Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

S & C

Mar 14, 2007, 2:25 PM

Post #26 of 36 (2267 views)

Shortcut

Re: [S & C] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

Can't Post | Private Reply
Actually the chinese place was Mr. Lao's not Cho's. Sorry.
Stan

Bubba

Mar 14, 2007, 2:48 PM

Post #27 of 36 (2265 views)

Shortcut

AAARRRGGGHHH!

How can you guys eat that crappy seafood in Quintana Roo and expect to have even a modicum of respectability. The seafood there is almost universally dreadful. Inedible and disgusting without pre-dinner tequila or rum.Dangerous in its mishandling. Have you no standards? Have you ever had a sublime seafood dinner in the U.S. Northeast or Europe? The seafood in Southern Mexico along the Caribbean, is completely without flavor or texture and the local chefs are undisiplined drunks without a hint as to how to prepare a fish meal. Even the locals won´t eat that crap.

And, Chinese food at Playa del Carmen? Have you lost your mind?

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 14, 2007, 2:52 PM)

roni_smith

Mar 14, 2007, 3:57 PM

Post #28 of 36 (2258 views)

Shortcut

We went to La Floresta in December, having enjoyed it in 2003. Man was I disappointed. I am convinced they changed the batter recipe from something light and scrumptious to something heavy and not so scrumptious :).

Babes has a second location in North Playa now, on 5th north of 26th a block or three. We at at the one on Calle 10 in December. Kathy loved the Vietnamese Shrimp salad and I the Swedish meatballs and we both loved the smell of garlic coming out of the kitchen.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

yucatandreamer

Mar 14, 2007, 4:59 PM

Post #29 of 36 (2251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

How about cream cheese and fish sushi? That is the speciality of our local Japanese restaurants, The best Chinese food here in Merida is about as good as your average suburban strip mall place anywhere in North America. On my last trip to Vancouver I headed straight for the Vietnamese, Japanese and Chinese Restaurants. I also bought good bread, baking potatoes, sweetcorn and green vegetables that were really green
So far I have found that most restaurants here border on the not so good. In fact the last two times I went to my former favorite place, Hacienda Xcanatun, I found the meals to be only O.K. Even the good places serve more than their fair share of foreign objects and bits of bone. I don't know about seafood in Quintana Roo but here in the Yucatan it is a scary proposition. We almost always stick to fried fish which generally is OK, but sometimes even if the fish is not old the fry fat is ancient. I agree with many other posters, if you want good food in Yucatan, cook it yourself.

(This post was edited by yucatandreamer on Mar 14, 2007, 5:02 PM)

roni_smith

Mar 14, 2007, 6:58 PM

Post #30 of 36 (2237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

Cook it yourself??

Tacos al pastor myself??

I don't think so. Maybe I am demasiado proletartiat
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

sfmacaws

Mar 14, 2007, 8:26 PM

Post #31 of 36 (2227 views)

Shortcut

Ooops! Sorry Stan. I forgot I wasn't supposed to tell. I ate at La Floresta yesterday and thought it was as great as ever.

Today though, I tried Dr Taco which is owned by my pond forum friend's step-brother. How's that for a few degrees of separation. I met the owner, told him hi from his sister in San Diego, and braced myself for whatever came. They were fantastic fish tacos. I have to say I think they are better than La Floresta, although a lot more testing is needed ;) Certainly the sauces were incredible and there was a larger selection. His sister had told me that they buy the ingredients daily for the sauces and I believe it. The chipotle mango was especially good.

Dr. Taco is next door to Mr Lao's and around the corner from Babe's. It's a good eating block. We watched Mr Lao's get remodeled and open and you are right, it always looked empty so we never went in. It's on the list now too. Shoot, I only have about a week left to try these new places.

You know Bubba, along with being the fastest growing city in Mexico, Playa del Carmen probably has the most diverse population of any city in Mexico. Along with that has come some pretty darn good restaurants, owned by Mexicans from all over the Republic as well as Euros from all over that continent, and a splattering of people from other continents too.

If you came back and tried it you might find something you like although you would still be able to b*tch about the prices, they are high. Still, it beats paying high prices for bad food or even low prices for bad food.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

yucatandreamer

Mar 14, 2007, 10:41 PM

Post #32 of 36 (2220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

I am really looking forward to some variety, even if I gotta pay. All I ask is that the food is fresh and well prepared(and no foreign objects). No I don't make tacos al pastor at home, but don't eat them out very often either. I can only eat so much of the two food groups in the Yucatan, fat and sugar. As much as I enjoy both, my body rebels.

Papirex

Mar 14, 2007, 11:55 PM

Post #33 of 36 (2215 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

It took most of my life, but I finally learned this:

A balanced diet is a piece of chocolate in each hand.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sfmacaws

Mar 15, 2007, 1:10 AM

Post #34 of 36 (2211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

One thing I know you'd like at Babe's, Bubba. They make a mean Mojito.

We did make the mistake of trying the chinese place out on the highway. Strip mall in Duluth.

I happen to also really like the shrimp pizza at Pizza Pazzo (something like that) also on 10th. Pizza is something though that everyone has a different idea of how it should be so I always hesitate to recommend it.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

sfmacaws

Mar 15, 2007, 1:16 AM

Post #35 of 36 (2210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

Rex, did you see this? http://www.nutraingredients.com/...anols-cocoa-cocoavia

It even turns out that the chocolate could be good for you.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

S & C

Mar 15, 2007, 12:20 PM

Post #36 of 36 (2181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Tourist Prices on the Riviera Maya

Speaking of Chocolate there are 2 places we know of in Playa that has great Chocolate.
The first is on 5th ave at the north end of the walkway. On the corner of Constituyentes. They sell chacolate bars and pieces as well as chocolate drinks and coffees.
The other is a small place a few blocks up on Constituyentes, around 15th or so. On the south side of the street there were about 4 or 5 shops in a row and one sells essential oils and chocolates. The Chocs are from a friend that makes it in Merida. The quality is the same but this store is cheaper by $1/bar but they don't sell drinks.

OK Bubba, I guess you'll have something to say about our chocolate too...

Getting back to the chinese food issue, We have always liked chinese and loved to go into the China town district when we were living in Philly. Mr Lao's in Playa was quite good and nice for a change, Hola Asia in Puerto Morelos was excelent when he was cooking there, and you can't beat Babe's Thai food.

One other thing, we also like to eat Italian while in Mexico. I quess that's a non-no as well...
Stan
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4