Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

wendy devlin

Mar 17, 2007, 11:18 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3997 views)

Shortcut

Son Jarocho

Can't Post | Private Reply
On a recent coffee thread, people are discussing the music of Veracruz...it's distinctive character.

If you want some beginning information about Son Jarocho, musical tradition, read Janice Carraher's two articles archived on the Mexconnect author's index.

Janice and I became e-pals many years ago. During numerous email discussions, she described how she travelled to Veracruz over the years, to specifically learn how to play in the musical style of the region.

Her stories describe some of her experiences. Still remember her tales of going off into the countryside to play at weddings and fiestas with her Mexican musician friends, once she became more accomplished at this music.

Janice was preparing when last we communicated, to go and live 'forever' in Veracruz. Just before she disappeared into the country, I convinced her to submit several stories to Mexconnect.

Hope that these stories whet your appetite for Son Jarocho:)

http://www.mexconnected.com/...ar/jccalandaria.html

trpt2345

Mar 18, 2007, 9:03 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Son Jarocho

Thanks, Wendy, Janice's articles were some of the first things I read when I joined Mexico Connect. A big part of the reason I love Veracruz so much is the music. If and when we get there that's one of the things I hope to study further.

Michael McLaughlin

wendy devlin

Mar 19, 2007, 2:04 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3952 views)

Shortcut

Re: [trpt2345] Son Jarocho

Mr. Mike,

In your future musical adventures, should you meet a tall señora(more than 5' 4") que tiene el edad del madura who's playing....

...fantastically at a party in Veracruz.

Sidle up to her and ask, "Señorita Carraher, I presume:)"

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Mar 19, 2007, 2:05 PM)

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Mar 19, 2007, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Son Jarocho

Wendy y amigos costeños:
I read Janice article a while back and really enjoyed it. La Candelaria is a wonderful fiesta, as is Tlacotalpan. Here is a page of photos you might enjoy of the interesting town... http://travel.webshots.com/...61297037800624uxHhZy
Fortunately I live just up the street from "El Patio Muñoz" which is a vecindad(communal living area) where half of the rooms are inhabited by people who have rented there for generations and the other half by artisans, on of whom is Ramon Gutierrez, director of the group "Son de Madera", as well as an excellent jarana(like a ukaleili?) and incredible musician. Usually there is a Fandango once a month, with singing and dancing going on all night long. It is like having Tlacotalpan just down the street without the heat!
¡Hasta pronto, amigos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4