Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mary  McDermott

Dec 21, 2001, 8:55 AM

Post #1 of 5 (3263 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit

Can't Post |
I received a car permit last year when I crossed the border with a tourist visa. Since then I have obtained an FM-3, yet the car permit has expired. Do I need to obtain a new car permit indicating that I now have an FM3, or can I continue to drive on this expired permit as my visa is current? I am presently in the United States and plan to reenter Mexico in two weeks. Should I have given up this car permit at the border? Should I anticpate problems reentering Mexico? Thanks for your help...

Esteban

Dec 22, 2001, 11:08 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3256 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit

Can't Post |
Definitely get a new permit. Turn in your paperwork when you re-enter and get a new "temporary importation permit". If you have copies of your FM-3, your drivers license, your vehicle title and your passport, you should have no problem.

Russell Kveton

Dec 23, 2001, 10:28 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3256 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit - Where and When was FM3 received?

Can't Post |
If you got your FM3 in Mexico, and you had to surrender you Tourist Card in the process, you do not have to get a new car permit. It is good as long as you keep the FM3 current, including renewals, so you have nothing to worry about, just show your FM3. This topic has been beat to death on the various Mexico Connect Forums, and I think we all finally agree that a new permit under these circumstances is not necessary.<p>If you came back with you tourist card and did not return to Mexico before the expiration of the car permit and got you FM3 at a Mexican Consulate in the U.S. them I'm not sure what you situation is, maybe someone else can comment.

Esteban

Dec 23, 2001, 5:48 PM

Post #4 of 5 (3256 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit - Where and When was FM3 received?

Can't Post |
I agree with what Russ is saying but since a new permit is so easily obtained, I'd still get a new one.

Jerezano

Dec 27, 2001, 8:10 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3268 views)

Shortcut

Car Permit

Can't Post |
Hello: In general, your answer is no problem. However, see the details below.>> Since then I have obtained an FM-3, yet the car permit has expired. Do I need to obtain a new car permit indicating that I now have an FM3, or can I continue to drive on this expired permit as my visa is current? << No, you do not need a new permit. The Ley Aduenera states that once you have the FM-3, (assuming you got it before your car permit expired) your existing car permit is automatiacally extended to the date at which your FM3 terminates. Unfortunately a lot of adueneros do not know this. You may have to argue and ask to see the officer in charge. I carry a copy of the Ley Aduenera with me and have had to show it twice over the years at the Reynosa crossing. You can get a copy of the pertinent clauses by making a Google search for Ley Aduenera +Mexico. Unfortunately you will need to read Spanish to understand what you get. >> I am presently in the United States and plan to reenter Mexico in two weeks. <<Theoretically you will have no problem. Simply show your FM3, point out the termination date and yell like hell if you need to that as a permanent resident in Mexico the Ley Aduenera states that your car is permitted until that date terminates. Evenutally a supervising officer who knows the rules should allow you to enter. >>> Should I have given up this car permit at the border?<<< No, you should not have done so. It is important that you preserve this permit, also the decal on your window and only when you take the car out of Mexico permanently, you will need to stop at the bank, show your permit, have an aduenero scrape the decal off the window and get a free Comprobante that you have returned the car permanently to the USA. You will need to guard this Comprobante like gold, because if you try to enter Mexico with a new car, if you don't have the Comprobante, you will be denied entry. Unless you are lucky and they do not run your name through the computer. I was lucky once. >>>Should I anticpate problems reentering Mexico? <<< No. With the caveats mentioned above, a bit of patience and if you can get it the Ley Aduenera will smooth your way. Good luck. Jerezano.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4