Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

PR

Jan 3, 2002, 10:47 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2566 views)

Shortcut

Car Security

Can't Post |
I am going to be staying in Baja for a while and so am bringing stuff down in my car ie. laptop computer, camera, sleeping bag, suitcases, etc. I may be traveling alone and am driving a car which has no trunk. I will most likely just throw a blanket over this stuff (as I do when I'm driving in Canada) so it's not in plain sight. When I stop to eat or sightsee along the way in my four-day drive (or for any reason when I need to leave my car), do I need to be concerned about my stuff during the day or just when I'm sleeping somewhere overnight? Thanks!

Al

Jan 3, 2002, 2:00 PM

Post #2 of 12 (2563 views)

Shortcut

Car Security

Can't Post |
If you value what you leave under a blanket or even in your trunk, which you dont have, use your car alarm or install one if you dont have one. You need to be concern at all times <p>: I am going to be staying in Baja for a while and so am bringing stuff down in my car ie. laptop computer, camera, sleeping bag, suitcases, etc. I may be traveling alone and am driving a car which has no trunk. I will most likely just throw a blanket over this stuff (as I do when I'm driving in Canada) so it's not in plain sight. When I stop to eat or sightsee along the way in my four-day drive (or for any reason when I need to leave my car), do I need to be concerned about my stuff during the day or just when I'm sleeping somewhere overnight? Thanks!<p>

Pernel

Jan 4, 2002, 2:42 AM

Post #3 of 12 (2562 views)

Shortcut

I use a lock box chained to the frame

Can't Post |
: I am going to be staying in Baja for a while and so am bringing stuff down in my car ie. laptop computer, camera, sleeping bag, suitcases, etc. I may be traveling alone and am driving a car which has no trunk. I will most likely just throw a blanket over this stuff (as I do when I'm driving in Canada) so it's not in plain sight. When I stop to eat or sightsee along the way in my four-day drive (or for any reason when I need to leave my car), do I need to be concerned about my stuff during the day or just when I'm sleeping somewhere overnight? Thanks!<p>I use a lock box chained to the frame of the seat on my Toyota for my cameras and computer and paperwork. Plus a chain and lock through the bumper on the rear canopy window and steel spacer bars to stop the rear slider windows. A 'Grab the Clutch Pedal' safety and a hunky chain around the steering wheel too! So far no problems (Gracias Adios!). ALWAYS park in a secure motel or hotel lot if possible at night. I usually take everything into the room at night.<p>Good Luck!
Pernel

Pernel

Jan 4, 2002, 2:51 AM

Post #4 of 12 (2563 views)

Shortcut

One More Car Security Tip...

Can't Post |
If you are REALLY paranoid, remove your ignition rotor and coil wire at night. That's an OLD HIPPY 70's VW Van trick. It Works!<p>

alex

Jan 4, 2002, 2:36 PM

Post #5 of 12 (2563 views)

Shortcut

the blanket alone

Can't Post |
is enough to get the car window broken, its getting cold at night. I had a window bashed out for a thermos of coffee and some fig newtons. My wife's car had a window bashed out so someone could sleep inside during the night. NOTHING should be visible from the outside.
Alex

Ernie Gorrie

Jan 5, 2002, 11:26 AM

Post #6 of 12 (2563 views)

Shortcut

Hawaii Advice

Can't Post |
That reminds me of advice friends of mine received when they rented a car in Hawaii. They were told to empty the car and leave the car doors unlocked when they were away from the vehicle.<p>The rationale was that thefts from cars was so rampant then, that cars were being broken into on speculation there was something in them. In many cases, the cost of the vehicle damage repair was greater than the cost of goods stolen, if any.

Pernel

Jan 5, 2002, 12:11 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2562 views)

Shortcut

Costa Rican Advice

Can't Post |
: That reminds me of advice friends of mine received when they rented a car in Hawaii. They were told to empty the car and leave the car doors unlocked when they were away from the vehicle.<p>: The rationale was that thefts from cars was so rampant then, that cars were being broken into on speculation there was something in them. In many cases, the cost of the vehicle damage repair was greater than the cost of goods stolen, if any.<p>In Costa Rica I was told to empty the rental car and leave it unlocked. We tested it, by leaving some small coins on the driver side floor. They were gone in the morning!

PR

Jan 5, 2002, 4:27 PM

Post #8 of 12 (2563 views)

Shortcut

Costa Rican Advice

Can't Post |
Yeah, but you can't empty the car every time you stop for a bathroom break or to eat in a cafe during the day. Particularly if you're driving alone. So what then?<p>: : That reminds me of advice friends of mine received when they rented a car in Hawaii. They were told to empty the car and leave the car doors unlocked when they were away from the vehicle.<p>: : The rationale was that thefts from cars was so rampant then, that cars were being broken into on speculation there was something in them. In many cases, the cost of the vehicle damage repair was greater than the cost of goods stolen, if any.<p>: In Costa Rica I was told to empty the rental car and leave it unlocked. We tested it, by leaving some small coins on the driver side floor. They were gone in the morning!<p>

David Eidell

Jan 5, 2002, 9:44 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2563 views)

Shortcut

Car Security

Can't Post |
Try to bypass the region from the border to perhaps San Quintin to stay overnight. Avoid stopping at all until you clear Ensenada. South of San Quintin about six miles is the turnoff for the Cielito Lindo Hotel. Look for the sign for the La Pinta Hotel -- same road. This place is safe for overnight.<p>In Guererro Negro, look for the Malarrimo Hotel -- another safe bet.<p>Don't sweat security while dining. At any rate Baja has a ways to go before it gets like "National Lampoon's Vacation" <p>A sort of weak insurance is to scribble "Perro Bravo" (mean dog) on a sheet of paper and tape it inside the window.<p>Out of sight out of mind, let the hotel manager keep your laptop and camera when you're out for the day or night.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

Al

Jan 6, 2002, 12:13 AM

Post #10 of 12 (2561 views)

Shortcut

Costa Rican Advice

Can't Post |
: Yeah, but you can't empty the car every time you stop for a bathroom break or to eat in a cafe during the day. Particularly if you're driving alone. So what then?<p>Do what you must do in the restroom but do it mighty fast! At the cafe try to park so that you visually can see your vehicle. If you cant, well apply the same speed as in in the restroom.
Be cautious at all times.

alex

Jan 9, 2002, 3:21 PM

Post #11 of 12 (2565 views)

Shortcut

don't forget about the WHOLE car

Can't Post |
Last year Baja averaged 72 stolen cars per day. We only had 43 kidnappings, though (that we know about)
Alex<p>Campo de delitos
Baja California y Tijuana representan zonas de alta incidencia delictiva.
Homicidios 471*
Secuestros 43*
Robo de Vehículo 26,282*
Delitos contra la Salud 2,929*
En Tijuana.... 2001 2002
Homicidios 271 5
Secuestros 18 0
*Diagnóstico del Cetys Universidad sobre Seguridad Pública en Baja
California.
Fuente: PGJE y Estadísticas de Frontera.

goddessdemaya

Jan 14, 2002, 8:46 PM

Post #12 of 12 (2561 views)

Shortcut

Car Security

Can't Post |
is this only for Baja or for all of Mexico?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4