-sunglasses-at-night-cool. But basically I'm a jazz guy, one with classical training but a jazz guy nonetheless.

Michael McLaughlin "el bolillo ranchero"

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4