Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

JohnnyBoy

May 3, 2007, 12:46 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1940 views)

Shortcut

SSA Assistance at US Consulate in Hermosillo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone happen to know, or better, has anyone had direct experience with the US Consulate in Hermosillo getting assistance with Social Security problems? Do they even get into that sort of thing on behalf of US citizens?

I left a big mess behind in the US with my application for SSA retirement benefits when I moved to Hermosillo. I have been trying since December 2006 to get it resolved. Now I am in Mexico and have no way to communicate with SSA.

Any information would be appreciated.

jb

thriftqueen

May 3, 2007, 3:43 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1929 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] SSA Assistance at US Consulate in Hermosillo

John, try this number in Hermosillo, it's a consulate number and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. They are very helpful. 662-289-3500

Papirex

May 3, 2007, 4:28 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1926 views)

Shortcut

John. I just checked The SSA site at: http://www.ssa.gov/login.htm I have copied and pasted the only three locations they list for México below. They may be able to help you via telephone or fax, but it might be closer for you in Hermosillo to drive up to an office in Arizona to solve your problem.

Good luck, Rex

MEXICO
The office below that
is nearest to you:

Federal Benefits Unit
American Consulate General
Chihuahua
Avenue Lopez Mateos 924 Norte
32000 Ciudad Juarez
Mexico
phone: 52-656-613-1512
fax: 52-656-613-4698

Federal Benefits Unit
American Consulate General
Progreso 175
44100 Guadalajara, Jalisco
Mexico
phone: 52-33-3268-2139
fax: 52-33-3825-7942

Federal Benefits Unit
American Embassy
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500 Mexico D. F.
Mexico
phone: 52-55-5080-2900
fax: 52-55-5080-2171

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on May 3, 2007, 4:32 PM)

MazDee

May 3, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1913 views)

Shortcut

John, have you tried calling the 800 no in US for help? Perhaps your problem is too complicated for a phone call, but I had a small problem once and was amazed at how easily it was taken care of. I expected to wait a long time even to get to an agent, but my call was taken right away, I talked to a rep who told me exactly what to do, and that was that. You also could try to go to their online site and explain your problem, but I suppose you already have done that. I have a friend in Patzcuaro who had a problem once, and was dealing with someone in DF, and she said it was a horror story. Took months to straighten out her problem. Have no knowledge of Hermosillo, even though it is the closest consulate to Maz.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

May 3, 2007, 8:39 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1907 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] SSA Assistance at US Consulate in Hermosillo

I've been under the impression that the consulate doesn't handle those type of problems. I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. A visit to the SS office in Tucson would seem to be in order.
Getting older and still not down here.

MazDee

May 3, 2007, 9:08 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] SSA Assistance at US Consulate in Hermosillo

Ron, they do have a presence in some Consulates, as Rex posted. The one in Guad may be closest to Hermosillo. But who knows, maybe there is a nice person at the Hermosillo office that would help our friend communicate with Guad.

esperanza

May 4, 2007, 5:16 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1894 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] SSA Assistance at US Consulate in Hermosillo

In Reply To
John, have you tried calling the 800 no in US for help? Perhaps your problem is too complicated for a phone call, but I had a small problem once and was amazed at how easily it was taken care of. I expected to wait a long time even to get to an agent, but my call was taken right away, I talked to a rep who told me exactly what to do, and that was that.

I can vouch for calling the 800 number in the States to iron out a problem. I used my VoIP connection, called the 800 number from Guadalajara, and was connected with a SSA rep in no time. She was extremely efficient, saw immediately how to fix the problem, and took care of it. I was very impressed--compared to most US government agencies, the SSA is client-friendly and willing to go the extra mile.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4