Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Anonimo

Apr 28, 2007, 5:35 PM

Post #1 of 17 (2960 views)

Shortcut

Plague of Flies

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola,
For about a month now, we've been plagued by flies. They swarm outside our screened windows and make sitting on the porch unpleasant. We are looking for quick solutions, preferably solutions that won't poison animals other than flies, and that don't involve bug zappers, which, IMO are ugly and probably consume a lot of electricity.

We are hoping that the flies are just a seasonal event, but meanwhile, they are very unpleasant. Any practical suggestions would be welcomed. Recently, there are a lot of cows grazing behind our back wall, and they may be what's attracting the flies. I hope not, because the cows cannot be eliminated.

Saludos,
Anonimo

jennifer rose

Apr 28, 2007, 5:52 PM

Post #2 of 17 (2950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Plague of Flies

Can't Post |
Fly spray.

Fill plastic bags with vinegar, and suspend them in strategic places.

Cut limes in half, stud them with cloves, and place on a plate.

The bug zappers are rather cool to watch in action.

Septiembre

Apr 28, 2007, 6:55 PM

Post #3 of 17 (2942 views)

Shortcut

Yup, cows and flies definitely go together. Put your first line of defense between you and the cows.

Papirex

Apr 28, 2007, 7:27 PM

Post #4 of 17 (2933 views)

Shortcut

The clear plastic bags filled with vinegar that Jennifer mentioned are often seen hanging at outdoor food stands. I have never noticed any flies around the places that have them hanging. My wife and suegra swear that they work; they are a tried and true method of repelling flies here.

Of course, there are other methods. I read in a newspaper a few years ago about a guy that had a fly or bee on the ceiling of his living room. He had just seen a movie in which the hero had used a spray can and a cigarette lighter as a flamethrower. He decided that would be an easy way to get rid of the insect. It worked; he killed the bug.

He also burned his house down Frown

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Apr 28, 2007, 7:30 PM)

sfmacaws

Apr 28, 2007, 8:25 PM

Post #5 of 17 (2912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Plague of Flies

Ah ha! They must have only gotten part of the instructions over in the Yucatan. Lots of food stalls have the plastic bags hanging but they have only water in them, the flies ignore them. I think I'm going to tell the woman at my favorite economico that it is supposed to be vinegar. Yeah right! She once told me that the water confused their many eyes and made them dizzy so they left, this is while there were at least a dozen buzzing my plate.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Anonimo

Apr 29, 2007, 6:52 AM

Post #6 of 17 (2873 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Septiembre] Plague of Flies

This wall http://picasaweb.google.com/...#5040359991493537730 is between us and the cows.
I'm filling some bags with vinegar next. Now to find where to hang them.
Thanks.

Maybe I could hang some on the cows...

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Apr 29, 2007, 7:51 AM)

Bubba

Apr 29, 2007, 7:17 AM

Post #7 of 17 (2867 views)

Shortcut

Having first visited Mexico in the 1960s, I am amazed at how few flies I see here in Jalisco or in Chiapas compared to those days when flies used to literally cover the rancid meat hanging in municipal markets and were real, filthy and ubiquitous pests. In Chiapas, at 7,000 feet, we also have very few cockroaches and, in fact, I´ve never seen one down there as opposed to Ajijic where we had a plague of kitchen roaches that took us months to erradicate. We finally got rid of them with the boric acid treats we learned about on these forums. Those kitchen roaches came into our home with our housekeeper who brought them into her home riding inside a radio her sister loaned her.

I am also amazed that, in six years here I have only spotted four scorpions and no snakes despite the fact that we walk a rural beach all the time. We have never seen the dreadful biting flies down here at our swimming pool and they were a plague in California along with rattlers, blue jays and yellow jackets that used to make eating outside in the summer impossible up there. I have, however, been stung a couple of times by those large brown wasps who seasonally fly about our garden in an irritable mood looking for nesting places in our rock walls. Those are nasty creatures.

Now that I think about it, the garden and beach creatures here are no problems compared to California and Alabama which had enormous numbers of unpleasant creepy crawlies that could make life miserable in the summer. Yellow jackets, wasps, fire ants, hornets, water moccasins, cottonmouth moccasins ,rattle snakes, alligators, scorpions, giant rats, brown recluse and black widow spiders and a whole bunch of other scary looking and poisonous giant spiders, attack jays, feral hogs, mountain lions, hungry bears and drunk Billy Bob redneck ole boys driving around in pickup trucks loaded with beer and guns and spoiling for a fight. Hell, I moved to Mexico for self-preservation.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 29, 2007, 7:34 AM)

Rolly

Apr 29, 2007, 7:43 AM

Post #8 of 17 (2856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Plague of Flies

Here in Lerdo we have almost no flies, no mosquitoes, no flying stinging things (wasps, bees, etc), and no fleas on the dogs, but we do have ticks and too damn many ants in the house.

Rolly Pirate

ignacio

Apr 29, 2007, 9:05 AM

Post #9 of 17 (2840 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Plague of Flies

I thought that arid area of Mexico is well known for the great number of scorpions, is that true?

Bubba

Apr 29, 2007, 9:30 AM

Post #10 of 17 (2833 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Plague of Flies

Jalisco is noted for its large scorpion population and I believe it has the largest annual incidence of scorpion stings among the population in all of Mexico. I have found out since moving to lake Chapala that one´s experience with scorpion infestations is largely a function of where one lives. We live in a house constructed in about 1971 and located in a dense urban zone adjacent to the lake. While we are only a few feet from the beach, crittures do not relish visiting our property and we have few problems in that regard. From what we are told, homeowners with homes in hillside devlopments can be plagued with scorpions especially if their houses have been built in natural scorpion migratory pathways. At least one person we know kills numerous scorpions every week in her house on the mountainside and has found them to be impossible to eradicate. Another friend who lives in a rural area along the lakeshore east of Chapala not only sees scorpions routinely but also sees the dreaded tiny white scorpion that is very rare but very poisonous. She also finds snakes and tarantulas frequently in her home or garden.

If you don´t like crittures and plan to move to Jalisco, I recommend you buy in a built up urban area.

Rolly

Apr 29, 2007, 10:57 AM

Post #11 of 17 (2817 views)

Shortcut

In my 7 years in Lerdo, I have seen one scorpion on my patio.

Rolly Pirate

Judy in Ags

Apr 30, 2007, 8:59 PM

Post #12 of 17 (2728 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Plague of Flies

In Aguascalientes, we have flies (in "reasonable" numbers) during the warm weather. We have very few right now, although it's getting warm. We do have mosquitoes, especially in the rainy season, probably due to the slow-moving water that runs through and sometimes stands in the arroyo behind our lot. We have a gazillion zacabuches (sp)--daddy long legs, but they are harmless. We have other spiders, but no bites so far. Ants are our worst plague as they attack the plants. We just seem to get rid of one kind and then along come a different type. No tarantulas or scorpions. A few snakes, but all harmless so far.

Bubba

May 1, 2007, 4:29 AM

Post #13 of 17 (2703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Plague of Flies

Now that I think about it, the garden and beach creatures here are no problems compared to California and Alabama which had enormous numbers of unpleasant creepy crawlies that could make life miserable in the summer. Yellow jackets, wasps, fire ants, hornets, water moccasins, cottonmouth moccasins ,rattle snakes, alligators, scorpions, giant rats, brown recluse and black widow spiders and a whole bunch of other scary looking and poisonous giant spiders, attack jays, feral hogs, mountain lions, hungry bears and drunk Billy Bob redneck ole boys driving around in pickup trucks loaded with beer and guns and spoiling for a fight. Hell, I moved to Mexico for self-preservation.

I forgot to mention the giant cockroaches that, along Mobile Bay, actually fly about the room and love to dive bomb humans and especially their hair while said humans repose in their beds at night. Thirty miles away across the Florida state line, they call them palmetto bugs but whatever you call them they are awesome and they own the place as they have for a trillion years . South Alabama also has those huge black grasshoppers with the red and yellow ornaments that get so big you don´t even want to squish them and mosquitos from hell to say nothing of myriad social workers and Southern Baptists swarming about looking to humble you for the sake of your everlasting well being.

I wonder how I survived that dreadful U.S. environment before escaping to relatively benign Mexico. I get a kick out of newbies worried about scary bugs in Mexico. Perhaps Rachel Carson had it wrong since they still use DDT down here.

Bloviator

May 2, 2007, 7:02 AM

Post #14 of 17 (2630 views)

Shortcut

We have seen a total of four scorpions in two years. Unfortunately, one of them was in our bed when my wife got in one night. It bit her two times.

From this we learned a valuable lesson. We have seen postings about all the medications to keep on hand for a scorpion bite and all the information as to what to do. I was feeling guilty about not getting all prepared for the event. However, I now have the ideal medication. We have car keys.

The clinic (open 24/7) is ten minutes - maximum - away from our house. We ust jumped in the car and were there immediately. They know just what to do, have up-to-date medication, and are fully qualified to deal with the situation. So for us, the clinic is the way to go - no effort to keep medicine on hand and self medicate (which we don't know how to do anyway).

ignacio

May 2, 2007, 7:47 AM

Post #15 of 17 (2622 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Plague of Flies

Someone said: "We have a gazillion zacabuches (sp)--daddy long legs.."

Some people in Mexico say that these 'daddy long legs' creatures cause scorpions to kill themselves....

they claim that as these spiders touch with the long legs the back of the scorpion, it immediately retaliates with its stinger, and since the legs of the spider are so thin, the scorpion ends up stabbing itself....

perhaps that is why there are no scorpions around ?

(This post was edited by ignacio on May 2, 2007, 7:50 AM)

bournemouth

May 2, 2007, 8:47 AM

Post #16 of 17 (2610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Plague of Flies

You've been lucky re the scorpions - we don't live that far apart and we've had 4 just recently. The cats seem to take care of the big ones - at least, we find them dead on the floor in the morning, but I don't like them to get to close to the little ones.

Judy in Ags

May 4, 2007, 9:22 PM

Post #17 of 17 (2524 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Plague of Flies

Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking. You may have stated, but if you have, I have forgotten.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4