Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

sparks

Apr 26, 2007, 6:50 PM

Post #1 of 9 (10299 views)

Shortcut

ciate, perame, quitate, orale

Can't Post | Private Reply
- ciate, perame, quitate, orale (correct spelling')

Living among a house full of young Mexican kids these are part of the endless stream of the older ones acting like parents to the younger ones. Usually much louder than when used by adults.

I guess it's a combination of growing up and the battle for dominance.

I don´t always get the importance/intention ... and I'm sure there are a few more. Anyone up on popular ORDERS and REQUESTS that can fill me in

Sparks Mexico - Sparks Costalegre

esperanza

Apr 26, 2007, 7:24 PM

Post #2 of 9 (10294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] ciate, perame, quitate, orale

In Reply To
ciate, perame, quitate, orale (correct spelling')

OK, here you go:

1. Probably cállate...shut up.
2. Espérame...wait
3. Quítate...get off (me, the couch, etc)
4. Órale...there you go, hurry up, etc.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

doogie

Apr 26, 2007, 7:35 PM

Post #3 of 9 (10292 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like you have your hands full, all right. 'perame is espérame (wait for me!),
quítate (get outta my way!), órale (OK!), ciate? I'm not sure about that one. Have fun!
Doogie,
Tapatío de corazón

sfmacaws

Apr 26, 2007, 10:53 PM

Post #4 of 9 (10283 views)

Shortcut

Re: [doogie] ciate, perame, quitate, orale

Órale is common pocho spanish in California and probably TX and AZ too. It is one of those sentence starters that can mean a lot or nothing. Mostly it means Hey! or Check this.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

quevedo

Apr 27, 2007, 6:43 AM

Post #5 of 9 (10274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [doogie] Siéntate

Can't Post |
ciate, ¿Siéntate?, Sit down?

Saludos,

Quevedo

sparks

Apr 27, 2007, 6:27 PM

Post #6 of 9 (10244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [doogie] ciate, perame, quitate, orale

When they are hitting each other and crying I translate that well. Just none of my schooling prepared me for slang or shortening of words. Never much in school about orders-commands - as if that was rude.

I find myself tuning a lot of it out rather than getting the exact meaning. They know how to make me understand when they want something. Kinda like grampa with a few extra pesos

wendy devlin

Apr 30, 2007, 7:29 AM

Post #7 of 9 (10215 views)

Shortcut

Sparks,

How do you say, "sugar-daddy" in Spanish? Ja!

I remember posting some time back, about how so many people where you are, shorten words and/or use slang.

In quickly spoken Spanish, the endings of many words sometimes, also, 'blend' into the next word, making my ear 'hear' what sounds like an entirely different word that if the two words were enunciated separately.

Might be the kind of Spanish, you are 'immersed' in.

Speaking as someone once 'immersed' in the same place.

Street spanish or 'ranchero' as some Mexicans described it. They hold speaking that way in low regard.

However that's another topic, how a person is 'judged' by how they speak and act.

jerezano

Apr 30, 2007, 9:32 AM

Post #8 of 9 (10206 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] ciate, perame, quitate, orale

Hello Sparks,

Everything is now clear except the .....ciate. So my question is, when you hear that, what is the reaction of the person to whom it is addressed? What does he/she do in response?

That reaction should give you the verb you are looking for. ....ciate is clearly the command form of some verb to a familiar (young child probably).

If you are hearing correctly it is obviously not the guesses already made of cállate (shut up or be quiet) or of siéntate (sit down) or any other verb which I can think of.

So, to get your answer you must watch for the response. And when you get the answer, please report it here.

¿sugar-daddy? ¡ja! ¡ja! as asked elsewhere. What's wrong with hombre rico, gringo tonto, or abuelito? Reminds me of a 90 year old man who had a novia of 15 who was milking him for everything she could. When people would disapprovingly tell him that he was being foolish, his reply was not so, that he was enjoying what was left of his life. In that case, hombre sabio. What his children were saying was an entirely different matter.

Adiós. jerezano.

sparks

Apr 30, 2007, 10:56 AM

Post #9 of 9 (10200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] ciate, perame, quitate, orale

Well it must have been something I thought I heard from the kids. Asking Mari gives no results so I guess it was my hearing or memory.

Suger daddy - cariñoso among many other things. The kids latest angle is - yesterday at the beach they came up to me all slurping paletas and asked for the money to pay for them. While forking over the 30 some pesos I informed them no beach visits for the month of May.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4