Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

toddmc

Jan 16, 2007, 12:27 PM

Post #1 of 7 (6311 views)

Shortcut

Tile Shopping Dolores Hidalgo or Santa Rosa

Can't Post | Private Reply
This Friday, we are meeting with our builder in Capula, a town well know for its tile here in Michoacan.
We will be picking out tiles for the home we are building in Patzcuaro.

As we have never picked out tile before and want to be familiar with a broader range of tiles and styles so we thought we would like to go on a day trip to
Dolores Hidalgo and/or Santa Rosa to see what they have to offer. To give us something to compare with.

For those of you familiar with the area, should we hit just one town or both?
Do you have any favorite shops that you would recommend?

Thanks

Todd

Our new life in Patzcuaro: http://lifeinthecorazon.blogspot.com/

bournemouth

Jan 16, 2007, 12:36 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] Tile Shopping Dolores Hidalgo or Santa Rosa

I don't remember seeing tiles at the Santa Rosa Talavera place - but I've been know to be wrong in the past. Their Talavera is very Italianate in style

For years we have bought tile from these people:

http://www.talaveracortes.com.mx/

The quality of their tiles has improved enormously over the years. They never seem to have anything in stock. You chose your tile, they make it and ship it to you. The only shipment that came very rapidly was the plain tile and bullnose, mudcaps etc. - the termination pieces.

jennifer rose

Jan 16, 2007, 12:56 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toddmc] Tile Shopping Dolores Hidalgo or Santa Rosa

Can't Post |
Save yourself the trip to Dolores by buying right in Morelia.

Ing. Jose Luis Alvarez Garcia
Arq. en Barra (on Acueducto)
315-7553
Jose Luis sells tile and brick and is seriously into cactus-growing,
but he knows where to find everything and is worth knowing.

The store is located on the lateral on the south side, just beyond
Ace. He has a good display, catalogs, and a truck going to Dolores
weekly. He can get it for you less expensively than you can by
driving to Dolores.

Cynthia7

Jan 16, 2007, 7:25 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6270 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Tile Shopping Dolores Hidalgo or Santa Rosa

It has been my experience that many times builders or architects don't know how to figure how much tile to buy. It would be a good idea if you had a drawing with dimensions or try to figure it yourself..just to have a rough idea. Cortez does make tile with a little higher fire so it chips less. Don't forget to buy the tile for the shower floor with slip proof lines in it..if you have a shower. Santa Rosa tile has a different glaze that the regular talavera.

cdubee

Mar 19, 2007, 7:31 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Tile Shopping Dolores Hidalgo or Santa Rosa

IMHO it is important not to buy low-fire tiles no matter how beautiful they look. They are susceptible to temperature changes which, over time, increases the fine cracks and lines and makes them vulnerable to water damage.

jerezano

Mar 20, 2007, 9:21 AM

Post #6 of 7 (6101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] Tile Shopping Dolores Hidalgo or Santa Rosa

Hello Cynthia 7 said: >> Don't forget to buy the tile for the shower floor with slip proof lines in it..if you have a shower.

Absolutely true, but don't forget the bathroom floor either.

I have fallen twice in motels and hotels with slippery bathroom floors where I was trying to reach a towel. Wet feet on smooth tiles just don't work. They are worse than ice skates.

Not many motels or hotels here in Mexico provide a bathroom mat for use outside the shower. Life can be dangerous here.

Of course in your own home you will safeguard against the possibility of falling, won't you?

Adiós. jerezano.

Papirex

Mar 20, 2007, 11:33 AM

Post #7 of 7 (6092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Tile Shopping Dolores Hidalgo or Santa Rosa

Jerezano, The slippery tiles in showers and bathrooms in México led me to adopt the use of the shower shoes that many Mexicans use, several decades ago. That reminded me of my days as a young American GI when we all wore “clogs” in the shower as a defense against contracting athletes’ foot infection.

Those “clogs” were simply a wooden sole with a canvas strap across the arch of the foot. The shower shoes I use today have plastic soles, with adjustable Velcro fastened straps over the arch of the foot. The ones I have seem to be absolutely slip proof. I wonder whatever happened to athletes’ foot? I never read anything about it anymore.

Due to the usual absence of bath mats in Mexican hotels, we always carry our shower shoes with us when we travel here. On a trip in 2004 with my wife and suegra, we were staying overnight in a hotel in Queretero and in the morning they discovered that they had both forgotten to pack their shower shoes. That’s when the adjustable arch straps on my shower shoes proved to be very handy. We were all able to share one set of shower shoes on that trip. Maybe there is a Spanish name for them, but I still call them Shower shoes.

Another advantage to using them for me is that when they were puppies, our two dogs were paper trained in the shower. They are basically housedogs. About once a week, there might be a yellow stain in the shower in the morning. If Doris sees it, she goes ballistic, and gets a mop and bucket with soapy water and Clorox in it and cleans and disinfects the shower floor.

I just put on my shower shoes and take my shower. The floor cleans itself. The shoes protect me from any possible infection. Proof of this is that I have never had distemper, caught the mange, or had fleas.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4