Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Bubba

Apr 26, 2007, 7:58 AM

Post #1 of 24 (4556 views)

Shortcut

How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
Well, for those of you living in Mexico or contemplating moving down here, the answer to this innocuous, everyday question is, "yáll" don´t know how you´ns is doin´ unless you´ re religious about getting your blood, urine and stool tests periodically. You could be in the advanced stages of typhoid and have intestinal parasites and both conditions could be absolutley asymptomatic until the day they knock you on your butt. You can´t say Doctor Bubba hasn´t warned you. Doctor Bubba also advises that it is best to treat these conditions, which are detectable prior to the day they visit you in spades, during their early stages having tried both routes from contracting typhoid three times in Mexico in six years and once again enjoying his 20 day antibiotic regimen.

Typhoid comes primarily from filthy food and water such as one is likely to innocently encounter while dining out (just about anywhere) or upon inadequate care at home. The worms can get you through food and water as well but also with their teeny bitty eggs floating through the very air you breathe. Think about that the next time you crank up that leaf blower or walk by a vehicle stirring up the road dust.

The intestinal parasites can be easily treated, typhoid is more problematic, especially if you fail to detect and treat it at an interim stage.

There are a bunch of naive braggarts sashaying about down in Mexico who will pooh pooh these warnings and all I´ve got to say is, ignore Doctor Bubba and you will become a believer before it´s all over. My advice is less painful than that that will be inflicted by the invisible residual human excrement you enjoyed ingesting at that taco stand.

Bon apetite.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 26, 2007, 8:03 AM)

Marlene

Apr 28, 2007, 11:09 AM

Post #2 of 24 (4453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] How Yáll Doin´ ? Typhoid

| Private Reply

The intestinal parasites can be easily treated, typhoid is more problematic, especially if you fail to detect and treat it at an interim stage.

I'm not sure how you would detect typhoid in an early stage. The flu-like symptoms pretty quickly escalate into a terrible headache and fever. (Though I guess some might assume that's just the flu for a day or two longer.) The doctor told me it takes 10 days to surface which doesn't make it easy to pinpoint the source. My sympathies are with you and I hope you feel better really soon. We have each had it once, which was enough. The lab detected I was stricken with 3 types at the same time, one uncommon to Mexico. Go figure.

esperanza

Apr 28, 2007, 12:03 PM

Post #3 of 24 (4444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] How Yáll Doin´ ? Typhoid

| Private Reply
I got it five years ago, in France. I thought I had just a cold, or a mild flu, until pretty soon I couldn't function very well.

Then I thought I was all tired out from racing all over France. So I came back to Mexico early, after two months in France.

Then I thought I had jet lag, plus being all tired out from...well, you remember.

Finally, four months later, I went to the doctor because (as I told him) I thought I had bronchitis. That's what he treated me for, but it didn't get better. Instead, I got worse. And worse, to the point where I could barely walk from the bed to the couch.

Then the doctor asked me a few more questions and suggested that I be tested for typhoid.

Bingo. When he showed up at the house with a bag full of medicines, I knew I was officially sick.

He told me that when you've been exposed to typhoid, there's a titer in your blood that reads about 60 (I don't know 60 what, just 60).

Mine read 3,000. He said, "You've been sick a good long while."

It took me another four or five months to get better, and another six months to feel like myself.

Stay away from Sr. Tifo.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bubba

Apr 28, 2007, 4:04 PM

Post #4 of 24 (4414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] How Yáll Doin´ ? Typhoid

| Private Reply
I'm not sure how you would detect typhoid in an early stage.

Well, having been through this three times, I´ll tell you how. Go in for a blood test and under the heading "Reacciones Febriles" look for positive readings under the headings in that sub-heading. Your value references will be shown as negative. If you test positive under any heading there you have salmonella poisoning/typhoid. The disease is progressive starting out as "Positive 1:80 and progressing to 1:160 and 1:320 then, at 1:640, prepare your will.

As my doctor told me three years ago, it is important to treat salmonella early as it will, according to her, only get worse. When it really hits you you are in for some tough times. You will be exhausted and then develop a high fever or worse.

You can have low levels of salmonella poisoning for a long time and not know it without a blood test.

I only posted this information to warn others who may not think they have a problem and to tout the importance of periodic blood tests. I figure that someone who has been through this and, prior to that experience was totally ignorant of the progressive nature of this disease and its lack of early warning signs, could benefit others with my warning.

I have had my say. You are now on your own.

sciman

Apr 28, 2007, 8:02 PM

Post #5 of 24 (4373 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is the kind of thread that really makes me wonder if I should keep up with this part time obsession thinking about retiring and heading down for the cultural experience and sunshine. We're adaptable, love Mexico, and I think we could find ways of making a contribution.

On the other hand we're not young kids with the most robust immune systems, and in fact we include titanium heart valves that require blood thinners to preclude strokes. As I read this thread, it seems like Typhoid bouts, even with pretty good precautions, are to be counted among the likely experiences of taking on the challenges of living adventurously. I don't want for us to be down and out for long periods of ignorance and misdiagnosis like Esperanza. Are the kinds of blood tests mentioned part of an annual or other regularly scheduled check-up you'd recommend?

hopalog

Apr 29, 2007, 6:14 AM

Post #6 of 24 (4343 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
Aw, poor Bubba. The three times we've had typhoid (Jamie 2x; once from PURPOSELY EATING RAW MEAT!!!) and the handful of times we've had amoebas (I'm assuming that's what you mean by parasites; E.hystolica) the symptoms have been VERY pronounced. Did you try the meds that Jerez recommended? You can get both the MExican version (about 80-100 pesos/treatment here in QRoo) or the US version from Pfitzer (170 pesos/treatment).

Do you have any probotics? Along with the abx, take probotics to replace the good bacteria in your gut.

When I had typhoid it had gone on for over a month (the horrible feeling part) and my immune system was so comprised (WBC, liver enzymes, etc.) that they actually had me take an HIV test. Typhoid SUCKETH GREEN DONKEY BALLS!

much sympathy from QRoo where it is BLAZING HOT and only going to get hotter...

and since you're so sick, you can call me Kathy instead of Hopalog. :)

I need to research this again, but from the number of times you've had it, you may be close to approaching immunity :) there are only so many varieties of typhoid (3 or six?).

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

Bubba

Apr 29, 2007, 8:35 AM

Post #7 of 24 (4316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
we've had amoebas (I'm assuming that's what you mean by parasites; E.hystolica)

No, Kathy, I had worms. My wife had amoebas and brucellosis some time back and those were very unpleasant but I had intestinal worms which I could have contracted from bad food, water or airborn eggs stirred up by traffic or weed eaters or - perhaps - from sleeping with my darlin´ doggy that little bastard. Worm treatment is cheap and uncomplicated. You take the over-the-counter Vermox for a couple of days a month apart. Unfortunately, I found that intestinal parasites (worms) do not cause one to lose weight. Damn! If they did that I would have left them alone since they weren´t bothering me.

My wife is pretty sure she got brucellosis from eating the unpasteurized dairy products she was buying at the Ajijic tianguis. The vendor there has the most delicious yogurts and cheeses you have ever tasted but that stuff can really make you sick.

An interesting thing about consuming unpateurized dairy products. My wife is French* and grew up consuming unpasterized French cheeses and other other dairy products. However, in France, cattle are properly vaccinated so the cases of brucellosis are fewer than in Mexico where we have personally observed filthy conditions among unvaccinated dairy cattle. Back in 2001 when Lake Chapala had receded considerably there were numerous cattle herds roaming the beach in great numbers. We used to watch this lady milk her cows daily in utter (udder?) filth and then sell the milk at the local plaza.

Irresponsible animal husbandry and agricultural practices are commonplace here in Mexico (and most of the world). Not only did we observe filthy dairy operations on the federal land exposed by the receding lake but also daily passed numerous truck farms planted on the exposed toxic lake bed and those zucchini, melons, corn ears, chayotes, etc. were then sold at the local municipal markets. Recently, the government of Lake Chapala´s Jamay Municipality complained to federal authorities that an inordinate number of the community´s children were developing diseases and deformities as a result of eating fish caught in the adjacent lake. I read the local press and watch television news both here in Jalisco and in Chiapas and the papers and television stations are constantly harping about unbelievably filthy rivers (they love to show pictures of the resulting spume) and toxic garbage dumps and nothing is done about this.

Do you think for one minute that the Mexican authorities would have recalled that e-coli infected spinach that killed several people in the United States last year? In your dreams.

Now, I love Mexico, live here full time and am not leaving but I will tell you, as one who spent a couple of years of his youth bumming about Europe, Africa and India and eating in utterly filthy places, the Bubba ain´t 29 anymore and these intestinal diseases can kill an old goober. What is it that makes us believe that we can eat food prepared in street stalls with no clean water source and blithely think that some food preparer who has to defecate behind the nearest tree has then scrubbed those hands that processed our tortilla?

Bon apetite.

* In France in the 1950s when my wife was growing up in Paris, what the French called "liver crises" were quite common and the result of poor food preservation and distribution practices. Also, after the war, the French were poor and one made do with what one had to make do with. Those poor kids in Jamay don´t eat carp from Lake Chapala because it´s particularly appetizing but because that´s all their parents can afford to feed them. And, nobody in Mexico really gives a damn about the poor. The callousness towards the poor in this country is depressing and these porr folks are the people (the lucky ones) working in the kitchen of that restaurant you adore.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 29, 2007, 8:38 AM)

windknot

Apr 30, 2007, 6:16 AM

Post #8 of 24 (4252 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
While on the subject of these various diseases and afflictions, could someone post a list of them, and the recommended "proactive" treatment for each? I never eat in road/streetside stands (although the pollo asado smells soooo good at times!) However, I do eat exclusively in restaurants, since my kitchen isn't finished yet.
Thanks in advance (y'all!)

Bubba

Apr 30, 2007, 12:35 PM

Post #9 of 24 (4200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [windknot] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
OK, Windknot, here is the proactive (I hate that word "proactive" and place it in the same category as "irregardless" but we are using it here nevertheless) treatment for diseases of the digestive system.

Eat at home whenever possible. Thoroughly wash and disinfect all fruits and vegetables and cook the hell out of meats and poultry before you consume them. Buy fish and shellfish with a jaundiced eye and never buy fish that has been fileted unless it is fish you bought whole with the head on and discerned to have been fresh when processed in front of you. Never believe the wait staff that tells you that that fried fish you ordered is snapper. Studies have shown that up to 60% of the fried fish filets purchased in restaurants in the United States is not what they tell you it is. Imagine Mexico where morality is practicality. Never, ever eat salsas in a restaurant. I violate this rule all the time because most Mexican food without salsa is like a day without sunshine so I dip into that repository of e-coli bacteria with abandon and do I really believe, I mean really believe, that that restaurant doesn´t pour the left over salsa from a prevous diner into you salsa bowl? NO! I do not believe that. In Mexico, nothing is wasted. What do you think the produce manager at Soriana or Chedraui does with that chicken that is turning green? Do you honestly believe they throw it away? Not a chance in hell. Think about that the next time you buy a chicken filet sandwich at one of their food courts.

Six years ago, when I first moved here from California, I had the owner of a Lake Chapala restaurant take me to the wholesale fish market in Zapopan, Metropolitan Guadalajara, known as the Mercado del Mar. Almost all of the seafood you see on sale in Jalisco goes first to this wholesale market. He is a proud restaurateur who insists on fresh and high quality seafood. His wisdom imparted to me was that I should always pick out my fish whole based upon my personal freshness criteria, have the fish I chose fileted in front of me and always tip the workers generously.

Eat at home, I say and if you find that boring, hire a failed Russian ballerina to criticize your gut while you are eating inappropriately and at the least you will have no idea what she is saying other than that somehow it involves the notion that she could have scored a visa without having to put up with your sorry ass.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 30, 2007, 12:38 PM)

wendy devlin

Apr 30, 2007, 3:00 PM

Post #10 of 24 (4175 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
>Eat at home, I say and if you find that boring, hire a failed Russian ballerina to criticize your gut while you are eating inappropriately and at the least you will have no idea what she is saying ...

Bubba, you're one helluva entertaining guy!

Trouble, might be...as the kids say...it sucks to be you:)

Years ago, there was a guy on these foro, whose handle was ET.
ET was some kind of scientist...whose speciality was disease microbes.

When ET wrote, had to have all my medical and biology textbooks on hand in order to "grok" his postings.

Yet...ET loved to vacation in Mexico.

Knowing what that guy knew, I wondered how he could:)

Just the same way wonder about you.

Myself... have to suspend quite a lot of learned information and adopt a more philosopical approach. Maybe something like medical "Russian Roulette.

Or like Old Lodge Skins in "Little Big Man" 1970.
Say, "It's a good day to die."

Or "Smoke Signals" 1998.
Evan Adams, the local kid, turned movie star...has recently become an MD.

Imagine:)

TlxcalaClaudia

Apr 30, 2007, 3:28 PM

Post #11 of 24 (4165 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Ugh. This is something I never considered...taking the fam in for a check-up and tests as soon as school is out. The kids and I at least got that amoeba treatment given to all kids and teachers in schools. Still, I wonder if somethng else is lurking in our guts?

Claudine

Bubba

Apr 30, 2007, 4:16 PM

Post #12 of 24 (4150 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
Or like Old Lodge Skins in "Little Big Man" 1970.
Say, "It's a good day to die."

Wendy, Darlin´:

One of my favorite lines in all of moviedom.

Others:

Do you realize that you are going to have to answer to the Coca Cola Company? (From Dr. Strangelove)

Round up the usual suspects. (Claude Reins)

Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever! (George Wallace)

Badges? We ain´t got to show you no stinking badges.!(Treasure of the Sierra Madre)

Good God, how can it be that you are a girl but have a dick? (The Crying Game)

Why can´t I remember anything worth remembering?

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 30, 2007, 4:35 PM)

Gringal

Apr 30, 2007, 4:33 PM

Post #13 of 24 (4142 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"Do you want to live forever?" ...Conan the Barbarian

Bubba

Apr 30, 2007, 4:44 PM

Post #14 of 24 (4135 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
Stupid is as stupid does. You like me you really really like me! AAGH; AAGGH AAGH! (Sally Field)

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 30, 2007, 4:45 PM)

Oscar2

Apr 30, 2007, 4:57 PM

Post #15 of 24 (4121 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
"I got the bill for my surgery. Now I know why the doctors were wearing masks for." .......James H. Boren

hopalog

Apr 30, 2007, 7:31 PM

Post #16 of 24 (4082 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bubba's new salsa bar (only it isn't in Mexico, it is in Quintana Roo)

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

Mark Landes

Apr 30, 2007, 8:18 PM

Post #17 of 24 (4071 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Oh it just needs a bit of buffing (John Candy in Planes, Trains & Automobiles) after getting sideswiped by two big rigs at once.
"Boy are you F**&%" (same movie) (to Steve Martin at the ticket counter)
Mark

belgique

May 1, 2007, 5:28 AM

Post #18 of 24 (4042 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Badges? We ain´t got to show you no stinking badges.!(Treasure of the Sierra Madre)

I thought it was from that all time hit movie: Blazing Saddles.

(I know it is not...but Blazing Saddles REALLY made it famous)

Bubba

May 1, 2007, 7:18 AM

Post #19 of 24 (4025 views)

Shortcut

Re: [belgique] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
Ah, yes. Blazing Saddles. Mongo punching out the horse brought to you by the same geniuses that brought us Frankensteen.

Just to keep this at least indirectly Mexican, Steve Martin picking up his film crew at the Mexican border in Bowfinger and later confronting Daisy with whom he is having sex for having had sex with Eddie Murphy (as Jiff):

Bowfinger: It´s over between us.
Daisy: But, why?
Bowfinger: You´ve been having sex with Jiff.
Daisy: So?
Bowfinger: Well, now that you put it that way.....

windknot

May 1, 2007, 10:06 AM

Post #20 of 24 (3995 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
WOW DID THIS THEAD GET DE-RAILED!!!!! But funny!!!!

But back to amoebas and other diseases......I never buy anything from a roadside stand...never. I do eat seafood and a lot of it, again at restaurants. And once my kitchen is in place, things will get a lot safer, but I'm going to hate knocking my steaks down from medium rare to medium....UGH! But Bubba, thanks for your input.

What I was really looking for, was more of a list; First, of all the potential hazards, such as amoebas, typhoid (including the various strains) and other critters. .....And second, another list of the "proactive" medications that one might take, in order to cancel or otherwise avoid infestation.

In lieu of that, a website where one might find this information. Mexicans seem to be immune to a lot of this...I mean, someone eats all that roadside food!

Gringal

May 1, 2007, 1:25 PM

Post #21 of 24 (3972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [windknot] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
"In lieu of that, a website where one might find this information. Mexicans seem to be immune to a lot of this...I mean, someone eats all that roadside food! "

Observation: They start them out on the chile and roadside treats when they're little. That way, they just get a little sick. Observation point: sitting in the SMA Jardin near the stand where they sell the globs of fat and onions (which have been sitting in the nice warm sun for hours) covered with fiery salsa. By the time they're teenagers, they can eat ANYTHING. And do.

I've been thinking about all that salsa being recycled to the next customer. Suddenly, it doesn't look so good. Thanks, Bubbadoc.

Marlene

May 1, 2007, 3:35 PM

Post #22 of 24 (3944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
Roadside taco or foods stands aren't necessarily the culprits. This can and does happen anywhere. I felt certain I pinpointed my bout of typhoid to a well-known cocina economica in el Centro area. It's frequented by business types, is family run and we had eaten there many times. I felt ill shortly after I ate, with strong stomach cramps, but it passed quickly and then 10 days later the fever and headache hit. My doctor told me it incubates for 10 days. I felt fine inbetween.

We eat at long-established taco stands all the time. The food is economical and good, the food preparation place is clean and we find them to be no different than restaurants with outdoor patios. But yesterday something grossed me out, and it's probably completely unrelated to being a cause of any ailments we are talking about here. We stopped by a pizza restaurant while on the run doing errands and were nicely seated and enjoying our pizza when we heard a very loud and unmuffled "Ka-choo" coming from the kitchen. I looked at my husband, who was facing the open kitchen area and said "Please don't tell me that was the teenager making pizza who just sneezed all over". He says "Okay, I won't". Yuck! We did comment before we left the restaurant but it clearly fell on deaf ears. Strike that off our list of places to eat.

Georgia

May 6, 2007, 8:15 PM

Post #23 of 24 (3809 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
To Bubba's list I would add: Wash your own hands, for God's sake. Especially before eating. Don't eat where there are no sanitary facilities ... if you don't have access to them, neither does the staff. Disinfect your vegetables. Don't hang around open sewage sources. Keep your own immune system robust with good rest, exercise, and a healthy diet. These rules apply here, there, and everywhere.

sfmacaws

May 6, 2007, 8:38 PM

Post #24 of 24 (3801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] How Yáll Doin´ ?

| Private Reply
Hear! Hear! Georgia's advice is the best in this whole thread.

Washing your own hands often (not just when you are about to eat unless you never touch your face except when eating) is the biggest way to keep yourself healthy.

I'd only add, take acidophilus regularly, arm your troops.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4