Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

geri

Apr 10, 2007, 12:56 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2529 views)

Shortcut

Jovenes Mexicanos

Can't Post | Private Reply
The other night in the zocalo, a group of young Mexicans (3 female, 6 or 7 male) were horsing around. They had cardboard plaques with numbers 8, 9, or 10 on them and when a young Mexican woman would pass by they'd rate her. Some of the young women smiled, others ignored them. Mexican humor is hard for me to translate/understand so I'm not making a judgment about this happening, but it was interesting to me. I don't watch much TV, but I think there are "contest" shows where the judges "rate" the participants. Anyway, I caught the attention of one of the young guys and pointed to myself. They all got up and came across the walkway to my table and hooted and hollared and held up their 10s. Wish I had taken a photo. I've never been rated a 10 before!! Must be the silver hair.

In another incident, I crossed the street near my house when the light for oncoming traffic turned red and a motorcycle (which I obviously hadn't noticed) ran the light "almost" hitting me. Other foreigners (unknown to me) crossing with me, yelled "pendejo," to which the motorcyclist turned his cycle toward them, confrontationally. I don't know the outcome because I just kept on trucking across the street. (He was bigger than I and maybe a bit boracho). Anyway, a young Mexican boy, who looked about 16 to me, appeared at my side. My guess is he had noticed what happened. He walked with me across the four-lane street and stayed with me the next two blocks to the store. He was obviously "accompanying" me because I walk slowly. No words were necessary.

There's a high school near my house and sometimes a young person will slow down and walk with me, usually to practice English, but sometimes we speak only in Spanish.

Last night when seeing a guest off at ADO bus terminal (near my house) we noticed a young couple smooching. The street light is out and it was quite dark along there. An hour later, when I walked home alone they were still there! (Maybe THEY stoned the street light??? tee hee). I remember my first winter in Oaxaca (almost a decade ago) a young couple would smooch for HOURS outside our diningroom window. They probably didn't know that we could see them and certainly didn't care. My roommate said, "I feel like inviting them in and offering them our guest room!!)

wendy devlin

Apr 10, 2007, 2:11 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Jovenes Mexicanos

Geri,

Jovenes mexicanos seems a timely topic...given other threads going on other forums about demographics and population:)

Mexico, has always seemed to me, full of children and young people.
Understand a large percentage of the current population is under 25.

In recent years, was (generally)my pleasure to spend a great deal of time with the twenty-something crowd.

Got to know some of them quite well.
Their hopes, dreams, issues and anxieties etc. Much of this information experienced in shared experiences in context of a relation of their intimacy with our daughter. A number of them becoming part of our (retired)life through hers.

Glad you are getting these kinds of opportunities, viejita:)

pat

Apr 10, 2007, 3:20 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2494 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Jovenes Mexicanos

Hmmm. I tried to run the word "pendejo" through my Spanish-English on-line translator. I think I made it blush.

It said to ask the meaning of the word on one of the Spanish language web sites.

How's that for cyber-political correctness?

Pat

geri

Apr 10, 2007, 3:23 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2492 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] Jovenes Mexicanos

So you can see why I wasn't about to stand around waiting to see what happened to the guys who called the motorycyclist that!

Anonimo

Apr 11, 2007, 5:24 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] Jovenes Mexicanos

To put it nicely, a "pendejo"is a person of diminished social worth. Yeah.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

jerezano

Apr 13, 2007, 8:38 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Jovenes Mexicanos

Hello,

Pendejo has the basic meaning of a "pubic hair".

Never call a stranger pendejo. It could be suicide.

Its use is quite common among men and is applied with amused tolerance to friends who have committed a foolish act. It is applied to enemies with bitter hatred and to many public officials with resignation.

Women hardly ever use it unless really frustrated. With one exception, that is: Everybody uses it when some futbol player does something stupid. "Ése pendejo....."

Where in the USA we would say bullshit, the proper term here in México is "pendejadas" which is a perfectly useable term to describe what our elected officials are saying.

So be careful with this word.

Adiós. jerezano

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4