Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Lee

Nov 26, 2001, 3:26 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3358 views)

Shortcut

Border Crossing--Inspections/Import Duties

Can't Post |
Can someone help me out with current information about the $$ value limit on various types of goods brought into Mexico? We are driving across in December and will be traveling on tourist visas. We will be bringing a couple of small appliances and a computer printer, in addition to our laptop computer and the usual stuff--paperback books, clothes, personal items, etc. Are items packed in original boxes (even if not new) a "red flag" for customs inspectors? Are the inspections more common and thorough these days, or is is pretty much "business as usual"? Thanks.

Rolly

Nov 26, 2001, 5:31 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3356 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You are probably OK with what you have listed. The personal items, laptop, books, etc are all free. In addition you are allowed up to US$50 in other stuff. I don't know if original boxes are a red flag, but I never risk it. I even take new things out of the box.<p>Explore the link below for more detailed info.

Madison

Dec 19, 2001, 3:08 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3353 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I travel with a 30' camper trailer and pickup truck-ave traveled alone (female 43yo)
computer, lots of cd's etc. Best to remove it from original boxes- it really depends on the
agent who is checking you out. I have never had but one year them go into my
camper and I think it was curiosity!!! Don't leave the stuff in plain sight etc.
Don't ask, but tell if asked and wait for response before you start volunteering things.
Generally they are great and nice.<p><p>: You are probably OK with what you have listed. The personal items, laptop, books, etc are all free. In addition you are allowed up to US$50 in other stuff. I don't know if original boxes are a red flag, but I never risk it. I even take new things out of the box.<p>: Explore the link below for more detailed info.<p>

Wayne

Oct 12, 2002, 8:25 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3356 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
What a can of worms. Last year this time I crossed
at Nogales and tried to declare a used 17 inch computer
monitor I had purchased for $65. and I had a reciept.
I went to the office and the girl behind the desk went
back outside to talk to the inspector. The answer was
it was not legal to take in a used Monitor, only new.
I would have to take it back. I protested and was told
by a different inspector that it was okay and there would
be no duty. He instructed me that I had to back my camper
back out of the parking spaces and go through the red/green
light system. I was stopped because of the strangeness
of backing up and the inspector looked inside and I tried
to explain which inspector told me the monitor was okay.
The inspector looked too tired to have me unpack and get
inspected so I was passed through. I think the next time
I would not declare anything and take my chances on having to
pay duty or have the monitor confiscated. I can't believe
import laws are so unknown and so differently interpreted.<p>: Can someone help me out with current information about the $$ value limit on various types of goods brought into Mexico? We are driving across in December and will be traveling on tourist visas. We will be bringing a couple of small appliances and a computer printer, in addition to our laptop computer and the usual stuff--paperback books, clothes, personal items, etc. Are items packed in original boxes (even if not new) a "red flag" for customs inspectors? Are the inspections more common and thorough these days, or is is pretty much "business as usual"? Thanks.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4