Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rolly

Mar 7, 2007, 1:59 PM

Post #1 of 42 (10133 views)

Shortcut

DST confusion

Can't Post | Private Reply
The USA will observe Daylight Savings Time (DST) starting this Sunday, March 11, 2007 – three-weeks earlier than in prior years. DST will end November 4, 2007 – one-week later than before.

Mexico, which has been observing DST similarly with the USA in recent years, has not altered its schedule and will observe DST April 1 > October 28. So, the there will be some time confusions.

Rolly Pirate

ignacio

Mar 7, 2007, 2:33 PM

Post #2 of 42 (10100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] DST confusion

Thanks Rolly, as always, you are a fountain of knowledge ! I wasn't aware that there is going to be a difference.

Papirex

Mar 7, 2007, 2:43 PM

Post #3 of 42 (10089 views)

Shortcut

I have been aware of this confusing change for a couple of months now. I have had the clock on my PC to automatically reset itself at the start and end of Daylight Savings Time.

I had the time zone set to Central Time – US. In the hope that there would be an advantage to use the setting for (GMT) –06:00 Guadalajara – Mexico City – Monterrey, I opened the clock settings a couple of weeks ago.

There are now two settings for that time zone, one, marked old, and one marked new. I changed my settings to the new one in the hope that it will take care of the potential problem. I guess I will know if that is the answer on the 11th of this month.

I use the Atomic clock Sync program to set the clock on our computers to the correct time, and we then set all our clocks and watches using the computer clock. This link http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/ will take you to the atomic clock site so you can download it, it is free. It is included in Windows XP, and there are instructions on this page for how to use it without downloading the program.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

sfmacaws

Mar 7, 2007, 5:59 PM

Post #4 of 42 (10044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] DST confusion

I use my cell phone for accurate time wherever I am. Since I change time zones frequently, it is a real boon. I have no idea how I kept up with all the changes before cell phones. I guess I didn't travel as much or I spent more time playing with the time.

Our main time distraction now is the clock in the jeep. We never reset it but we keep a running commentary going on how much ahead or behind it is. This dual DST should be fun.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

arbon

Mar 7, 2007, 5:59 PM

Post #5 of 42 (10044 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Does that mean that the cohetes will start an hour early or an hour later?

According to a gringo watch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

smokesilver

Mar 7, 2007, 6:03 PM

Post #6 of 42 (10039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] DST confusion

This thread is comical. You(plural)guys sure do have a lot to worry about. I'm smiling.

Papirex

Mar 7, 2007, 6:22 PM

Post #7 of 42 (10033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smokesilver] DST confusion

Curtis, your smile might fade if you lived in an area where knowing what time zone other people were in was important. It was a nightmare down here in Mexico a few years ago, when they had their own schedule for going on and off of Daylight Saving time.

I have family and friends, and investments in California and Alaska. If I call someone at 8AM my time, that is 6AM in California, and 5 AM in Alaska. Keeping track of the time differences in different areas of the world assumes a little more importance for some of us, than it does for others.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

jerezano

Mar 7, 2007, 7:32 PM

Post #8 of 42 (10009 views)

Shortcut

Hello all,

Yep, there will be confusion. Especially since most of us with computers will be switching automatically to Daylight Savings Time ON THE COMPUTER as it exists in the USA so for three weeks we will no longer have computers matching local time.

Remember not to set your clocks by your computer!
Remember that all your computer times will be one hour back from local time!

Is there a way to set your computer so that it will NOT change? I haven't checked since it won't bother me, but perhaps some of you will want to check.

Adiós. jerezano.

johanson

Mar 7, 2007, 7:57 PM

Post #9 of 42 (9996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] DST confusion

Yes there is a way to get your computer to not make that change. I can't remember how, but with a little time I bet one of us could find it. And darn it, I have several clocks, one in my car that is connected to XM Radio, and another in my bedroom that is updated by my sat TV provider up North that shows the time not here in Mexico, but up North that are going to change to daylight savings time this Sunday. Oh well, we have been warned that this change does not happen down here.

Papirex

Mar 7, 2007, 8:25 PM

Post #10 of 42 (9987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] DST confusion

Pete & jerezano, you are right; there is a way to configure the computer clock not to change to daylight time. Double cick on the clock display in the lower right hand corner of your screen to open the clock properties. Then click on the time zone tab in the middle of the display, and clear the check mark to automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes.

If I haven’t solved the problem by selecting the time zone for México City, Guadalajara, Monterrey (new), I think another way to display the correct time here will be to select the eastern time zone (US), that will match the present central time zone most of us are in now after The US goes on daylight time before we do here.

Pete, I too have a clock in my office that is automatically set by radio transmissions. It checks and if necessary, resets the time several times a day. I think I will need to get the user’s manual out and find out how to change the time zone it uses to the eastern US time zone so it won’t keep resetting itself if I manually set it to the local time here after the 11th of this month.

Rex

(This post was edited by RexC on Mar 7, 2007, 8:34 PM)

Bubba

Mar 7, 2007, 11:24 PM

Post #11 of 42 (9969 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, mi amigo.

Bubba and you do not observe(DST) Daylight Savings Time, we observe (MAISHT) or My Ass is Still Here Time which in and of itself is a miracle. I promise you brother that whatever these young folk do with the clock is of marginal importance to us old clowns. Soon, they, as we, will need a periscope to observe the sunrise no matter the clock.

Bloviator

Mar 8, 2007, 5:27 AM

Post #12 of 42 (9947 views)

Shortcut

As always, thanks for the good information. My computer is finally on the correct time (for a couple of days anyway) after two years of having to transpose the time in my mind when I checked it from there.

Just got back from Nor Calif. Never could get my mind into local time there, though have no trouble doing so in So. Cal. I wonder why.

Musicman

Mar 8, 2007, 9:19 AM

Post #13 of 42 (9892 views)

Shortcut

This thread reminded me of my first two weeks in Ajijic back in June of 2001. We had come to the area from Phoenix and had not realized there was a time difference. When I finally caught on to the two hour time difference, I had to laugh at myself. Needless to say, time was never an issue.

Gayla

Mar 8, 2007, 10:04 AM

Post #14 of 42 (9877 views)

Shortcut

Confusion is right Rolly, especially in the border towns!

Just think, people that live on the Mexico side of the border but work or go to school on the U.S. side are going to have to get up and commute earlier than normal because they now have to be to work earlier than normal. Ultimately, this means the border crossings are going to be more congested earlier and probabl ylonger. San Diego/Tijuana is already a nightmare, I can't imagine this will make it any easier. And people that live on the U.S. side but work on the Mexican side will leave later in the morning adding to AM commute congestion. But then they'll also leave work later meaning they'll get home later, which could mess up child care arrangements or other family obligations.

Computer time adjustments are the least of the problems. The impact on lives, schools and businesses on the border will be more substantial.

Canada, BTW, is changing to DST this weekend too. So not only is it a matter of which time zone you're in, but which time system is in place. <sigh> What a goat rope.

NEOhio1

Mar 8, 2007, 10:12 AM

Post #15 of 42 (9872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] DST confusion

indiana had no DST and the contiguous states did, it was a hassle, but everybody figured it out and adjusted well after a day or two...geez.

sfmacaws

Mar 8, 2007, 11:12 AM

Post #16 of 42 (9861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] DST confusion

Arizona also has no DST, I'll bet they are laughing now.

Down here, the old Mayan center of Felipe Carrillo Puerto (which used to be known as Chan Santa Cruz) refused to go on DST when it was introduced. They didn't like it and wouldn't do it. Eventually, they crumbled. It's an odd subject to cause so much dissension but it does, people get very agitated about it.

I recently read on a retired guys blog how he deals with time. He likes to stay up late and hates getting up early. So, he woke up one morning at dawn and set his clocks to 10am. Now, he's happy. He gets up in the afternoon, stays up most of the night and still can call his family when they are up.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

thriftqueen

Mar 8, 2007, 7:29 PM

Post #17 of 42 (9796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] DST confusion

Here in Sonora our time never changes, they say our fortunes are in pace with Arizona. It's great. However I do like the DST when in the states.

dtracy8671

Mar 9, 2007, 10:41 AM

Post #18 of 42 (9746 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] DST confusion

Bubba, you are so right. What difference does an hour one way or the other make now? Just remember the word "manana" and you will always have the correct time :-). The clock in my car is still set for DST from last year, and when I look at it for the time now, I just subtract an hour. It actually works! So, lucky me, this year I don't need to re-set it and worry about all the hassles everyone seems to be having with this. As for my computer - I could care less what time it says - it's just not that important. Have a good weekend everyone!

Brian

Mar 9, 2007, 1:11 PM

Post #19 of 42 (9722 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dtracy8671] DST confusion

In Reply To
Bubba, you are so right. What difference does an hour one way or the other make now?

It seems to make a big difference at the border which is also a part of Mexico. I'm in San Diego today and the newspapers and radio stations are reminding everyone on both sides about the coming one hour time difference between the countries. The Sentri lane schedules are being adjusted and residents of Tijuana who work or have other business in San Diego are being reminded not to trust their own watches if they plan to cross. Of course the time change is of no consequence to narcissistic expats but even they could have their lives disrupted if they disregard the time difference in travel planning or time critical financial transactions.

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Mar 9, 2007, 1:13 PM)

dtracy8671

Mar 9, 2007, 2:05 PM

Post #20 of 42 (9705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] DST confusion

"narcissistic expats"

Big word that "narcissistic", Brian. Actually I live in Dallas, and I have learned one thing at this time in my life, "We waste way too much time worrying about trivial stuff, for it isn't going to matter one way or the other in 20 years."

But, you keep on doing the worrying, Brian, someone has too.

Papirex

Mar 11, 2007, 11:16 AM

Post #21 of 42 (9612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dtracy8671] DST confusion

Well Guys, it looks like I did the right thing when I changed the time zone used by our computers clocks to (GMT-06:00) Guadalajara, México City, Monterrey - New. When I got up this morning, the clocks on all of our computers are still set the same as yesterday.

I reset the time zone used by the SioScan Atomic clock in my office to the Eastern Time zone in the US, and it is accurate this morning too. That clock receives signals via radio, and automatically resets itself several times a day. I checked the settings on it again this morning, I noticed that I had left the temperature setting for Fahrenheit; I wanted to change it to Centigrado. I then noticed that it also has an option to skip resetting for Daylight time too. I left the setting for eastern time for now, I will need to reset the clock manually when México goes on Daylight time anyway.

I noticed some members here that disparage anyone that is concerned about the accurate time. Well, maybe I am a little goofy about it. I lived for half of my life in a state that at one time had four time zones in it.

The eastern part of the state of Alaska should have been in the Yukon Time zone, it was skipped, and Pacific Time was used instead. That made a five-hour difference in time zones in one state. We had the Pacific, Yukon (which was skipped), Alaska, Bering, and Aleutian time zones.

I was working for a large multi-national company; our branch office was in Anchorage. I was sent to the capital at Juneau for a couple of years to do a job over there. Anchorage was on Alaska Time; Juneau was on Pacific Time at that time.

The normal 8-hour workday in the construction industry in Alaska is from 7 AM to 3:30 PM. Keeping in contact with my home office was a nightmare; there was a 3-hour time difference between Juneau and Anchorage. On a large construction project there are often specification, and contract changes that must be communicated to the men in the field as quickly as possible, and some field conditions that must be communicated to the engineers in the home office quickly.

This was in the early 1980s, before cell phones or the Internet existed. The best thing we had was Telex, remember that? If I needed to send or receive a Telex, I had to use the machine in the general contractors office. Not a viable option for speedy communications.

When I arrived at work at 7 AM Pacific Time, it was 4 AM in Anchorage on Alaska Time. When the office there opened at 8 AM, it was10 AM my time. When I left the job at 3:30 PM Pacific Time, it was 12:30 PM in Anchorage. The people at that office were still at lunch then. That made just a two-hour window each day when I could communicate, or be reached by my office.

The bean counters at corporate headquarters would never approve a company paid phone or Telex in my home. If something was really urgent, our office people would call me there, and sometimes I would call them in the evening on my nickel. After a while, the women answering the phones in the Anchorage office didn’t know who I was and they would not accept my collect calls without a huge hassle.

Ever since I worked on that job, I have maintained a home office. I don’t really need one now, but old habits die hard.

Years later, a Governor with some sense unified the Time zones in Alaska to just two, Alaska Time, and Aleutian Time at the far end of The Aleutian Island chain, you are right next to Russia out there.

They say time is money, I am no longer working, but old habits die hard. I want to know what time it is.

Rex

johanson

Mar 11, 2007, 12:30 PM

Post #22 of 42 (9590 views)

Shortcut

Me to Rex. I guess though, I can't understand why so many folks are having a problem here, especially with their computers, all you have to do, using your XP operating system is to simply choose the correct time zone for the correct location. I wanted GMT plus six hours, which is the same as the Central Time zone.

I also needed to enter the area of the world I was in so that the Central time displayed for that area would be correct.

So very simply I placed my mouse icon over the time shown at the bottom right of the screen, I double left-clicked on the time and up came a popup screen titled "Date and Time Properties" I then left-clicked on the "Time Zone" tab. Then I chose the Central time option, not for the US or Canada, or Central America, but the one that is labeled "Guadalajara, Mexico City, Monterrey".

So guess what? The time shown on my laptop is the correct time here in the suburbs of Guadalajara along the shores of Lake Chapala.

Bubba

Mar 11, 2007, 1:10 PM

Post #23 of 42 (9577 views)

Shortcut

Of course, Jalisco should be on Mountain Time and Chiapas should be on Central Time. And the entire nation of Mexico should stop sucking up to Bi Brother and stay on Standard Time all year since this far south it doesn´t mean anything. During standard time segments, the day is fully underway in Chiapas at 7:00AM and just getting started in Jalisco.

In Europe or places such as Seattle and Vancouver , where the summer days are much longer than the dark cold winter days and Europeans are trying to thaw out and party until midnight while Frozen Tundrans are planting rutabagas and preparing that whitefish and lye dish they treasure, our days here in Mexico are pretty much more boring miraculous sunny days just a wee bit changed from month the month.

This is no problem for retirees you say? Well if you have four large dogs and a rat to pick up after before the yardman arrives at dawn so he won´t think you a flojo pig, you would see the importance of this issue. It is a step-in-it issue.

Anyway, everyone knows that Wal*Mart is behind this scheme to squeeze another few bucks out of us during daylight hours.

donemry

Mar 12, 2007, 7:07 AM

Post #24 of 42 (9491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] DST confusion

Did I miss the war, famine and pestilence being caused by DST? Maybe a different news channel carried it.

Much ado about not much except change. Of course that is very frightening to a lot of people. Maintain the status quo, don't make me think or do!!

Brian

Mar 12, 2007, 8:24 AM

Post #25 of 42 (9471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] DST confusion

In Reply To
Did I miss the war, famine and pestilence being caused by DST? Maybe a different news channel carried it.

Much ado about not much except change. Of course that is very frightening to a lot of people. Maintain the status quo, don't make me think or do!!

Where do you live? Have you had to conduct any transactions that involve the two countries? If not, then you haven't missed anything. Posts such as your's reveal a basic un-awareness of the dynamics of the border. It reminds me of the line in the movie "Traffic" in which the protagonist cop states "I think it's time that the United States pays attention to Tijuana, now!"

Excerpt from the Dallas News:

"The U.S. Department of Energy will be studying the nation's energy impact and sending Congress a report, DOE spokesman Tom Welch said.
He said the experiment is also about the effect on people's lives, ranging from mood changes to whether there are more accidents due to disrupted sleep.
As Crouse crosses south each day, there are others crossing north, including workers and some students at the University of Texas-Brownsville. They will lose an hour.
Thelma Sullivan, UTB's coordinator for international student services, said students didn't seem aware of the change until she told them.
"At first they said, 'Oh no, it's not going to affect me,'" she said. "I said, 'Oh, well what time is your class? If it's at 8, now it's going to be at 7' and they said 'Oops, I guess I'm going to get up early.'"

And for those who didn't know, there are several hundred school-age children who lineup daily to cross legally using the Sentri lanes to attend classes in San Diego.

Brian

(This post was edited by Brian on Mar 12, 2007, 8:39 AM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4