Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

runklesg

May 29, 2007, 10:22 AM

Post #1 of 18 (15745 views)

Shortcut

US to Mexico Border Crossing

Can't Post | Private Reply
Moving to Tepic in a few months and have found alot of useful information on this site. I'm still trying to decide which border crossing to use with the least problems. I'm coming from Denver on I-25 and I'm thinking of crossing at Columbus. I'll be pulling a small (5'x6') enclosed trailer with mostly personal items. No furniture and no appliances, not even a computer. I'll have my FM3 and hopefully a vehicle permit when I arrive at the border. Any info on personal experiences is appreciated.

Papirex

May 29, 2007, 11:51 AM

Post #2 of 18 (15730 views)

Shortcut

Re: [runklesg] US to Mexico Border Crossing

We crossed the border several years ago, pulling a small enclosed cargo trailer containing only personal items and household goods, stereo, small appliances etc. We did not bother with a menaje de casa. I needed to list all the serial numbers for the appliances, stereo, speakers, etc.

I did have a desktop computer in the trailer. At that time only new, unused computers could be imported. I had put the computer in the original boxes and declared it as new. It was the only thing I had to pay import duty on. Since the computer was a couple of years old, I could not show them the original receipt for it. I told them I had lost it. They took my word for it when I truthfully told them how much I had paid for it.

Telling them that the computer was new and had never been started was not lying. It is known as “flexible ethics.’

This was done several years before online car permits were issued. The permit for the trailer was written by hand in ink on the back of the temporary import permit for the car, no separate permit for the trailer was issued.

I have no idea of how it is done today when towing a trailer across the border, of if it can be done with a temporary import permit issued online. It is something you should verify though.

The Mexican insurance policy that I bought online at that time did not automatically cover the trailer. I had to notify the insurance company that I would be towing it. I don’t remember if I needed to pay an additional premium for the trailer or not. I suggest that you ask the insurance company that you will use if your trailer will be covered.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

runklesg

May 29, 2007, 1:42 PM

Post #3 of 18 (15719 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] US to Mexico Border Crossing

Thanks Rex - helpful info. Do you know if a laptop can be brought across the border? Since my desktop is getting old, maybe I should buy a laptop. I thought about buying one in Mexico, but I'm not sure about the language it would be set up on.

Rolly

May 29, 2007, 1:46 PM

Post #4 of 18 (15717 views)

Shortcut

Laptops are duty free. Buy it in the USA. You can buy one in Mexico and have it setup in English, but it will cost about 40% more than in the USA. Also the selection is more limited.

Rolly Pirate

Camille

May 29, 2007, 2:07 PM

Post #5 of 18 (15711 views)

Shortcut

You DEFINITELY want to cross at Colombia!

bournemouth

May 29, 2007, 2:15 PM

Post #6 of 18 (15708 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] US to Mexico Border Crossing

I think the OP is talking about Columbus, New Mexico.

Papirex

May 29, 2007, 5:00 PM

Post #7 of 18 (15693 views)

Shortcut

Rolly is right one laptop per person and its peripherals are duty free as long as you carry it with you. I carried a laptop and a portable printer back and forth across the border several times, duty free.

I have since that time bought another laptop in the US and had it shipped to me in México using the Merkalink shipping service. http://www.merkalink.com.mx/Ingles/Index.html

Anything you have shipped to you by Merkalink must be accompanied with an invoice. Merkalink uses a customs broker who will determine the amount of any duty to be paid. I had to pay 17% of the cost of of the laptop that I had shipped to me here. That is a little expensive, but still cheaper than buying a laptop in México.

The only company that I am sure of that will sell computers in English here is Dell. There may be others, but Dell is the only one I am sure of. If you buy a Dell computer here, it will be considerably higher priced here than the same computer bought in The US.

Merkalink will send you an Email to inform you of the amount of any duty to be paid, and the amount of the shipping charges to send the package to you at your Mexican address before they ship the items to you from their office in Laredo, Texas. If you don’t want to pay those charges, you will need to pay the shipping charges back to the point of origination for the items.

Merkalink ships items in México via Estafeta, a very reliable Mexican shipping company.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on May 29, 2007, 5:06 PM)

Camille

May 29, 2007, 8:10 PM

Post #8 of 18 (15669 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] US to Mexico Border Crossing

Yes of course! My geographical abilities would fit under my little fingernail...... but Colombia still beats the pants off Laredo!

runklesg

May 30, 2007, 7:50 AM

Post #9 of 18 (15633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] US to Mexico Border Crossing

Thanks Rolly, as always, your information is impeccable. I visit your website frequently and I am never disappointed.

runklesg

May 30, 2007, 7:54 AM

Post #10 of 18 (15632 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Rex C, Camille, Bournemouth and Rolly. I am always relieved to find up-to-date information as so much I have read in books on Mexico is outdated.

rovingmx

Jun 19, 2007, 4:19 PM

Post #11 of 18 (15548 views)

Shortcut

Easiest and most convenient border crossing, when traveling south on I-25, is to continue south of Las Cruces on I 10 to Exit 8 and take the well-marked very wide new highway to Santa Teresa (US side) Jeronimo (Mx side). You bypass El Paso and Juarez and the border facilities are fairly new and very functional and not busy or crowded. I assume that you are going further south rather than going to the west coast and down 15. If you want to get to 15 your best crossing is at Agua Prieta/Douglas, AZ. If you indeed are going south from "El Paso" then you have great roads all the way down. If you want to add a bit of scenery to your trip go to Durango and then on to Mazatlan and then south to Tepic on 15. The Devil's Backbone is actually a nice drive in a car and we enjoyed it. The road is very good, but very winding for 60 miles, more or less, with some slow truck traffic, but the rest of the 100 miles is an easy drive. And Durango is a great city to visit, with lots to see and plenty of good places to eat. I did this trip 3 weeks ago. For more info drop me a PM.

RickS

Jun 20, 2007, 7:07 PM

Post #12 of 18 (15504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rovingmx] US to Mexico Border Crossing

An "overlooked" border crossing if coming south on I25, or anywhere in west Texas, is Presidio Tx/ Ojinaga Mx. Coming from Denver I cut off of I25 up in northern NM around Las Vegas and take great, fast roads down to Carlsbad. From there one has two routes that end up down in the Big Bend country of Texas at Marfa. 60 miles farther down is Presidio, a small, clean Texas border town with several good motels, banks and restaurants.

The border crossing is simple, friendly and fast; everything is in one building. I've used it 3 times now since 2003 and never spend more than 15-20 minutes including getting the car import sticker. There has never been a crowd and the first time I crossed 4 days before Christmas! You head south out of Ojinaga on a good straight-as-an arrow 2-lane road with no traffic (and no tolls) for 200 miles, connecting with the toll road around Jimenez. If one doesn't like 2-lane roads, there is a new toll road (not on any maps) just south of Ojinaga going over to Chihuahua City where you connect with the toll road going south there.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jun 20, 2007, 7:09 PM)

grammaz

Aug 6, 2007, 7:31 AM

Post #13 of 18 (15366 views)

Shortcut

We will be driving into Mexico this January from San Antonio area to PV. This is our first time driving into Mexico. Can anyone suggest the best and safest route and crossing for us to take? We anticipate taking three days to get to PV. Our thought at the moment is to drive across to Mazatlan and take I15 down to PV. We would like to stay on the better highways if possible. Where would you suggest stopping for the night? Any hotel suggestions? Our first thought is to cross at Laredo as it seems to be the most convenient to San Antonio. Any reason why we shouldn't do that. Are there other border crossings that might be quicker, easier and/or more convenient. We are driving a car and will be in PV for six weeks. Thanks for all your help.

whistler

Aug 6, 2007, 7:42 AM

Post #14 of 18 (15361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sos99] US to Mexico Border Crossing

I will be bringing a laptop for a friend from San Antonio to Morelia, by vehicle with trailer later this month on a FMT tourist visa. I also want to take my small older Shuttle computer - it is the box shaped, small 8 inches by 8 inches by a foot deep.

Can I pay duty on the small computer as a used computer, and declare it with a value of around $500, paying around 15%? Or am I better off taking on a later trip, by plane, and calling it a laptap if stopped?

donemry

Aug 6, 2007, 7:45 AM

Post #15 of 18 (15360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sos99] US to Mexico Border Crossing

We drive to PV twice a year from Tennesse so we pass thorugh South Texas each time. The best border crossing in that area is the Colombia crossing about 25 miles north of Laredo. We then proceed on the toll roads past Monterrey down to San Luis Potosi, Lagos de Moreneo, Guadalajara and on to PV.

The route over to Matzatlan is through the mounains, and not baby ones. It is a nice trip for sights, but an arduous drive from Durango to Matzatlan.

It is just over 900 miles from the border to PV. We usually stay around Laredo and then stop in Lagos de Moreno at the Casa Grande on the way down. Coming back, we stay in San Luis Potosi.

whistler

Aug 6, 2007, 4:22 PM

Post #16 of 18 (15337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] US to Mexico Border Crossing

Is Colombia the best border crossing when your vehicle is heavily loaded with your belongings and you ate on an FMT tourist visa? For what reasons is it best?

(This post was edited by whistler on Aug 7, 2007, 7:21 AM)

jerezano

Aug 6, 2007, 8:38 PM

Post #17 of 18 (15319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] US to Mexico Border Crossing

Hello donemry,

You said:>>We drive to PV twice a year from Tennesse so we pass thorugh South Texas each time. The best border crossing in that area is the Colombia crossing about 25 miles north of Laredo<<

From Tennesse you would save at least a couple of hours if you cross at McAllen instead. I don't know about tolls or roads from Colombia to Monterrey, but from Reynosa there at McAllen to the Monterrey Periférico is all autopista at $199 pesos for a two axle vehicle. About 3-1/2 hours from McAllen tol Ramón Arizpe. After the Períferico you existing route is the same.

Into McAllen is US 77 down the coast and it is all good highway, mostly up to Interstate standards all the way so I have been told. I know that at least as far North as Corpus Christi it is.

Good luck. Adiós. jerezano

jerezano

Aug 6, 2007, 8:42 PM

Post #18 of 18 (15318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [whistler] US to Mexico Border Crossing

Hello whistler,

Suggest you search these posts here and other forums as well for Columbia and you will find an extended discussion of the Columbia crossing. I personally have never used it so no comment. But I have a vague feeling that some people were worried about 24 hour availability of migras and aduaneros.

Adiós. jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4