Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Silversard

Apr 25, 2007, 6:52 PM

Post #1 of 9 (6071 views)

Shortcut

Lodging in City of Veracruz or Boca del Rio

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are looking for a a place to stay for two or three days in either the city of Veracruz or Boca del Rio before traveling to Xalapa City. Can anybody recommend a modest hotel in Boca de Rio or perhaps a "B&B" type place? We will need it in late January of 2008. It would be nice to find our "anchor" so we could then think about the things we might do and see during our limited time. We are interested in "pensioner" prices instead of our previous mode of traveling as occasional tourists on vacation. We really don't spend much time in our hotel/B&B, so we are mainly interested places that are clean and in basicly safe areas.

Stephen (Silversard)

Visit Xalapa Yahoo Group

Visit Xalapa Photo Blog

Vivia Veracruz by John Calypso

NJ2VER

Apr 26, 2007, 6:50 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6027 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silversard] Lodging in City of Veracruz or Boca del Rio

The really cheap hotels are by the bus station. There are a few inexpensive high rises on the Malecon (waterfront). Royalty would be one. Meson del Mar another. Allmexicohotels.com is a helpful sight. The really horrible places are generally not on there.

Silversard

Apr 27, 2007, 4:24 PM

Post #3 of 9 (6001 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Lodging in City of Veracruz or Boca del Rio

Thanks for the response. I will check "Allmexicohotels.com" as you have suggested. Also, we will need to locate the bus station on a map. Anybody have an internet map of the city showing the first class bus station?

This is a response we received from Johnzap2 on another site --
"Stephen, I'll never pass a chance to plug Costa Sol; Filiberto is an ideal host. The social life in the public areas is delightful and welcoming. But it might be a little large, if I correctly guess your taste. There's a smaller place, closer to the International Trade Center, names Santa Ana. It looks interesting, posts good prices, and I'd really like to have a review of it. Of course, if you decide you're serious about a good beach and some coral to snorkel about, there's a place in near-by Anton Lizardo that'd be fun..." We are interested in snorkelling a lot and will have equipment with us. I don't know where we will use the mask, snorkel, etc. in Xalapa or Oaxaca City but we would be interested in something in "near-by Anton Lizardo" if someone has contact info.

Stephen (Silversard)

Visit Xalapa Yahoo Group

Visit Xalapa Photo Blog

Bubba

Apr 28, 2007, 5:35 PM

Post #4 of 9 (5975 views)

Shortcut

I wish to point out that Silversardīs recommended link, "Vivia (or Viva) Veracruz by John Calypso does not function correctly and does not accept new registrants who are accused of being spammers as was I. I personally donīt give a damn as I was simply trying to add some value to Johnīs network but Veracruz does not need John and neither do I. I gave John the benefit of the doubt (that his spam protecter was malfunctioning) but three attempts is sufficient. Adios!

Perro De Caza (Bubba)

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 28, 2007, 5:38 PM)

Silversard

Apr 30, 2007, 7:10 AM

Post #5 of 9 (5943 views)

Shortcut

Re: Lodging in City of Veracruz or Boca del Rio

Good morning,

The only link I have is -- http://www.vivaveracruz.com/forum/index.php

which appears to work. However, I don't know about the "spam" stuff. The sites I own or manage get a lot of spam and sometimes even exisiting member's posts are labeled as spam. I know everyone has been forced to moderate their sites because so much "off topic" stuff AND get rich quick schemes are being promoted.

On a postive note, as of Sunday my spouse and I became "pregnant" with anticipation because we are less than "nine months" out from landing in Mexico.

Stephen (Silversard)

Visit Xalapa Yahoo Group

Visit Xalapa Photo Blog

windknot

Jun 3, 2007, 7:53 AM

Post #6 of 9 (5851 views)

Shortcut

About the only place to snorkel from shore that I can remember, is in front of the Camino Real Hotel. There is an arrecife there, that is very close to shore. I think better access to this reef is a little north of the hotel. You want to bring dive boots, the kind with the hard rubber soles. There are TONS of sea urchins, and I've heard of a variety of stone fish, scorpion fish being present as well, but I have not been able to verify this yet.

I can't remember when you said you would be traveling, but during the rainy season, (which was just getting underway at the end of May this year) the nearshore waters get pretty muddy and dirty from the river outflow. Excellent snorkeling can be had on the outer arrecifes, and the water is clear all year.

windknot

Jul 30, 2007, 9:52 AM

Post #7 of 9 (5777 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Lodging in City of Veracruz or Boca del Rio

I just returned from Veracruz, and the Allmexicohotels.com site is WAYYYYY out of date....at least price-wise. I stayed in the Suites Invernadero, near the Wal Mart in Boca del Rio, and the fee was 12,278 pesos per month, which is up from 11,000 pesos in March. (It was 10,000 pesos in January)

It seems the hotels do not raise their rates at the beginning of the new year, the same as other businesses in Mexico....but rather before the onset of the "vacation" season, which is generally when the kids are out of school. I paid 5000 pesos for 8 nights' lodging there. The batteries just ran out on my calculator, or I'd do the math for you, but it's about $60 USD per night, for 2 BR's, a living room, and small kitchenette with fridge and 4-burner cooktop. You can buy a bag of ice on-premises for 12 pesos, and there is a same-day laundry service. The living rooms ARE NOT air conditioned, but the bedrooms are. There are TV's in the living room and in at least one of the bedrooms.

I think Costa Sol was 1100 pesos (and up) per night.....So if you compare these rates with Allmexicohotels, you will see there is (as of July1) quite a discrepancy.

Hopefully my house will be finished muy pronto! Saludos.

Silversard

Jul 30, 2007, 10:55 AM

Post #8 of 9 (5772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [windknot] Lodging in City of Veracruz or Boca del Rio

Rick,

Thank you for the specific and helpful information, especially regarding snorkelling in the Veracruz area. We have warm and cold water boots but the rubber soles flex, so I guess we had better ask about Veracruz at our local scuba dealer.

We are almost 6 months exactly from landing in Veracruz. We do need housing for a few nights (at pensioner prices ;-), but more importantly housing for a month or two in Xalapa.

We are listing our house for sale this week and are leaving in late January regardless of if it sells or not.

Where is your house being built?

Stephen (Silversard)

Visit Xalapa Yahoo Group

Visit Xalapa Photo Blog

"El Gringo Jalapeņo"

Jul 30, 2007, 3:28 PM

Post #9 of 9 (5764 views)

Shortcut

Stephen:
Please remember I have 4 furnished rentals on a side street in downtown Xalapa, which I can rent on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
Looking forward to meeting you soon.
Hasta pronto!
Roy
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeņo" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4