Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Jerry From Ontario, Canada

Dec 17, 2001, 11:48 AM

Post #1 of 8 (4750 views)

Shortcut

Vehicle documentation for entering Mexico

Can't Post |
There seems to be a need for a vehicle "title" in addition to the vehicle registration which is mormally issued by your home state/province. Does the "title" mean the bill of sale?

Rolly

Dec 17, 2001, 2:54 PM

Post #2 of 8 (4749 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
What they want is proof of ownership. If you still owe money on the car, you must also have a notarized letter from the bank granting you permission to bring the car into Mexico. Often the registration card is enough, but you may get an inspector who wants to see the title or whatever Canada issues to show ownership.<p>When I came into Mexico, the guy was very interested in looking at my papers. A friend recently came through with nary a glance at his papers. Be prepared.<p>

Ernie Gorrie

Dec 18, 2001, 1:27 AM

Post #3 of 8 (4749 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I had no idea what this "title" document is. I've received temporary vehicle importation documents for my British Columbia registered Ranger twice (once on an FMT and once on an FM3) by providing a copy of my BC registration/insurance papers.

Al

Dec 18, 2001, 7:02 PM

Post #4 of 8 (4750 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Is a document issued by your local DMV that certifies you own the vehicle free & clear. In California is also known as "pink slip"<p>Make copies & present one at the border. Keep the original in a safe place with you.<p>
: I had no idea what this "title" document is. I've received temporary vehicle importation documents for my British Columbia registered Ranger twice (once on an FMT and once on an FM3) by providing a copy of my BC registration/insurance papers.<p>

Madison

Dec 19, 2001, 2:13 PM

Post #5 of 8 (4751 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I have entered the past years from the USA ( I am american) and always take the title (Certificate of Title issued by the state you reside in) From your county seat/ courthouse. And a copy of the registration (pink piece of paper in my state). The title (proff of ownership can sometimes be different than the person registered to drive the vehicle. i.e. the title of the pickup I take into mexico is "owned" by my father; I am the registered driver. My dad lives in Chicago; me in Nebraska and I am the main driver until he comes to visit.
Also, don't forget to take at least 3 copies of the docs: title, registration, proof of mexican vehicle insurance, passport, drivers license, same for any towed vehciles. If you vehicle is leased or not paid for in full (there is a lienholder i.e. GMC etc) you must have a notarized (that is besst and official looking) that you are allowed to take the vehicle into Mexico.
The three copies of each item I mention is a matter of true convenience if you have any trouble. Not a lot of copiers for you to shoot a xerox at your convenience like the US or Canada.
Remember, you are in a foriegn country and one that is about 20 years behind.I recommend a passport as you never know now with Sept 11th! I have many firends already this year who have crossed the border with their papers (like above) and they report no problems.
REMEMBER: They just went online with a computer program and issue a window sticker holgram like that must be turned in when you cross back over when returning to USA. They ask you to remove the sticker at the stop and bring it into the officio; GET A RECIEPT FOR THIS!!!! The next year if you reenter, they may have goofed showing you brought your vehicle back out and lots of hassle then!!!
The officio that does this is just across from where you get your entry docs etc. On your way back to US border, there is not a official"stop" this is voluntary and most people are not even
aware of this. Therefore, hassle the next time you try entering since they are on computer. Also, you must take the "attached document" from which the sticker peeled from and take it to a bank when you arrive at your destination and pay about $14 us dollars and they stamp it and this is like a re entry fee.
It doesn't have to be taken care of immediately when you arrive at your destination nor if you decide to "destinate" somewhere else then mentioned upon entry. They just really care that before you head north that you pay the "tax" for the pleasure of visiting !!!!<p>I have traveled by vehicle extensively and would be happy to give info, quaint hotels, road conditions etc if you need.....Feliz Navidad<p> : Is a document issued by your local DMV that certifies you own the vehicle free & clear. In California is also known as "pink slip"<p>: Make copies & present one at the border. Keep the original in a safe place with you.<p>:
: : I had no idea what this "title" document is. I've received temporary vehicle importation documents for my British Columbia registered Ranger twice (once on an FMT and once on an FM3) by providing a copy of my BC registration/insurance papers.<p>

Phil Riche

Dec 21, 2001, 10:05 PM

Post #6 of 8 (4749 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I have always used my registration receipt without a problem. However, I have my title just in case.<p>: There seems to be a need for a vehicle "title" in addition to the vehicle registration which is mormally issued by your home state/province. Does the "title" mean the bill of sale?<p>

PR

Jan 1, 2002, 7:11 PM

Post #7 of 8 (4755 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Sorry Madison since you've gone to some trouble to explain this but I am still confused about the sticker thing...I plan to be driving my Canadian registered car into Baja soon and understand I must have my registration with me and that I must get a temporary vehicle import permit at the Mexican border and pay around $21 for that. (I don't think we have the equivalent of a "pink slip"--is proof of ownership required?)<p>Is this computer sticker thing and the $14 charge something on top of this? Please explain.<p>Thanks!<p> I have entered the past years from the USA ( I am american) and always take the title (Certificate of Title issued by the state you reside in) From your county seat/ courthouse. And a copy of the registration (pink piece of paper in my state). The title (proff of ownership can sometimes be different than the person registered to drive the vehicle. i.e. the title of the pickup I take into mexico is "owned" by my father; I am the registered driver. My dad lives in Chicago; me in Nebraska and I am the main driver until he comes to visit.
: Also, don't forget to take at least 3 copies of the docs: title, registration, proof of mexican vehicle insurance, passport, drivers license, same for any towed vehciles. If you vehicle is leased or not paid for in full (there is a lienholder i.e. GMC etc) you must have a notarized (that is besst and official looking) that you are allowed to take the vehicle into Mexico.
: The three copies of each item I mention is a matter of true convenience if you have any trouble. Not a lot of copiers for you to shoot a xerox at your convenience like the US or Canada.
: Remember, you are in a foriegn country and one that is about 20 years behind.I recommend a passport as you never know now with Sept 11th! I have many firends already this year who have crossed the border with their papers (like above) and they report no problems.
: REMEMBER: They just went online with a computer program and issue a window sticker holgram like that must be turned in when you cross back over when returning to USA. They ask you to remove the sticker at the stop and bring it into the officio; GET A RECIEPT FOR THIS!!!! The next year if you reenter, they may have goofed showing you brought your vehicle back out and lots of hassle then!!!
: The officio that does this is just across from where you get your entry docs etc. On your way back to US border, there is not a official"stop" this is voluntary and most people are not even
: aware of this. Therefore, hassle the next time you try entering since they are on computer. Also, you must take the "attached document" from which the sticker peeled from and take it to a bank when you arrive at your destination and pay about $14 us dollars and they stamp it and this is like a re entry fee.
: It doesn't have to be taken care of immediately when you arrive at your destination nor if you decide to "destinate" somewhere else then mentioned upon entry. They just really care that before you head north that you pay the "tax" for the pleasure of visiting !!!!<p>: I have traveled by vehicle extensively and would be happy to give info, quaint hotels, road conditions etc if you need.....Feliz Navidad<p>: : Is a document issued by your local DMV that certifies you own the vehicle free & clear. In California is also known as "pink slip"<p>: : Make copies & present one at the border. Keep the original in a safe place with you.<p>: :
: : : I had no idea what this "title" document is. I've received temporary vehicle importation documents for my British Columbia registered Ranger twice (once on an FMT and once on an FM3) by providing a copy of my BC registration/insurance papers.<p>

carolina

Jan 9, 2002, 10:20 PM

Post #8 of 8 (4748 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I am a Canadian and have entered Mexico twice with a vehicle. All you need is the ownership paper issued by the licence office in Ontario. You are issued a windshield sticker. In Baha you dont need this sticker but if you cross to the mainland you will need it and it is only issued at the US border so its a good idea to get it. You have to buy the sticker with a credit card.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4