Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Andy

Dec 28, 2001, 1:32 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3485 views)

Shortcut

Loredo to Melaque

Can't Post |
Can anyone give me the best route from Loredo Tx to Melaque with sites and accomodations along the way. We'd appreciate it.<p>Driving down in 3 weeks

Bob in Iowa

Dec 28, 2001, 3:53 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3492 views)

Shortcut

Loredo to Melaque

Can't Post |
Andy--
First, if you are inexperienced at driving through Mexico, get a copy of the People's Guide to Mexico by Franz. I also suggest getting an Atlas de Carreteras (road atlas) which you can order online from gonetomorrow.com, among other places.
From Laredo, take the main (only) highway south towards Monterrey. After about 50 miles or so, you will have the option of taking the autopista or "quota," the toll road. It is expensive (maybe $16) but worth it unless you're really doing this on the cheap. Follow it into the north edge of Monterrey. Be careful of the speed limits here - sometimes there are speed traps. Watch for signs to Saltillo - "quota" if you want to take the much faster toll road. At the outskirts of Saltillo, there will be a well marked turnoff to, as I recall, Mexico (as in the city) and or Matehuala. If you want to aviod going through Saltillo (a large city), you can use this toll bypass. Stay on this road for perhaps 20 miles until you see a sign for Zacatecas. This road will lead you back to highway 54. A good place to stop is Concepcion del Oro, about 150 miles north of Zac. There are two reasonably priced roadside motels here. You may also go on to Zacatecas. Hotels here are expensive, I've found. The beautiful Aristos is on the top of the hill overlooking the city - about $60 US - ask for the discount. There is also a pleasant hostel if you want to venture into town - contact elozano7@hotmail.com. The name is Hostel Villa Colonial.
South of Zac. about 50 miles is an ancient ruin that has been restored somewhat - Chichomostoc. It is worth a visit.
I should add that many people going to the coast go from Zac. to Aguascalientes and then to Guadalajara. I've done it both ways, but prefer staying on 54 - no tolls, cheaper, better scenery, etc. but there is some thrilling mountain driving, slow trucks, and endless two lane highway.
Coming into Monterrey, stay on 54 (do not take the fork Federalisimo) to the periferico (bypass). This is well marked, but counterintuitive. You need to get off on the frontage road first - otherwise you will pass over the bypass but not be able to get on it.
Go about 12 miles around the bypass (watch for cops) to the Colima exit. Take it. This road is very busy and difficult to get on. The good news - there are lots of great pollo asado (grilled chicken) places along it - look for the smoke).
After perhaps 20 miles, you will come to a fork - Colima one way and Barra the other. Head for Barra. If it is late, there is a nice but cheap hotel at Union de Tula called Motel y Bungaloes La Martinica. There are also several hotels at Autlan De Navarro (birthplace of Carlos Santana).
You should be able to figure it out from there.
Good luck!
Gotta go... <p>: Can anyone give me the best route from Loredo Tx to Melaque with sites and accomodations along the way. We'd appreciate it.<p>: Driving down in 3 weeks<p>

Uncle Jack

Dec 28, 2001, 5:31 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3494 views)

Shortcut

Try the Melaque Forum

Can't Post |
Bob in Iowa seems to have given very good directions. If you want to check further, try the Melaque Forum.<p>http://www.tomzap.com/frm/list.php?f=8<p>

Bob in Iowa

Dec 29, 2001, 3:02 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3497 views)

Shortcut

little mistake..

Can't Post |
About half way down, it should read "coming into Guadalajara (NOT Monterrey), stay on highway 54..."<p>: Andy--
: First, if you are inexperienced at driving through Mexico, get a copy of the People's Guide to Mexico by Franz. I also suggest getting an Atlas de Carreteras (road atlas) which you can order online from gonetomorrow.com, among other places.
: From Laredo, take the main (only) highway south towards Monterrey. After about 50 miles or so, you will have the option of taking the autopista or "quota," the toll road. It is expensive (maybe $16) but worth it unless you're really doing this on the cheap. Follow it into the north edge of Monterrey. Be careful of the speed limits here - sometimes there are speed traps. Watch for signs to Saltillo - "quota" if you want to take the much faster toll road. At the outskirts of Saltillo, there will be a well marked turnoff to, as I recall, Mexico (as in the city) and or Matehuala. If you want to aviod going through Saltillo (a large city), you can use this toll bypass. Stay on this road for perhaps 20 miles until you see a sign for Zacatecas. This road will lead you back to highway 54. A good place to stop is Concepcion del Oro, about 150 miles north of Zac. There are two reasonably priced roadside motels here. You may also go on to Zacatecas. Hotels here are expensive, I've found. The beautiful Aristos is on the top of the hill overlooking the city - about $60 US - ask for the discount. There is also a pleasant hostel if you want to venture into town - contact elozano7@hotmail.com. The name is Hostel Villa Colonial.
: South of Zac. about 50 miles is an ancient ruin that has been restored somewhat - Chichomostoc. It is worth a visit.
: I should add that many people going to the coast go from Zac. to Aguascalientes and then to Guadalajara. I've done it both ways, but prefer staying on 54 - no tolls, cheaper, better scenery, etc. but there is some thrilling mountain driving, slow trucks, and endless two lane highway.
: Coming into Monterrey, stay on 54 (do not take the fork Federalisimo) to the periferico (bypass). This is well marked, but counterintuitive. You need to get off on the frontage road first - otherwise you will pass over the bypass but not be able to get on it.
: Go about 12 miles around the bypass (watch for cops) to the Colima exit. Take it. This road is very busy and difficult to get on. The good news - there are lots of great pollo asado (grilled chicken) places along it - look for the smoke).
: After perhaps 20 miles, you will come to a fork - Colima one way and Barra the other. Head for Barra. If it is late, there is a nice but cheap hotel at Union de Tula called Motel y Bungaloes La Martinica. There are also several hotels at Autlan De Navarro (birthplace of Carlos Santana).
: You should be able to figure it out from there.
: Good luck!
: Gotta go... <p>: : Can anyone give me the best route from Loredo Tx to Melaque with sites and accomodations along the way. We'd appreciate it.<p>: : Driving down in 3 weeks<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4