Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

martataps

May 27, 2007, 9:14 PM

Post #1 of 11 (16679 views)

Shortcut

Want to rent an apartment in PV

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi. I want to rent an apartment for 5 weeks (Dec/Jan) in Puerto Vallarta. Which forum(s) would be best to ask for advice on that. I know I have to act quickly because it is getting late in the year. My purpose is to live in Puerto Vallarta and immerse myself in the language and culture, not to be a tourist. Thanks,

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on May 27, 2007, 9:18 PM)

shoe

May 28, 2007, 4:30 AM

Post #2 of 11 (16665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [martataps] Want to rent an apartment in PV

Try this one, I have found them to be of help:

http://www.vallartascene.com/...rum/phpBB2/index.php

cya,
shoe

jerezano

May 28, 2007, 6:54 AM

Post #3 of 11 (16656 views)

Shortcut

Helllo martataps,

You said:>>My purpose is to live in Puerto Vallarta and immerse myself in the language and culture, not to be a tourist.<<<

If your real purpose is to live on a beautiful beach and enjoy a mild winter where you can swim almost every day, then go for it.

If your purpose is as you say. "to immerse....", forget it.
At least forget it in Puerto Vallarta.

For immersion there are many places better than PV. Mazatlán for example. Though even there, you would need to deliberately search for that immersion.

But, enjoy your winter, wherever you choose to live it.
Adiós. jerezano.

Camille

May 28, 2007, 9:15 PM

Post #4 of 11 (16628 views)

Shortcut

Sayulita and Rincon de Guayabitos are about an hour north of PV and both are much more interesting. Check out sayulitalife.com for rentals. Beaches are way cleaner, ambiance more authentic. Guayabitos is a real Mexican beach experience.

martataps

May 29, 2007, 8:18 AM

Post #5 of 11 (16610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Want to rent an apartment in PV

Thanks to all of you who have responded. Camille and Jerezano, you both suggested alternate places. Let me share with you my thinking. I know PV is a tourist town, but so is Mazatlán. Would it really be any different? I have been to PV as a tourist several times and I am familiar with it and know how to get around. I have always stayed in Nuevo Vallarta because the beaches are much nicer, but have spent a great amount of time out and about in town. I will be there alone, and want to go to place where I feel comfortable. Also, I have a few friends in Bucerias so if I really need a friendly face and some serious English conversation, I know where to go. I'm going in December for a specific reason--I want to be there for the celebrations for La Virgen de Guadalupe, and all the Christmas celebrations. The cathedral in PV seems to be a focal point for the Guadalupe celebration. I have never had problems finding folks to practice spanish with when I've been in town, but my fear about staying in Bucerias, Sayulita or Guayabitos is that it will be too easy to hang with the Canadians and Americans who go there. When I'm on vacation I have a great time with those folks, but I speak only English with them. I will probably walk along the beach every day, but I don't plan to spend much time sunbathing or swimming while I'm there. I imagine that my day will involve a daily stroll to and along the beach, a trip to the market for my food for the day, a stop at a local coffee shop for a break and to read the local paper (in Spanish), an occasional trip to the lavandería, and lots of exploring the town. I will probably take a few bus trips--to Talpa and Mascota, Guayabitos, Sayulita, as well as some other places I haven't figured out yet. I spent a short time in La Pineta last year and might return there. I will also look for a place where I can volunteer, preferably a local school, since I have volunteered at home in the elementary schools for years. I plan to speak only Spanish, unless words fail me completely.

So, does this plan seem unrealistic? Anyone else out there have suggestions?

Camille

May 29, 2007, 2:17 PM

Post #6 of 11 (16595 views)

Shortcut

Makes sense to me now that I understand your preferences. You might find something posted on Vallartascene.com that would be of interest. Que le vaya bien!

Jerrie and Nelson

Oct 6, 2007, 8:16 PM

Post #7 of 11 (16421 views)

Shortcut

Just thought I would share our brief experience with you as we have now been in Mazatlan for 1 month with the same goals as yours. We have also visited PV on a few occassions. We plan to stay her in Maz for 6 months and then head for PV. We can get our emersion here. We live in the Historic Centro area where we are the minority. We can get as much emersion or tourist acivities as we choose. The main point being that emersion is available here. It's very safe and everyone is very helpful and friendly. Apts are available from cheap to expensive depending on your wishes. Another website is Mazinfo. Good luck.

sioux4noff

Oct 10, 2007, 8:26 PM

Post #8 of 11 (16369 views)

Shortcut

We live in Bucerias. You are right about it being easy to hang around only with other English speaking folks. But if you wanted to, you could stick more to the places away from the beach.
Puerto Vallarta will be fine for what you want. This place sounds good http://www.primerooasisjasmine.com/ and the price is good.
I think I would find Sayulita and Rincon too small, but that's just my opinion.

raferguson

Oct 12, 2007, 3:11 PM

Post #9 of 11 (16336 views)

Shortcut

I know that people like the beach, but for real immersion in language and culture, I would suggest Guanajuato or Zacatecas. (Or 100 other inland cities). If you must go to the beach, Veracruz city did not have many Americans when we were there. I certainly can recommend those three cities as great places, all with real history and culture, and few Americans. Zacatecas may be too cold in the winter, Guanajuato should be OK, as long as your place has heat, but Veracruz should be nice in the winter.

I would argue that if there are more than perhaps 500 native English speakers in the town, it will be too easy to hang out with them, defeating the goal of immersion. Go somewhere with few English speakers and take classes.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

leegleze

Oct 1, 2008, 10:24 AM

Post #10 of 11 (16183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Want to rent an apartment in PV

Just for day-trips from PV, and for Spanish immersion, I would definitely suggest San Sebastian del Oeste, on the way to Mascota and Talpa. It has a micro-climate where there are more than 140 plant species found nowhere else in the world! Be sure to buy some coffee from the little plantation there. It's to die for!
~ Roxana in Bucerias ~

jerezano

Oct 2, 2008, 2:58 PM

Post #11 of 11 (16151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [leegleze] Want to rent an apartment in PV

Hello,

San Sebastian is an experience--on weekends when the tour avionetas from Puerto Vallarta arrive. They show up Saturday morning and leave early Sunday afternoon. During that time the little town (a mining ghost town) more or less explodes with entertainment, tianguis etc. The rest of the week, you will be reduced to hiking, reading, and snoozing. Weekends are also crowded because of coast dwellers who have week-end country homes there. Saturday night lodging can be hard to find.

Be warned. The elevation is high and the climate can be sharply cold expecially in winter. Yes, the coffee is good. The local mescal has a stronger kick.

jerezano.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4