Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

jerezano

Mar 18, 2007, 12:14 PM

Post #1 of 19 (9778 views)

Shortcut

Tepic a mountain village? Coffee farms and villagers?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

Interesting the things we can find on the WWW about Mexico and our favorite cities. I am very fond of Tepic, Nayarit and visit there as often as I can but I have never seen anything like the following quote:

>He spent time in mountain villages like Tepic, north of Porta Vallarta, where tan coffee beans dried piled in long rows in the sun and villagers built a pavilion and played music to honor their guests. <

The whole article about coffee can be found at

http://www.mininggazette.com/stories/articles.asp?articleID=6241

Well we are always learning new things.

Adiós. jerezano

(This post was edited by jerezano on Mar 18, 2007, 12:16 PM)

wendy devlin

Mar 18, 2007, 4:39 PM

Post #2 of 19 (9756 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Tepic a mountain village? Coffee farms and villagers?

Coincidence?

Today, being Sunday, and a day of rest:)

Indulged in a little random surfing...coming across the same article about Tepic mentioned by Jeranzo.

Blimey-limey!

Years ago, read a book titled, something like "the Golden Age of Misinformation'.
At the time, was utilizing the internet heavily as a research tool for writing.

These days, note that erronous content, facile comments and sheer opinion even bloggs, are being picked up by search engines or whatever, and related as 'news'.

Some internet posters on forums are even being quoted by 'reporters' for their (imho) ill-informed 'opinions'.

The net... source of sublime...to the ridiculous. Reader beware.

Not that I'm against opinion...everyone has 'em and we don't all see the world the same way. It's just when opinion...is quoted or inferred as 'fact'.

Ouch! That hurts:)

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Mar 18, 2007, 4:45 PM)

Bloviator

Mar 19, 2007, 6:37 AM

Post #3 of 19 (9721 views)

Shortcut

How old was the article? Tepic was probably a small village at one time and though it was primarily a sugar producing town, they might have been drying Nayarit coffee beans somewhere. If one is used to only coastal areas, Tepic at 3,000 foot elevation might seem to be a mountain town.

They sell Nayarit coffee at the Animal Shelter in the Chapala area. I've been meaning to buy some to find out how it compares to Oaxaca and Chiapas coffee, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Has anyone experienced Nayarit coffee? How does it taste? Where is it grown? Do they really dry it in the plaza in Tepic? How have I missed seeing them doing so?

I understand that Nayarit coffee is extremely mild. Is that the case.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Mar 19, 2007, 6:47 AM)

jerezano

Mar 19, 2007, 1:09 PM

Post #4 of 19 (9696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Tepic a mountain village? Coffee farms and villagers?

Hello dlyman6500,

Apparently you didn't go to the url and read the article. Recommend you do so. It will tell you when it was written.

Tepic has been a large city for so many years and generations that it cannot be thought of as a Mountain Village since days of my great, possibly great-great grandfather and I am 80 years old.

So, obviously you haven't been to Tepic yet either. And that's a shame since I think you are living in the Ajijic area--even though a newbie?--and Tepic is only two hours away. You really need to go to Tepic to see if anybody is drying coffee beans in the plaza. If you find them doing so send me a telegram because I want to see that too.

Nayarit coffee is good. You will find the first shade grown mountain coffee plants in the coastal range between Tepic and Los Cocos on the beach. There is a small coffee shop which will roast to order about halfway down the mountain (lower elevation than Tepic) in the first large "mountain village" through which you pass. I like the dark roast better than I do the American Roast of Oaxaca or Veracruz. But then I can say the same about almost any dark roast. They will grind to order as well. I usually stop on the way down to Los Cocos, place my order and then pick up the coffee on the way back up. It's an hour from Tepic to Los Cocos and it is all S curves down that mountain.

Adiós. jerezano.

wendy devlin

Mar 19, 2007, 1:51 PM

Post #5 of 19 (9690 views)

Shortcut

The article listed below is really old:)

Not as old as myself(54) but written about eight years, describing an experience, that took place around 14 years ago. When I was a very green gringa:)

The plantation mentioned, was located quite close to Los Cocos and for a family who had never visited a coffee finca, it was interesting.

A fellow who's Mexican wife's grand-mother is la señora mentioned in the story, actually wrote me after reading the article when it was published on Mexconnect.

Later he and I discussed and worked together to try to bring about the family's vision of an eco-camp-ground on that same property. However, the man developed an extreme heart condition...and last time I looked, the web-site for the project no longer exists.

However also had a number of travel/personal experiences with people around there, that...sharpened my Mexican street smarts!

Many states in Mexico vary considerably from each other in socio-cultural background. Perhaps it's prudent practice not, to consider one place completely like another.

Or so have found.

http://www.mexconnected.com/...in/wdcoffeehike.html

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Mar 19, 2007, 1:55 PM)

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Mar 19, 2007, 8:51 PM

Post #6 of 19 (9658 views)

Shortcut

Re: Nayarit coffee

A few years old, but still relevant:

Nayarit Coffee 101

FWIW,

-- K.H.

The Disciple lamented, "Master! Why is my life beset with problems?!"
The Master observed, "Only tourists step in dog droppings."

Bloviator

Mar 20, 2007, 6:04 AM

Post #7 of 19 (9643 views)

Shortcut

OK, so Tepic was never a small town - though I doubt it. I've been there several times and have read considerably about it. I was joking as the comment about drying coffee beans in the plaza of the small mountain town seemed totally out of touch with reality.

Must admit, I did not read the article as if the rest was as incorrect as the part given, it would have been a waste of time.

When I began the forum topic on Tepic several months ago that provided extensive information about Tepic, I believe I began it with an extensive posting from you that was excellent and informative - with your permission of course.

jerezano

Mar 20, 2007, 9:12 AM

Post #8 of 19 (9628 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Gramted Mr. Lyman,

I completely missed your sarcasm about the coffee article and Tepic. (Although when it spoke about coffee it was interesting.) I am not quick on the uptake and I had forgotten your extensive thread on Tepic. Mea Culpa. Adiós. jerezano.

Bloviator

Mar 20, 2007, 3:42 PM

Post #9 of 19 (9605 views)

Shortcut

No problem. We all owe you a lot for you insights on the Tepic discussion of several months ago and for your many other pearls of wisdom.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I hope to be anywhere near as active, alert, and with as good a memory as you when I reach 81 in the not too far distant future.

Sometimes I'm way too cute for my own good. I was trying to sound stupid and ignorant and obviously succeeded beyond my fondest dreams.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Mar 20, 2007, 3:43 PM)

drfugawe

Mar 31, 2007, 6:10 AM

Post #10 of 19 (9517 views)

Shortcut

Dick,
Always has amazed me how little appreciated good coffee is in Mexico! After many ill-fated attempts to find a source of good coffee in our winter locale (Chacala, Nayarit), we found that there is a little shop on Rt 200, just N of the little bridge in La Pinita (on W side of 200). Think it's called "La Pinita Cafe Co." or something like that. They only sell roasted mountain grown Nayarit whole bean coffee in either a mild or dark roast, and by the Kilo bag. This year it was 70p a K.

This is superb coffee. In fact, it's difficult to compare anything else available with this stuff - nothing else we had came even close. I guess what that says is that the temptation to cut corners is alive and well in the Mexican coffee industry.
john

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

Bubba

Mar 31, 2007, 10:35 AM

Post #11 of 19 (9496 views)

Shortcut

I´ve never tried Nayarit coffee and have no idea as to its quality. I published some statistics regarding coffee production in each Mexican state producing measurable amounts of coffee which includes Nayarit. For those of you who have an interest, the statistics are displayed in the Southern Mexico Forum.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 31, 2007, 11:12 AM)

jerezano

Mar 31, 2007, 12:37 PM

Post #12 of 19 (9484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Tepic a mountain village? Coffee farms and villagers?

Hello,.

Bubba said:>> I´ve never tried Nayarit coffee and have no idea as to its quality. I published some statistics regarding coffee production in each Mexican state producing measurable amounts of coffee which includes Nayarit. For those of you who have an interest, the statistics are displayed in the Southern Mexico Forum.<<

Bubba has surprised me. Reading his posts I have always marveled at how many places he has been in México and how he has investigated the food at each. "...never tried Nayarit coffee" and does this mean he never once went to Tepic or the Nararit beaches? Hard to believe.

Anyway, the quality of the dark roast mountain-grown-in-the shade coffee from Nayarit is superb. Just as good as, or perhaps better than the Oaxaca coffee, the Veracruz coffee and any commercial coffee which has not been selected and blended and sold at very high prices.

Also, for someone who is living in the Ajijic area not to have visited Tepic is almost unbelievable. Two hours on the bus(more like 3 if you transit Guadalajara) with roll forward of an hour (Tepic is on Mountain Time) gets you there in the late morning or early afternoon. A subtropical climate at about 2000 feet elevation,(a friend living there claims it is the nearest climate in México to Honolulu, Hawaii where he lived as a young manager of a Jack in the Box restaurant), not hot like Oaxaca, and once out of the city visiting the delightful pueblos surrounding the city can be an experience in encountering the real México. Tepic is not a colonial city. Not much colonial architecture. But it has always been a fairly prosperous state from its agricultural and mining products. Now with two huge dams it will become a fishing paradise--in fact with the one completed some years back it has already become a Mecca for tour groups of fishermen. The new dam must be filling up since the first hydroelectric generating unit was recently inaugurated. And just another hour to the beach at Los Cocos, another half hour to San Blas, another 45 minutes to the legendary birthplace of the Aztec tribes. Seafood extraordinary, there in San Blas a hotel restaurant which runs a school of French Cuisine. Roast Duck for Christmas? How could anyone pass by a visit at least?

San Blas has a history of its own. Galleons were built there for the Manilla Fleet and it was then as important a port as Acapulco.

Coffee? If it were not early afternoon and time to comer I would make a cup of coffee. I guess I'll wait.

Adiós. jerezano.

Bubba

Mar 31, 2007, 2:34 PM

Post #13 of 19 (9476 views)

Shortcut

Jerezano:

We wouldn´t be trying to have a little fun and pull Bubba´s chain now would we? Bubba may be a southern redneck but he knows when he´s being shined on. I have seen Nayarit coffee at Lake Chapala. I think they sell it at the animal shelter in Riberas but I have never tried it as I steadfastly refuse to buy packaged coffee no matter its origin except for the fabulous canned Illy Cafe from Italy which costs a fortune at Lakeside.

If you read my post under the Southern Mexico forum, you know that coffee production in Nayarit is insignificant. 900 primarily small growers cultivating 1,300 hectares. Now, that doesn´t mean it´s not excellent but might account for the fact that Nayarit coffee is hard to find.

Yes, I have been to Tepic, San Blas and the Nayarit beaches. They seem nice enough places although Tepic seems a bit of a plain jane town but I´m sure it has much to offer. As Jerezano knows, Bubba´s first love in Mexico is the south of the country, not the Central/Northern Pacific or Northern regions in general. I do, however, hope to visit Jerezano´s territory some day, especially Zacatecas. If I never see San Blas again it will be too soon.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 31, 2007, 2:58 PM)

Bubba

Mar 31, 2007, 6:17 PM

Post #14 of 19 (9456 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Tepic a mountain village? Coffee farms and villagers?

Jerezano:

Speaking of Nayarit coffe, I just remembered that we have a friend in Florida who has been trying to get his hands on an antique coffee mortero and contacted a source in Tepic who found one for him in Coatepec, Veracruz in the heart of that state´s coffee growing region. We have agreed to pick it up in Coatepec on our next drive from San Cristóbal to Ajijic and I thought you might like to know the name of the contact in Tepic who, I believe, runs a coffee museum open to the public in that city. I believe these folks export green coffee beans but you can find out more, perhaps by contacting:

Jaime Luna
Cafes Sustenables de Mexico
Prol. P. Sanchez 475 Ote.
Col. Caja de Aqua
Tepic
(311) 210 35 99

You inspired me to read up on some literature regarding Nayarit´s growers who are small but apparently produce coffee of excellent coffee. I learn something new every day. I think Caes Sustenables´ web site might have some interesting background information.

I don´t know that I´ll be taking a lot of Nayarit coffee to Chiapas, Oaxaca and Veracruz, however. They may run me out on a rail.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 31, 2007, 6:27 PM)

drfugawe

Apr 3, 2007, 6:12 AM

Post #15 of 19 (9404 views)

Shortcut

jerezano wrote: "... there in San Blas a hotel restaurant which runs a school of French Cuisine."

We winter on the Nayarit coast, this last trip in Chacala, some 50k S of San Blas. Reluctantly I admit that I've always found the promise and potential of San Blas to be out-weighed by reality. However, I'm ready and willing to be guilty of ignorance. Could you provide additional info on the location of your said French cooking school there, and/or other facts that would instill in me again the desire to search out the hidden elements of interest in San Blas? I'd love that!

TIA jerazano,
john

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Mencken
____________###

db52

Apr 3, 2007, 10:12 PM

Post #16 of 19 (9374 views)

Shortcut

I just got home a couple days ago as you know, Jerezano, and am just now catching up on my reading. That quote you pulled is truly "snork-worthy" and it turns out this stuff was published in some newspaper near my neck of the woods!

Anyway, yes, I've brought some Nayarit coffee home to Michigan on three occasions, the first kilo having been given to me (or "gifted" to me as the youngsters say these days) by a young fellow I met on the street whose father owned a farm and the other two times (the latest being about a month ago) purchased from a little store on a corner near the (non-plaza) end of the market. The wife and I both like it just fine and she ordered me to bring back some more, although this time it is the Chiapas variety.

Well, neither of us are coffee snobs in any case, but this stuff seems just fine also.

sioux4noff

Apr 11, 2007, 10:33 PM

Post #17 of 19 (9315 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drfugawe] Tepic a mountain village? Coffee farms and villagers?

I second the recommendation of the place in La Penita. Some friends from Seattle and others from Portland have been very happy with the Nayarit coffee. They are self-proclaimed coffee snobs.
I am not a coffee snob, I even will drink Nescafe. I also like the La Penita coffee and enjoy visiting the sho[. For the 70 pesos a kg you can get regular or dark roast, ground or whole beans. And they will pack it in 2 bags of 1/2 k each which keeps it fresher.

Bloviator

Apr 12, 2007, 4:53 AM

Post #18 of 19 (9310 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Tepic a mountain village? Coffee farms and villagers?

Just finishing my 1/2 kilo of Nayarit coffee purchased recently from the Ajijic (Riberas) Animal Shelter. I like it fine - sort of a burnt taste - but not as well as my usual - less expensive - French Roast combination Chiapas/Vera Cruz. So, the end of this experiment.

They willl have to dry their coffee beans in the town plaza of that delightful little mountain town of Tepic without the expectation of having me as a regular customer.

sioux4noff

Apr 12, 2007, 7:15 AM

Post #19 of 19 (9302 views)

Shortcut

If that one type of Nayarit coffee is the only one available to you, I can see calling the experiment a failure.
Otherwise, "writing off" Nayarit coffee based on one sample would be like deciding you don't like hamburgers based on one trip to McDonalds.
Last month in Puerto Vallarta there was an event called "Explo Regional" featuring products from various vendors in Jalisco and Nayarit. I sampled coffee from several different companies and bought the one I liked the best. The owner of the company was there at the booth. It is from Cafe Nueva Galacia, Abasolo 76 Norte, Compostela Nayarit. Telephone 327-277-1645.
The Explo is fun because there are samples of coffee, tequila, cheese, candy, and many things for sale. It is held in the main plaza by the Presidencia in Puerto Vallarta.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4