Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

alex

Nov 27, 2001, 4:08 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4845 views)

Shortcut

propane powered vehicle

Can't Post |
I like my gasoline powered Crown Vic but am considering upgrading to a factory built propane or methane(CNG) powered model. I am imagining that I could fill up at any gasera where the minitas are filled. Anyone have experience travelling mainland MX with an alternate fuel vehicle?
Alex

David Eidell

Nov 27, 2001, 5:53 PM

Post #2 of 7 (4844 views)

Shortcut

propane powered vehicle

Can't Post |
Been doing it since '85 (LPG Only). From Tijuana to Tapachula to Tulum.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

alex

Nov 27, 2001, 7:15 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4844 views)

Shortcut

gaseras

Can't Post |
so you fill at a gasera (as opposed to a PEMEX) ?
Alex<p>

David Eidell

Nov 28, 2001, 12:26 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4844 views)

Shortcut

gaseras

Can't Post |
Si!<p>Also those bulk trucks that run around can fill you up on the spot. Really causes a commotion on one of my favorite beaches when the gas truck shows up and pumps a hundred plus gallons into Nellie Belle (Saves a 100+ mile trip to the nearest planta). Few requests to siphon "just a little gas", restrooms are cleaner than Pemex, and crooked attendents and meters are few and fewer.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

alex

Nov 28, 2001, 12:40 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4844 views)

Shortcut

adapters n such

Can't Post |
Thanks David. Have you found that the bulk carriers have the correct fill fitting or do you carry an assortment of adapters?
Alex<p>

David Eidell

Nov 28, 2001, 7:44 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4844 views)

Shortcut

adapters n such

Can't Post |
Because I fear running out and relying on thin shoe leather, I made up an adapter that allows a POL filler to fill my tanks which have the "Fast-Fill" large capacity fittings (all motor fuel and most tanks larger than 100 lbs. have the fast-fill fitting). Sometimes the bulk plant fast fill nozzle busts a valve or a gasket and by having the POL adapter well, it's better than walking.<p>Don't forget that you can gravitate liquid from tank to tank. Heat the fillING tank in the sun and shade the to-be-filled tank to keep it cool. Turn the filling tank upside down to let the liquid drain into the other tank. Open the ten percent valve a little on the tank being filled. The more differential in heat between tanks the faster the transfer will take place. Remember that gravitation relies on the weight of the filling column and not the pressure (so to speak).<p>A forty pound cylinder and a connector hose makes a dandy "gas can" in case you run out.<p>Northern Baja LPG is mostly propane as is LPG along the Northern tier of states and high elevation areas on the mainland. More tropical climes use mostly butane mix. It all works the same without adjustments.<p>There is a dandy place in San Diego to buy hose and fittings. KAMAN BEARING.<p>
Saludos,<p>
David

madison

Dec 19, 2001, 2:59 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4845 views)

Shortcut

adapters n such

Can't Post |
I had friends that did this to their pickups in Late 80-90. No problems but remember
"Mexican" porpane is actually butane-burns different. Most hotels have the "gas" delivered
by a local truck - heck they pull in the campgrounds an fill anyone for RV, Grills and vehicles-just ask.<p><p>: Because I fear running out and relying on thin shoe leather, I made up an adapter that allows a POL filler to fill my tanks which have the "Fast-Fill" large capacity fittings (all motor fuel and most tanks larger than 100 lbs. have the fast-fill fitting). Sometimes the bulk plant fast fill nozzle busts a valve or a gasket and by having the POL adapter well, it's better than walking.<p>: Don't forget that you can gravitate liquid from tank to tank. Heat the fillING tank in the sun and shade the to-be-filled tank to keep it cool. Turn the filling tank upside down to let the liquid drain into the other tank. Open the ten percent valve a little on the tank being filled. The more differential in heat between tanks the faster the transfer will take place. Remember that gravitation relies on the weight of the filling column and not the pressure (so to speak).<p>: A forty pound cylinder and a connector hose makes a dandy "gas can" in case you run out.<p>: Northern Baja LPG is mostly propane as is LPG along the Northern tier of states and high elevation areas on the mainland. More tropical climes use mostly butane mix. It all works the same without adjustments.<p>: There is a dandy place in San Diego to buy hose and fittings. KAMAN BEARING.<p>:
: Saludos,<p>:
: David<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4