Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Joe Nelson

Dec 13, 2001, 11:19 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2881 views)

Shortcut

Brownsville & Matamoros Crossing

Can't Post |
On my exploded view map of the Brownsville & Matamoros Crossing it shows two cross/bridges, one bridge is the Gateway Internatioal bridge the other on my map has no name but is a extention of US 83 they show both have Mx customs & Immigration stops The one off the Gateway Internatioal bridge goes right into town while the other no name bridge looks like it bypasses the main part of Matamoros and they both will get me to Mex 101, is the no name bridge a ok cross point, the map I am using is the one from the Sanborns travelog for Mexico gulf coast.

Jerezano

Dec 27, 2001, 8:38 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2879 views)

Shortcut

Brownsville & Matamoros Crossing

Can't Post |
Hello:<p>Yes, both bridges at Brownsville will take you to an immigration point. (Do not take the third bridge which shares the railroad, it doesn't take you to an immigration office.) However, I would suggest you drive South from Harlingen to the Los Indios Free Trade Bridge which is halfway between Harlingen and San Benito. It is a much easier place to cross with shorter lines, very friendly and knowledgeable personnel at the bank. You will need to stop at Immigration which is the first building, then walk over to the bank, walk back to get copies of your documents, walk back to the bank and hand in your documents and copies, pick up your papers, listen to the clerk tell you where to paste your windshield decal and take off. On my last crossing with a new car it took me 15 minutes total time, from waiting in line (two people in front), to being told what documents I needed copies of (only one each required here instead of the two required at Reynosa)to walking to the copy machine and returning, and to picking up my decal. The line did not go fast because one of the guys in front was giving the clerk hell because he did not have his comprobante showing that he had returned a former car. She was very patient trying to explain that information was not on the computer and he would have to go to Matamoros where they maintained a hard copy list of Comprobantes issued. All in all it was one of the fastest border crossings where I had to obtain a car permit in my 13 years experience. Jerezano.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4