Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Sally

Dec 20, 2001, 12:36 PM

Post #1 of 9 (5598 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
We are crossing into Mexico at Laredo around Jan. 6 or so, and plan on going to Monterrey, Victoria and then picking up 180 to Merida. Would anyone know of "pet friendly" accomodations along this route? (20 lb schnauzer) Not sure of the time sequence so could use some adivce as well on driving times and places to stop overnight. Thank you in advance for sharing your information.
Sally <p>

CCK

Dec 20, 2001, 5:19 PM

Post #2 of 9 (5595 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
: We are crossing into Mexico at Laredo around Jan. 6 or so, and plan on going to Monterrey, Victoria and then picking up 180 to Merida. Would anyone know of "pet friendly" accomodations along this route? (20 lb schnauzer) Not sure of the time sequence so could use some adivce as well on driving times and places to stop overnight. Thank you in advance for sharing your information.
: Sally <p>: <p>

CCK

Dec 20, 2001, 5:24 PM

Post #3 of 9 (5595 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
A firm answer to the question of where dogs are permitted to stay in hotel rooms is not possible. If you speak enough Spanish to ask for permission, that's probably the best to do when you check in. The hotels with lobby entry are more likely to refuse.<p>Some people check in first, leaving the pupper in the vehicle until after they get settled inside and then sneak the pooch inside. We've used combinations of both above-mentioned methods, and our dog has spent an occasional night in the car because we were too tired to drive on and sneaking him in wasn't an option. <p>

Loco

Dec 20, 2001, 9:57 PM

Post #4 of 9 (5595 views)

Shortcut

Travels with Charlie - good reference book?

Can't Post |
"He" did quite well with his canine friend

Phil Riche

Dec 21, 2001, 9:50 PM

Post #5 of 9 (5601 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
We have driven to Cancun twice with our 25 pound Cockapoo. <p>Our experience last year was as follows:<p>We recently drove from Laredo to Cancun with our 25 pound Cockapoo and stayed in 5 hotels on the way down. I was apprehensive about finding hotels that accept dogs but we always were able to find a hotel that accepted our dog and were only told absolutely not at 2 hotels. In Monterrey we stopped at the Hampton Inn and I was not able to convince them to accept the dog. We stopped at the Holiday Inn down the street and although their first response was that they don't accept pets, they did say we could stay after I explained that our dog was small, had a cage, and was well behaved. They did say there would be a charge for any damage.<p>We stopped the next night in Tampico at the Siessta Inn and although the girl told me no I sent my wife in and she talked her into it.<p>The next night we stayed at Hotel Palmar south of Poza Rica and north of Nautla along the gulf and they accepted the dog without any problem. This is called the Emerald Coast and the Hotel Palmar is on the gulf side of the road not too far from where the road starts going along the coast. The hotel is not the best but it is cheap and fairly clean.<p>Our next stop was at Coatzacoalcos at the Hotel Terranova. I had to talk the manager into accepting the dog and she agreed only after I said I would keep the dog in her crate. She even looked at it to verify that we had one and the bellboy stayed while we set it up.<p>Our last stop was at Ciudad del Carmen. Here the Holiday Inn said absolutely not. My wife then asked them to call other hotels to see if they accepted pets. After about 5 calls she found the Hotel Acuario that accepted pets. She had us follow the bellboy while he drove the Holiday Inn van to the hotel. We will try this procedure again. The Acuario was a small rather nice hotel that caters to Mexican business men and they had a small dog that belonged to the owners in the lobby. The best part was the price, 1/3 the Holiday Inn's.<p>This year we stopped the first night in Ciudad Victoria and stayed at the Holiday Inn. I asked if they accepted pets and was told no, but I persisted politely and the clerk first called the manager and then the general manager who finally said ok. I kept saying what a nice well behaved dog she is. I signed a paper that I wrote out that said I would be responsible for the pet. The second night we stayed at Hotel Palmar where we stayed last year. The 3rd and last night we stayed in Campeche. This was not a good experience. We drove at night and didn't get there until around 8 pm. We first asked at what used to be the Ramada Inn. It has a new name. They said no pets and there was no talking them into it. We tried another hotel near there and the clerk said no problem However when we went to go in the room he said the dog had to stay in the car. I was really mad and ready to tell him what he could do with his room, but it was late and my wife talked me out of it. We waited and took the dog into the room after he left. The place was a real dump and not fit for dogs, much less people. Good luck.<p>
: We are crossing into Mexico at Laredo around Jan. 6 or so, and plan on going to Monterrey, Victoria and then picking up 180 to Merida. Would anyone know of "pet friendly" accomodations along this route? (20 lb schnauzer) Not sure of the time sequence so could use some adivce as well on driving times and places to stop overnight. Thank you in advance for sharing your information.

Phil Riche

Dec 25, 2001, 9:41 AM

Post #6 of 9 (5596 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
Travelocity.com allows a search for hotels that accept dogs all over the world including Mexico.<p>: We are crossing into Mexico at Laredo around Jan. 6 or so, and plan on going to Monterrey, Victoria and then picking up 180 to Merida. Would anyone know of "pet friendly" accomodations along this route? (20 lb schnauzer) Not sure of the time sequence so could use some adivce as well on driving times and places to stop overnight. Thank you in advance for sharing your information.

CCK

Dec 25, 2001, 8:17 PM

Post #7 of 9 (5595 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
So does Travelweb.com, but unfortunately our experience is that hotel personnel on the scene don't have a clue about what's on their website. So you have to do the spiel, anyway!

Sally

Dec 29, 2001, 11:08 PM

Post #8 of 9 (5596 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
: Thanks ffor all the information - very helpful Sally <p>: <p>

Walter Verlage Bohem

May 24, 2002, 5:59 PM

Post #9 of 9 (5596 views)

Shortcut

travels with the dog

Can't Post |
I am the owner of the Siessta Inn Hotels and I am proud to hear your wish was satisfied. Even if usually we dont aceptt pets, some time we make an exception.
I hope your stay in our hotel was O.K.
Siessta Inn Hotels are Family owned hotels and we one in Gonzalez,Tamaulipas and one in Tampico,Tamaulipas.
Regards:
Walter Verlage Boehm

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4