Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish

quevedo

Apr 8, 2007, 8:10 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4704 views)

Shortcut

"No sabemos dónde lo han puesto" / "We don't know where they have put him"

Can't Post |
El primer día de la semana, al amanecer, cuando aún estaba oscuro, fue María Magdalena al sepulcro y vio la losa quitada. Fue corriendo a donde estaba Simón Pedro con el discípulo preferido de Jesús, y le dijo:
-Se han llevado del sepulcro al Señor y no sabemos dónde lo han puesto.

Pedro y el otro discípulo salieron para el sepulcro. Los dos corrían juntos, pero como el otro discípulo corría más que Pedro, se le adelantó y llegó primero; asomándose al sepulcro, vio las vendas en el suelo, pero no entró. Simón Pedro llegó detrás, entró en el sepulcro y vio las vendas en el suelo; el sudario en que le habían envuelto la cabeza no estaba en el suelo con las vendas, sino enrollado aparte. Entonces entró también el discípulo que había llegado primero y, al ver aquello, creyó, porque hasta entonces no habían entendido lo que dice la Escritura: que tenía que resucitar de la muerte.

Juan 20, 1-9

At dawn on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said,
-They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don't know where they have put him!

Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first; looking in he saw the strips of linen lying there but did not go in. Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there; the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head was not lying with the strips but folded up by itself, separate from the linen. Finally the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went inside. He saw and believed, because until then they still did not understand what the Scripture says: that He had to rise from the dead.

John 20, 1-9

Muy felices Pascuas a todo el mundo.

Happy Easter!

Quevedo

jerezano

Apr 8, 2007, 3:04 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] "No sabemos dónde lo han puesto" / "We don't know where they have put him"

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello Sr. Quevedo,

Gracias por su mensaje de la Semana Santa. Es la primera vez que he leido ese mensaje en español.

Ahora tengo una pregunta de la oración:

>>Fue corriendo a donde estaba Simón Pedro con el discípulo preferido de Jesús, y le dijo:<<

Si yo fuese el traductor la frase "the one Jesus loved," la palabra "consentido" viene a mi mente. Pero hay una conotación un poquite despectivo de esta palabra ¿No?

Claro preferido y consentido significan lo mismo. Preferido es más neutro y consentido más emocional--está cargada con otras cosas. ¿Es correcto?

Adiós. jerezano

quevedo

Apr 10, 2007, 2:35 PM

Post #3 of 6 (4654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] "No sabemos dónde lo han puesto" / "We don't know where they have put him"

Can't Post |
Correcto, amigo Jerezano.

Felices Pascuas,

Quevedo

bunny

Apr 10, 2007, 3:48 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [quevedo] "No sabemos dónde lo han puesto" / "We don't know where they have put him"

When I lived in Greece for a few months about 20 years ago, the Pascal greeting flew in the air throughout this week after Easter Sunday, replacing "good mornings" and "good evenings"--even strangers (and even many of the nonfaithful) passing on the streets acknowledged each other with a hearty "Christos anesti!" (Christ is risen!) to which the reply would be "Alithos anesti!" (Indeed he has risen).

Just curious: Is there an equivalent Mexican greeting? Do people (still) use it?

Also, I notice that your closing salutation is "felices Pascuas," plural. Correct to roughly translate this as a wish to "enjoy the days of Easter"? Would it be the appropriate thing for me to say to people upon leave-taking during the week before Easter Sunday, or is it too cheery for the sombreness of Semana Santa? (Specific example: when I'm saying goodbye to someone on Good Friday and I won't be seeing them til Monday.) And do I continue to say it during this week leading up to the Ascension?

lost again,
Gretchen

jerezano

Apr 11, 2007, 8:33 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4624 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bunny] "No sabemos dónde lo han puesto" / "We don't know where they have put him"

Hello Gretchen,

You asked about felices pascuas:>> or is it too cheery for the sombreness of Semana Santa?

Here in my neck of the woods, Zacatecas, there is nothing sombre about Semana Santa. True the Procession of Silence on Good Friday night is sombre. True the veiling of the images in the churches is sombre. Nothing else here is sombre. With the dawn of Holy Saturday (Sábado de Gloria) the whole 40 (cuaresma) days of Lent breaks and there is nothing but fiestas from that time on. How typical of Mexico as a whole this is I can't say but it seems to me that Spring Break as we practice it in the United States has hit my section of México as well.

Felices Pascuas, yes does refer to the whole of Easter Week not just to Easter itself. Still, I have not heard it used as a greeting as you mentioned about Greece. But then most of my Mexican friends while being professed Catholics are not really rabid about their religion either.

Adiós. jerezano

bunny

Apr 13, 2007, 4:50 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4567 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] "No sabemos dónde lo han puesto" / "We don't know where they have put him"

Thanks for your experienced insight, estimado Jerezano!

Gretchen

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4