Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

PR

Jan 4, 2002, 12:25 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2862 views)

Shortcut

Spare Car Parts

Can't Post |
I am driving a Honda into Baja. I've heard that there aren't any repair places for Hondas. Should I carry spare parts with me and if so, which ones? Thanks!

David Eidell

Jan 4, 2002, 8:50 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2862 views)

Shortcut

Spare Car Parts

Can't Post |
Have a mechanic you trust do a meticulous examination and preventative maintenance workout on your car. Let him know that you are planning on driving south of the border and maybe he'll put extra effort into the exam.<p>I wouldn't worry too much unless your car has a lot of miles on it. If push comes to shove you can jump on a bus and in less than a day be in the middle of San Diego.<p>From experience I can tell you that Honda alternators and starters are good for a hundred thousand miles and that's about all you can really count on. <p>I would carry a set of fan belts, a couple of fuel filters and a set of jumper cables (to start someone else less fortunate of course).<p>Tires take a beating on Baja roads. Make sure yours aren't ready to fall apart.<p>
Saludos!<p>
David

mrchuck

Jan 6, 2002, 8:58 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2864 views)

Shortcut

Spare Car Parts

Can't Post |
David is correct. I drive a Honda here amongst all the Toyotas and Nissans. The Honda's reputation for reliability,no repairs etc, is known here and all locals want one. Very popular. More and more show up, but the price seems higher than the Toyotas coming in. Sinserely, mc<p>
: Have a mechanic you trust do a meticulous examination and preventative maintenance workout on your car. Let him know that you are planning on driving south of the border and maybe he'll put extra effort into the exam.<p>: I wouldn't worry too much unless your car has a lot of miles on it. If push comes to shove you can jump on a bus and in less than a day be in the middle of San Diego.<p>: From experience I can tell you that Honda alternators and starters are good for a hundred thousand miles and that's about all you can really count on. <p>: I would carry a set of fan belts, a couple of fuel filters and a set of jumper cables (to start someone else less fortunate of course).<p>: Tires take a beating on Baja roads. Make sure yours aren't ready to fall apart.<p>:
: Saludos!<p>:
: David<p>

PR

Jan 6, 2002, 10:05 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2863 views)

Shortcut

Spare Car Parts

Can't Post |
Does this make Hondas more vulnerable to being stolen?<p>
: David is correct. I drive a Honda here amongst all the Toyotas and Nissans. The Honda's reputation for reliability,no repairs etc, is known here and all locals want one. Very popular. More and more show up, but the price seems higher than the Toyotas coming in. Sinserely, mc<p>:
: : Have a mechanic you trust do a meticulous examination and preventative maintenance workout on your car. Let him know that you are planning on driving south of the border and maybe he'll put extra effort into the exam.<p>: : I wouldn't worry too much unless your car has a lot of miles on it. If push comes to shove you can jump on a bus and in less than a day be in the middle of San Diego.<p>: : From experience I can tell you that Honda alternators and starters are good for a hundred thousand miles and that's about all you can really count on. <p>: : I would carry a set of fan belts, a couple of fuel filters and a set of jumper cables (to start someone else less fortunate of course).<p>: : Tires take a beating on Baja roads. Make sure yours aren't ready to fall apart.<p>: :
: : Saludos!<p>: :
: : David<p>

mrchuck

Jan 7, 2002, 10:47 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2863 views)

Shortcut

Spare Car Parts

Can't Post |
:I have never had a car stolen in Mexico. I live in a small village in Baja, BCS. I do take precautions lately. But in San Diego, CA. USA, I have had 2 cars stolen and both were taken to Mexico,and both using my cellular phone, while driving in TJ and Ensenada. The SD police filled out the report, laughed, said nothing they can do. 55 a day just like mine, goes to Mexico. Go buy another one... The Mexican police say same, was stolen in USA.... Your car is safer in Mexico than in the USA, just my opinion. Saludos, mc<p><p> Does this make Hondas more vulnerable to being stolen?<p>:
: : David is correct. I drive a Honda here amongst all the Toyotas and Nissans. The Honda's reputation for reliability,no repairs etc, is known here and all locals want one. Very popular. More and more show up, but the price seems higher than the Toyotas coming in. Sinserely, mc<p>: :
: : : Have a mechanic you trust do a meticulous examination and preventative maintenance workout on your car. Let him know that you are planning on driving south of the border and maybe he'll put extra effort into the exam.<p>: : : I wouldn't worry too much unless your car has a lot of miles on it. If push comes to shove you can jump on a bus and in less than a day be in the middle of San Diego.<p>: : : From experience I can tell you that Honda alternators and starters are good for a hundred thousand miles and that's about all you can really count on. <p>: : : I would carry a set of fan belts, a couple of fuel filters and a set of jumper cables (to start someone else less fortunate of course).<p>: : : Tires take a beating on Baja roads. Make sure yours aren't ready to fall apart.<p>: : :
: : : Saludos!<p>: : :
: : : David<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4