Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

tiashea

Mar 25, 2007, 8:02 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5234 views)

Shortcut

Moving to SMA

Can't Post | Private Reply
HI, I'm considering moving to SMA and have visited there twice in the recent past. I read blogs and other sites on the internet about living there and have tried to get educated about the twists and turns of getting moved to Mexico. That being said, I have some questions that I haven't found answers to. By the way, I'm new to Mexconnect. (1) I work with polymer clay. Is there a place in or near SMA to buy polymer clay (brand names: Sculpey, Cernit, Fimo, Kato Polyclay)? (2) When I cross the border and have only my clothing and a few household items, do I pay a tax to bring those items into Mexico? If I bring a computer, is there a duty or tax on it? and how much approximately? (3) I read on blogs about crime in SMA. Are you generally worried about thieves breaking into your house? On real estate sites I see bars on the windows.
I would appreciate any insight you can give me on these question. MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!
Tia in Atlanta
pjshea@bellsouth.net

jerezano

Mar 27, 2007, 8:12 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tiashea] Moving to SMA

Hello Aunt Shea

For your questions about San Miguel de Allende go to

www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com.

For answers to your questions about crossing the border and moving go to our compatriot Rolly's web sites.

Safety of houses and belongings and your own person is better than some districts of McAllen, Texas, or Brownsville, or Las Vegas, or wherever you are living now.

Mexicans believe in barred windows because that is an inheritance from the old Colonial days which stem back to Spain and their history of wars. And in my neck of the woods where so many houses are vacant for years at a time--owners working in the USA--they do keep out the vandals.

Mexicans artisans do wonderful work with pottery using native clays. Perhaps they could teach you that.

Adiós. jerezano.

Gringal

Mar 27, 2007, 9:09 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5178 views)

Shortcut

Another suggestion: to get the flavor of a town, it is helpful to look at the local newspaper. In this case, the Atencion, which comes out on Fridays and is now online at www.Atencion.com Mostly in English, with some articles translated into Spanish.

If you become a member of the <fallinginlovewithsanmiguel> forum, there is a segment on "where can you find" and you may get the answers re artists' materials there.

Another SMA forum is <civil_SMA> where posters ask for sources of various items. I have found it very helpful.

tiashea

Mar 27, 2007, 10:00 AM

Post #4 of 7 (5172 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Moving to SMA

Gringal,
Thank you for your reply. I do read Atencion every week and find if very informative. I've submitted a request for access to civil-sma, and I'm just waiting for an approval. Again THANK YOU!!!

Trish Shea
Atlanta, GA

Ivester

Mar 28, 2007, 12:53 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5121 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
HI, I'm considering moving to SMA and have visited there twice in the recent past. I read blogs and other sites on the internet about living there and have tried to get educated about the twists and turns of getting moved to Mexico. That being said, I have some questions that I haven't found answers to. By the way, I'm new to Mexconnect. (1) I work with polymer clay. Is there a place in or near SMA to buy polymer clay (brand names: Sculpey, Cernit, Fimo, Kato Polyclay)? (2) When I cross the border and have only my clothing and a few household items, do I pay a tax to bring those items into Mexico? If I bring a computer, is there a duty or tax on it? and how much approximately? (3) I read on blogs about crime in SMA. Are you generally worried about thieves breaking into your house? On real estate sites I see bars on the windows.
I would appreciate any insight you can give me on these question. MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!
Tia in Atlanta
pjshea@bellsouth.net

If you find an answer to your polymer clay question, please let us know either on the forum or by personal message. We're also considering moving to Mexico, and my wife Suzanne is into polymer clay big-time. Along with jewelry and other items, she has done some paintings in the medium, some of Mexican scenes, several of which which have been published in books on polymer clay. Some of her polymer clay paintings of Guanajuato and the Chapala area can be seen here: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=3886121&uid=149408

My favorite is the Guanajuato plaza scene called "Cafe Bossanova," where we spent some very relaxing afternoons reading and people-watching. The figure in the painting is the cafe owner's daughter doing her homework.

tiashea

Mar 28, 2007, 2:24 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ivester] Moving to SMA

Hi,
I did have a private reply which said there is no polymer clay in Mexico. I have a friend in Puerto Vallarta, and I will double check with her on that too. I will email you if I find out any differently. Your wife's work is terrific--beautiful colors.

Trish Shea
Atlanta, GA

donnameyer

Apr 29, 2007, 10:16 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4992 views)

Shortcut

Tiashea,

I'm afraid i can't give you an answer on the polymer clay issue.

The bars on the windows are more a cultural and colonial thing than one of safety. They are part of a long tradition.

When you cross the border, you really shouldn't have any trouble if you have only personal things and used items. Where you stop at the border, there will be a light, like a stoplight, with a button below. The border guard will instruct you to push the button. If it's green, you go through with no further inspection. If it's red, they will check your car. This is often a cursory inspection. If you simply say you have used items for your personal use while in Mexico, you should have no problem.

The red vs. green light is random, and there are a lot more green lights than red ones, so your chances of passing through with no inspection are pretty good.
Donna
http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-allende.com
Click on "Best SMA Restaurants" to post your own restaurant reviews and recommendations.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4