Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Tom Hanke

Sep 9, 2002, 6:28 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2074 views)

Shortcut

Puebla Mexico

Can't Post |
I am currently doing a research project in Venezuela and it looks like I will be doing a similar project in the Puebla, Mexico area. Does anyone have comments on living in the Puebla area? Is it relatively safe as compared to the US? Venezuela is so dangerous that it is imposible for my wife to visit me without being in excessive danger.

sermextr

Sep 10, 2002, 9:15 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2069 views)

Shortcut

Puebla Mexico

Can't Post |
I've visited Puebla and its surroundings a number of times and never ran into a risky situation or heard that it was especially dangerous. Like anywhere, you have to take reasonable precautions. The local people fortify their homes against intruders, but that is true for everywhere in Mexico. You never can discount the possibility that some determined criminal could cause you harm even if you do everything right, but with reasonable precautions you can be as safe in Puebla as in any comparable place in Europe or North America.<p>Puebla is an interesting place, attractive in its own way, with all the city amenities and great day trips. The people are famous for their graciousness, although they also are famous for their conservatism. The towns around Puebla seem to be prosperous enough. The only complaint I have is about the damn speed bumps.<p>: I am currently doing a research project in Venezuela and it looks like I will be doing a similar project in the Puebla, Mexico area. Does anyone have comments on living in the Puebla area? Is it relatively safe as compared to the US? Venezuela is so dangerous that it is imposible for my wife to visit me without being in excessive danger.<p>

sermextr

Sep 10, 2002, 9:20 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2067 views)

Shortcut

Puebla Mexico

Can't Post |
By the way, there are some notes on the history of Puebla and Cholula at the link below.

Richard Ferguson

Sep 11, 2002, 9:09 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2070 views)

Shortcut

Puebla Mexico - Security

Can't Post |
I think that you will find Puebla safer than most of Venezuela, based on what I hear about Venezuela. Hard to say if it is safer or more dangerous than the US. Puebla is a nice town, we enjoyed it. I believe it was written up in this month's issues of Mexconnect.<p>The most recent victim of crime survey, referenced below, showed Puebla in the lower half of Mexican states in terms of crime rate, and about in the middle in terms of perception of security. The point is that Puebla is safer than Mexico DF, or other states that have well known and well publicized crime problems.<p>http://www.icesi.org.mx/<p>Richard<p>
: I am currently doing a research project in Venezuela and it looks like I will be doing a similar project in the Puebla, Mexico area. Does anyone have comments on living in the Puebla area? Is it relatively safe as compared to the US? Venezuela is so dangerous that it is imposible for my wife to visit me without being in excessive danger.

Anna

Sep 12, 2002, 7:36 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2066 views)

Shortcut

Puebla Mexico

Can't Post |
Venezuela is going through a govermental fiasco and that is why is dangerous. Mexico,specially Puebla cannot and should not be compare to Venezuela, Colombia etc

phl jackson

Sep 15, 2002, 7:08 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2067 views)

Shortcut

Puebla Mexico

Can't Post |
Having spent time in both venezuela and in Puebla...and indeed in Detroit, Chicago and NYC. I can safely say that Puebla is safer and more relaxed than most US cities of the same size. It is a beautiful city often overlooked by many North American travellers. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. <p>As with anywhere it depends where you are living and basic common sense - but I'd have no qualms re-locating there and I have two little kids. <p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>
I am currently doing a research project in Venezuela and it looks like I will be doing a similar project in the Puebla, Mexico area. Does anyone have comments on living in the Puebla area? Is it relatively safe as compared to the US? Venezuela is so dangerous that it is imposible for my wife to visit me without being in excessive danger.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4