Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

jennifer rose

May 6, 2007, 7:39 PM

Post #1 of 11 (5519 views)

Shortcut

Sanmiguelada

Can't Post |
The city fathers and the powers that be weren't happy with the way last year's Sanmiguelada turned out, and there's talk about how it might be changed. Do you think the venue should be changed? What $.02 do you have to contribute to making Sanmiguelada a better experience for everyone?

Anonimo

May 7, 2007, 3:27 AM

Post #2 of 11 (5497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Sanmiguelada

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have nothing to offer, as I don't really know what a "Sanmiguelada" is.
Does it have something to do with cerveza served over ice?

Saludos,
Anonimo

bournemouth

May 7, 2007, 6:25 AM

Post #3 of 11 (5485 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Sanmiguelada

Tsk, tsk Anonimo - Google! Google!!

Gringal

May 7, 2007, 7:33 AM

Post #4 of 11 (5478 views)

Shortcut

The Sanmiguelada, for curious minds, is an annual event sponsored, I believe, by the local bullfighting club and conducted in the middle of town around the Jardin and adjoining streets. Barriers are erected to protect the spectators (and perhaps, the bulls). A couple of trucks bring the luckless bulls to the area to be released, one or two at a time. Around 50,000 participants (young guys with red scarves and lots of macho, mostly from the outlying areas) get into the act, teasing and chasing bulls. Some of them get hurt.

Although no liquor is allowed, theoretically, during the event, public and private drunkenness and all the antisocial results create a massive mess. Last year, there was a shooting. In fact, it was such a disaster that the powers that be made noises about the possibility of it being cancelled or moved to another venue.

We watched the action for awhile from the safety of a chair by the telly.
IMO, this event should take place far from the center of town, if at all.

caldwelld

May 8, 2007, 7:06 AM

Post #5 of 11 (5403 views)

Shortcut

The Sanmiguelada is one of the events that have defined San Miguel de Allende for 35 years. Pressure from goobers with water bottles, who increasingly dominate the local landscape here and at every opportunity try to convert this sleepy cow-town into something resembling Carmel, will guarantee a rough ride for this event in the future. Too bad! It brings this town alive. It is the biggest tourist event of the year when local bars and restaurants make the biggest bucks. It provides a great opportunity for young Mexican males to prove to their female promises that they have a level of testosterone worthy of them. It has a degree of disorganization that is quintessentially Mexican. People get hurt. Young people get drunk. Some throw up. Some pee in the street. Some even get pregnant.
Leave it to the goobers - it will slowly be moved out of town to a hermetically sealed playing field. The bulls will be dehorned and the participants will have to register a month in advance, take a drug test and be required to wear helmets. And the goobers can then continue to go about their lives in an nice orderly fashion unaware of the event passing, be safely in bed by ten and unafraid of stepping in anything unusual on their sidewalks the morning after when taking “peaches” for her morning constitutional. Progress!
dondon

Gringal

May 8, 2007, 9:04 AM

Post #6 of 11 (5389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Sanmiguelada

Things have changed since San Miguel was a "sleepy cow town". You can't go back.

San Miguel is defined by its history more than by this one-day event. The macho guys could prove their manhood in another location at the edge of town just as effectively, and the plain dirt would absorb their various droppings faster. Would you like the goobers better if they carried tequila bottles instead of water?

The only question about the event in question and the much larger numbers of both spectators and participants is how much is 'too much' and what to do about it. According to interviews with the merchants, it was getting to be "too much" this last time around. Same opinion from the city authorities. The massive cleanup had to come from city coffers, not from the pockets of the jubilados. 50,000 drunks make a bigger mess than 10,000.

So far, I'd say that the resemblance to Carmel is in the lack of parking.

Brian

May 8, 2007, 2:20 PM

Post #7 of 11 (5366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Sanmiguelada

As far as I am concerned, they can eliminate the festival or move it out of the city completely. As past vice-president of the Biblioteca Publica, I was chagrined at the fact that, historically, rather than the public being able to use the facility as a refuge from the madness in the Jardin, the library doors were closed entirely and the staff given the day off with pay. The argument was that the library's bathrooms were inundated with drunk young people using the facilities. My argument to increase security and even charge for the use of the bathrooms on that day failed for lack of a quorum. Better that young people and their families as well as retired ex-pats and tourists at least have the option to avoid the event if they choose to do so. What better place to do so than the Library......

Brian

Gringal

May 8, 2007, 2:38 PM

Post #8 of 11 (5363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Sanmiguelada

I understand why you thought the library should be open as a refuge, but I also undestand the thinking of those who wanted it closed. Good points both ways.

It's hard for me to see why anyone would want to be anywhere near downtown while this event is going on. There may be some who didn't realize it and were there by accident.

The television coverage was good, and a much better way to see it than anywhere in the Jardin being smooshed by the crowd while craning for a glimpse of the action. I went to the Jardin a few days later, and some of the fixtures like iron waste containers, light poles and benches had been badly damaged because of people climbing on them for a better view. It was pretty hard on the trees, too.

I'm with you, Brian. Move it elsewhere.

donnameyer

May 9, 2007, 1:13 PM

Post #9 of 11 (5309 views)

Shortcut

I'm reminded of something Warren Hardy said to me several years ago. He and his wife, Tule, decided to participate in the Sanmiguelada -- it was a lot smaller then -- and went to the Jardín. At one point they were both backed up against one of the pillars in front of Banamex staring down a bull. Warren said he glanced over at Tule and said, "This isn't fun. This is stupid!"

Pretty much defines it for me.

The whole event reminds me of St. Patrick's Day when I used to live in New York City. It brings out all the amateur drunks and weekend fools.

That said, I think it should be up to the city fathers and the business people to decide whether to move it out of town. I don't have the right to make that decision for them.
Donna
http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-allende.com
Click on "Best SMA Restaurants" to post your own restaurant reviews and recommendations.

jennifer rose

May 24, 2007, 6:34 AM

Post #10 of 11 (5226 views)

Shortcut

Sanmiguelada -- No Bulls

Can't Post |
SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE, Gto. - The city council has canceled the 34th annual Sanmiguelada (running of the bulls) to prevent a repeat of last year´s event that a former mayor said turned the Historic District into a "big cantina."

Read on. http://www.mexiconews.com.mx/miami/24743.html

wmhwilson

Jun 17, 2007, 9:52 AM

Post #11 of 11 (5129 views)

Shortcut

I am glad it cancelled.
Last visit to SMA spoke to folks at the fire station and emergency services folks and they have a rough time dealing with all the people.
In Philadelphia, a few years ago there were suddenly Mardi Gras on South Street (a famous strolling area) and it was an excuse for folks to drink and act stupid.
It was an invented holiday for Philadelphia and some bar owners. The city now severly restricts what happens on the streets.
Bill and Jackie Wilson
Wallingford,PA

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4