Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

pez222

Apr 2, 2007, 12:06 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3018 views)

Shortcut

Mosquitoes in Maz'

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have never seen a mosquitoe in my visits to either Mazatlan or PV. In my home state of So. Dakota they are a concern because of west nile virus. Each year there are deaths due to WN virus here in So. Dak. It is spread by migratory birds and mosquitoes.

My wife and I will be in Maz' this month. We plan on staying in the Gold Coast part of our time and will also try out a small hotel in the old down town area. Are mosquitoes found this time of the year in the old section?

Is the WN virus found that far South in Mexico?

MazDee

Apr 2, 2007, 7:32 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pez222] Mosquitoes in Maz'

I don't think the West Nile virus has made it down here, but we have some mosquitos. Not a great concern to me, anyway. I don't ever have mosquitos in my 3rd floor apartment, even in summer, but my neighbors on lower floors do. Mazatlán has a great program of abatement. In addition to spraying in the obvious places, they go door to door, looking for standing water and providing chemicals to homes to kill potential eggs. There still are many cases of Dengue fever reported in the summer, particularly in the more rural areas. Apparently, Dengue is increasing all over México and the US. I have just resigned myself that as a resident I may get that some day! Anyway, it is probably the last thing I would worry about as you make your visit to Maz. Enjoy our beautiful city. Dee

ncferret

Apr 6, 2007, 7:11 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pez222] Mosquitoes in Maz'

Dee is correct the WN virus hasn't made it to Maz as yet. When we lived in CO, it was a major problem. So much so that many cities started widespread spraying programs - which we have here in Mazatlan as well.

Unfortunately, in Maz we do have Dengue. Equally as dangerous as WN and spreading quite rapidly - especially in poorer rural areas. There was an article in last week's Noroeste discussing the 600% (if memory serves) increase this year in the more deadly type of Hemorrhagic Dengue. I have been impressed by the steps the government has taken to control mosquito breeding. Certainly the response here has been better than what we experienced in CO.

I am rarely bitten in Mexico, but I was bitten regularly in CO. Maybe drinking Pacifico keeps the little monsters at bay.

MazDee

Apr 6, 2007, 8:46 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2936 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Mosquitoes in Maz'

Yes, Dave the Hemorrhagic dengue is on the increase now everywhere, and it can be deadly if not treated right away. That is why some rural poor are more apt to die: because they or their families don't seek medical help in time. I think last year I read about a few deaths, and they all were poor and aged and living in rural areas. But I have never heard of any cases in the areas where tourists normally visit. The more common dengue, I am told, lasts about a week or 10 days (enough to ruin a vacation if it happens) and the patient is very uncomfortable, to say the least. I know a few long-time residents who have had it and MANY more who haven't. I think this municipality, which includes many small rural towns, does a great job with mosquito control. Better than where I lived in CA and Oregon. I still say it is the last thing I would worry about when visiting here. But, watch out for the drivers! Be careful when you cross the street!

ncferret

Apr 7, 2007, 6:00 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Mosquitoes in Maz'

Excellent point about driving in town - especially during a time like Semana Santa when so many Mexicans come from out of town and are unfamiliar with the one way streets of Centro. I was out for a short trip on Tuesday and at two different stop signs I saw someone driving down the street the wrong way. I've learned to look in BOTH directions when I'm at a stop sign - even if it's a one way street I am crossing.

Of course, there is only so much you can do. I've been hit twice in the last year. Both times I was stopped at a stop light waiting for it to change. The good news is that both of the "culpa" drivers had insurance and their insurance took care of everything.

I agree, if you're here on vacation don't worry about the vampiritos.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4