Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

guy

Nov 16, 2001, 2:54 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1229 views)

Shortcut

Why own a car in Mexico?

Can't Post |
Why do people bring cars to Mexico? I have lived in Mexico 2 years and have never understood why people bring cars. Local buses are 3 pesos and will get you anywhere in the city you want to go. I just returned from a trip from Maz down the pacific coast to Guatamala and back thru the colonial cities and traveled on the best autobuses available in complete comfort, and not have to worry about parking, and with tarjeta de insen I got my 50% discount. I came to Mexico to get rid of responsibility, not to bring it with me.

David Eidell

Nov 16, 2001, 3:02 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1229 views)

Shortcut

Why own a car in Mexico?

Can't Post |
While it is very true that Mexico has a lot of buses and taxis, I have found it inconvenient to pay sixty five dollars each time I wanted to visit an adjacent (15 mi.) beach area by taxi (no bus service). I also have found that when the local buses stop service after dusk I had better be home or be prepared to walk thirty seven miles.<p>Mexico is full of places that I'd love to stay but have no bus service. I have found that lugging 300 pounds of camping gear can be a chore.<p>Perhaps a combination of bus, taxi and private auto offers the greatest flexability.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

Ernie Gorrie

Nov 16, 2001, 6:29 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1226 views)

Shortcut

Why own a car in Mexico?

Can't Post |
Much of Mexico has struck me as being pretty friendly for those without vehicles. On the other hand, I recently did the temporary importation of my pickup truck.<p>If I lived in Zihuatanejo (the nearest town), I may not want to have a vehicle, especially if I were renting accommodation or only in town for a brief stay. But our house is about 40 km. north of Zihuatanejo.<p>To get to Zihuatanejo by bus requires waiting for a VW combi for a 3.7 km. ride, then waiting for the van for the 3.6 km. ride to the highway, followed by waiting for the minibus for the 30 km. ride into town. I've never done the trip, but I'm guessing it would take a couple of hours each way.<p>Any trip would take the better part of a day. That means that every time I have to go to migracion (eight separate trips in each of 2000 and 2001) would take a day. Every time I wanted to buy groceries would be a day. Meeting friends at the airport would be another day.<p>Then there is the matter of getting a week's worth of groceries home on the buses while keeping the fish and chicken from going bad during the trip.<p>Then there is the matter of picking up the pots for plants in the yard, getting the conduit and cable out to the house for the electrician to make improvements and borrowing the three meter ladder from a friend whose house is about 3 km. away.<p>There's lots to be said for not having a vehicle in an urban area in Mexico. And I don't think I would want to have a vehicle if I had to get around much in downtown Mexico City.<p>But there is also a lot to be said for having a vehicle outside of the urbanized areas.

jennifer rose

Nov 16, 2001, 11:40 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1230 views)

Shortcut

Why own a car in Mexico?

Can't Post |
Foreigners drive cars in Mexico for all the same reasons that Mexicans do…and for all the same reasons that Ernie and David recited. <p>You may find it surprising to learn that all expatriates don’t live in the same city. We’re scattered all over the Republic, which is as varied as Canada or the US. In fact, there is more than one city in the entire Republic. Some of us even live far beyond cities. Not all of us are even old enough to get an Insen card.<p>Public transportation is nice, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I happen to enjoy the freedom and privacy that only my own set of wheels offer. My Dobermans are seldom welcome in public transport. There are those of us independent souls, who like to go where we want, when we want, and if those freedoms entail responsibility, it’s our burden.<p>Matter o’ fact, many of us do not come to Mexico to evade responsibility.

Esteban

Nov 19, 2001, 4:34 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1227 views)

Shortcut

Why own a car in Mexico?

Can't Post |
I own a 76 VW Mexico plated Safari. I can't get to all my favorite surfing spots at daybreak with the bus and a taxi would be cost prohibitive. I also like to go surf fishing off deserted beaches accessible via dirt roads...there again..no public transportation. Plus, my car has no windows and is lots of fun to drive around with friends who come for short visits. It's also very convenient to go shopping for grocercies. I shop for bread at one store, fish at the central market, some stuff at Ley's supermarket and other stuff at Sams club. With a taxi, that'll cost ya way too much. I still use the bus system for some stuff and taxi's too. It all depends on what I'm doing. Fixing the VW is cheap and it looks so funky, no one bothers to steal anything. I could definitely live here in Mazatlan without it but I chose to pay for it because the trade off in cash and responsibility is far less than the enjoyment and convenience.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4