Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Oscar2

Mar 20, 2007, 11:46 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2146 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Treats

Can't Post | Private Reply
On a previous thread Joanna caught my eye and perked taste buds with:

Mexican Crepes with Poblano Chile, Corn & Epazote with Salsa Verde au gratin with Manchego Cheese $120

Last November while visiting several cities like Aguascalientes, Guanajuato and Guad, malls, sidewalk cafes and real surprising (never experienced before NoB) “movie theaters” served up a variety of delicious crepes. Crepes in theaters must be unique to Mexico because I’ve yet to see this pleasantry NoB.

What peaks interest and gives way to Mexican charm is the way some of these little specialty eateries serve these thinly wrapped secrets meant to tantalize buds and a need to return for more. Crepe origin points toward the French Crepes Suzette which indeed casts the very much adopted European flavor of some of Mexico’s cuisine. The exact origin of these fancy thin delights is speculative, yet interesting and yes, can be a treat.

The Crepe, Joanna mentioned, indeed, sounds indigenous of Mexico’s unique creation and appetizing. Most of the ones I’ve experienced have been more universal like chocolate, banana and Nutella, caramel, fruit and other creamy fillings meant to appease the sweet draw. Although, if this vague memory of mine is serving me right, while out with friends in Aguascalientes, I remember perusing a very large assorted menu but my stomach zeroed in on the thin wrappings snagged by my relentless sweet tooth.

We look forward to Morelia, Oaxaca and other cities south. I kind of get the feeling perhaps some of these edible treats found in northern-central Mexico, may diminish traveling toward and closer to Guatemala border. Who knows ……. Ahh, adventure!

sfmacaws

Mar 20, 2007, 2:23 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Mexican Treats

It's hard to tell what was really meant by that item on the menu since the only menu I have up here in the condo is in english. The restaurant is owned by a German, the chef is Mexican, the food in general is - in my very humble opinion - more menu pretentious than good to eat. I find that the best thing about this restaurant is that it is downstairs from my condo and I can yell over the balcony to the waiters and they will deliver the food.

I have seen Mexican Crepes listed as the translation on other menus when in spanish it was something like a quesadilla. In this case though, it probably is a crepe.

In general I think you are right and you will see less crepes as you get south of Puebla.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

jennifer rose

Mar 20, 2007, 2:33 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Mexican Treats

Can't Post |
Cinepolis in Morelia has crepes.

I've seen crepes on Mexican menus for years, and they look just like any other crepe. The ones I've seen definitely didn't have quesadilla properties. Usually the filling was cajeta, cheese, huitlaloche or squash flower.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Mar 20, 2007, 2:33 PM)

Anonimo

Mar 20, 2007, 3:58 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Mexican Treats

Susan ate Crepas de Flor de Calabaza in Sanborn's Casa de los Azulezos, in México, D.F. They were rich but not especially distinctive. http://tinyurl.com/2oz2t5

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4