Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Anonimo

Mar 15, 2007, 6:24 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2516 views)

Shortcut

Grutas y Balneario de Tolantongo, Est Hidalgo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi; any of you ever visited the Grutas and balneario de Tolantongo, in the State of Hidalgo? It's beyond Ixmilquilpan and Cardonal. We have been considering a visit.
I'm especially interested in the hotel. Is it ok? Nothing fancy is fine, but is it in good shape and clean?

Saludos,
Anonimo

CRAZBS

Mar 19, 2007, 10:03 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Grutas y Balneario de Tolantongo, Est Hidalgo

Hi,
We visited Tolantongo(try their website: grutastolantongo.com.mx)in Jan. and it was wonderful, well worth the trip. The rooms were basic but clean, with private baths and very inexpensive. There was a nice balcony with our room that looked out over the river. I don't think they take reservations, you just have to go and take your chances. The cave was great, you could spend half a day in it and the river is fun, you just find a spot to tuck into and lay back and let the warm water run over you. We noticed people picking up the rocks in the water and rubbing them together, which made kind of a paste of the minerals that they rubbed on their faces and skin, then they let it dry and rinsed it off. We tried it and I can say that my skin has not been that soft since I was 6 months old!! They have a restaurant, but we found that the little open air place down by the river had much better food(and coffee!!) The restaurant only had decaf instant. There is a small store where you can buy snacks and drinks but if you want anything more I would take a cooler stocked with stuff because you are not going to want to drive back up that mountain for anything once you get there. Bring your own towels, the ones they provide(if you can get them)are very small and thin. The next time I go I would take some kind of over the door or snap-lock hooks, there was not one place to hang anything in the room, no closet, hook, hanger, nothing! Also, do not leave early in the morning if you can help it. We left before 8am because we wanted to make good time to our next destination. BIG MISTAKE! The workers who have to be there by 8 or 8:30am and are running late come barreling down the mountain at breakneck speed, most of the time in your lane and trust me, once you see the hairpin curves, shear dropoffs and no guardrails, you will understand why it is better to wait till after the shift change. If you have to leave early, bring depends!!

Anonimo

Apr 26, 2007, 6:27 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2414 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CRZ] Grutas y Balneario de Tolantongo, Est Hidalgo

Great reply, and I wish I'd seen it before we left. It agrees with our experiences except that we exited at 9:30 a.m. Also, I didn't know about the mineral rub for the skin. We had a good supper in the nicer, upper restaurant. The lower cocina economica was ok, but in a construction zone.

Here are some photos that I posted this a.m.
http://picasaweb.google.com/...dalgoMXico42507135PM

I've also blogged an fairly lengthy account of our visit at http://enpaisaje.blogspot.com/...d-to-tolantongo.html

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Apr 29, 2007, 7:55 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4